Where Are john lennons Rickenbackers??

The short-scale model that changed history

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

route66guitars

Re: Where Are john lennons Rickenbackers??

Post by route66guitars »

kiramdear wrote:Here's his 325/12. I've seen a picture of John Hall holding this guitar before they (he?) handed it to John.
The 325-12 was shipped to their manager’s London office, and actually went missing for a while while in transit.
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

route66guitars wrote:If the bass appeared on a Radio-Tel invoice (sales), not a Rickenbacker invoice (manufacturing), that meant it had already left the factory and been delivered to the sales office by Rickenbacker, right? This pretty much guarantees the bass was completed, as in 1964 they weren’t in the same building. I’ve never seen the Radio-Tel invoice for the 4001S, who does it list as being the Customer? There are photos in RIC’s archives of the hotel room where F.C. set up the display for the Beatles, and the 4001S was there. Maybe John or one of RIC’s employees on the forum who had access to the Radio-Tel invoice will post the image of the hotel room display.
It is an internal Radio-Tel document with the heading 'New Product'....described as a "4000, +1 pickup, (Fire), left-handed"...#DA 23...verbal (Hall)..."

The document was copied and published in 'Beatlesgear' by Andy Babiuk, and along with the bass being on the the ticket there are some amps and cabinets as well.....possibly the amps made the trip to NYC as well.....
route66guitars

Post by route66guitars »

leftybass wrote:
route66guitars wrote:If the bass appeared on a Radio-Tel invoice (sales), not a Rickenbacker invoice (manufacturing), that meant it had already left the factory and been delivered to the sales office by Rickenbacker, right? This pretty much guarantees the bass was completed, as in 1964 they weren’t in the same building. I’ve never seen the Radio-Tel invoice for the 4001S, who does it list as being the Customer? There are photos in RIC’s archives of the hotel room where F.C. set up the display for the Beatles, and the 4001S was there. Maybe John or one of RIC’s employees on the forum who had access to the Radio-Tel invoice will post the image of the hotel room display.
It is an internal Radio-Tel document with the heading 'New Product'....described as a "4000, +1 pickup, (Fire), left-handed"...#DA 23...verbal (Hall)..."

The document was copied and published in 'Beatlesgear' by Andy Babiuk, and along with the bass being on the the ticket there are some amps and cabinets as well.....possibly the amps made the trip to NYC as well.....
Thanks. I’ll pull out the book and have a look. I’ve been looking for the image of the hotel room setup, but so far no luck.
John C.

Post by John C. »

wj350 wrote:
route66guitars wrote:... They’re your memories, but it was his *guitar*. End of story.
Maybe, but he was wrong about that freaking white pick guard. :D :wink:
This question goes on and on. When I interviewed DeMarino, he swore up and down that after he refinished V81 he asked for and kept the tuners, which were in turn stolen from him, and replaced the original pickguard (also a gift from Lennon) with another gold one. He planned to auction off the original pickguard, but I've never heard anything further about that. Yet every subsequent photo shows a white pickguard. So go figure. The interview:

http://www.thecanteen.com/ron.html
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Welcome, John! Your site is a touchstone for many of us.
wj350
Advanced Member

Post by wj350 »

Roger that--interesting John, thanks for sharing!!

Bill
"Let me take you down...'cause I'm going to...."

Return to “Rickenbacker Vintage 325 Models: by Glen Lambert”