Accent Vibrato vs Bigsby B5

The short-scale model that changed history

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

JWL1964

Accent Vibrato vs Bigsby B5

Post by JWL1964 »

Hi guys,

I have a 325 that currently has an 'R' tailpiece, (making it a 320 technically I suppose!) and I want to add either an accent vibrato or Bigsby b5.

My Ric has a white TRC and pickguard so I thought the accent would be more in keeping with Lennon specs (circa 1964-65), but the bigsby looks more 'useable' to me and since I've never used either I was interested as to everyone's opinions on the pros and cons on both systems and which you'd choose?

cheers!
beefandbones
Intermediate Member

Re: Accent Vibrato vs Bigsby B5

Post by beefandbones »

I like the Accent on my 1996 well enough, but if I use it for anything stronger than a tiny bit of vibrato, it tends to pull the high E and B strings out of tune. I played a 325 with a bigsby on it, though, and I liked it quite a bit. I thought it had a smoother action than the Accent. The disadvantage to the Bigsby is, of course, that you have to screw it into the top of the guitar, thus irreversably modding your guitar. The Accent is a direct replacement for your R tailpiece. I don't tend to use the vibrato very much, though, so the Accent is fine with me.
wj350
Advanced Member

Post by wj350 »

I've got both, and don't really use either one, LOL....

There's just not that much, if anything that I play that uses it. From a practical standpoint, the best reasons for putting a Bigsby on a 325 is to replace a Kaufman if so equipped (though a trapeze will work just fine!), and of course to convey that Lennon vibe. It's a good vibrato, like I said, I just mainly wanted to get rid of the Kaufman and replicate Lennon's.

Of course then it depends on how much you plan on using a vibrato. If it were me modifying a 320, I'd probably go the Accent route, if you can find one. It will get you closer to Lennon's 2nd Ric in appearance, and I think it's a really nice unit--lightweight, simple in design, easier to change strings on, etc..

FWIW...

Bill
"Let me take you down...'cause I'm going to...."
JWL1964

Post by JWL1964 »

Thanks very much for the advice guys, much appreciated.

It looks like I've got a long wait ahead of me if I want to get hold of an Accent as they seem to be completely unavailable everywhere at the moment at any price, which makes me sway a little towards the Bigsby. But then I would love to get closer to that Lennon look.... Decisions, Decisions! :D
yettoblaster
Veteran RRF member

Post by yettoblaster »

Mine had an Accent.
Hated it.
Lots of stiction.
Bigsby would be more effective if you use a trem.
Accent is better if you like being out of tune even if you don't use the trem.

Sounds harsh I guess. YMMV.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

I use my Accents all the time; I think they work great! :D
beatlefreak

Post by beatlefreak »

With a Bigsby, you don't have to worry about impaling your hand on the vibrato arm.

Return to “Rickenbacker Vintage 325 Models: by Glen Lambert”