Headstock reshape 325V59

The short-scale model that changed history

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

1OUfan

Headstock reshape 325V59

Post by 1OUfan »

I just recently had the headstock on my 325V59 JG reshaped to the thinner profile and it looks so much better! I had the work done by a local luthier here in southwest Ohio and I couldn't be more more pleased :D To my eye it is as close to the "Lennon" V81 look as I have seen. If I knew for sure how to post photos I would. Oh yeah, the luthier is Mark Kaiser of Franklin, Ohio. Mark is a certified Martin repairman. He's a genuinely nice guy as well as a very very skilled luthier, wood-worker and finish guy. He takes the time to discuss the job with you and gets all of the details right. I had seen several broken headstocks (Gibsons) that he had repaired, and the repairs were virtually undetectable, so I knew that if I could get the template and some very good photos, that he could do the job. He's very reasonble in his pricing and he gets the job finished in a very acceptable time. He now has the photos and the basic template, so that part of the work has been done.
If you need or would like to have your Ric headstock reshaped and you live in the Southern Ohio/Southeast Indiana/ Northern Kentucky area, Mark's the guy to see. By the way, I have no interest in his business, I'm just so pleased with the job that he did, I thought I'd share with you all. His e-mail is mark@fretrepairbymark.com
Bob
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Re: Headstock reshape 325V59

Post by doctorwho »

Bob, if you want, e-mail me the pictures and I'll post them for you. My e-mail address is in my profile.
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
Advanced Member

Post by 1965 »

But are your knobs in the right place?
1OUfan

Post by 1OUfan »

Wes---
I thought we were talking about guitars here----your question sounds mighty personal to me :lol:
No they're not, but like the headstock, they're close enough for me.
Bob
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

What kind of finish did he use? CV? Nitro? :?:
1OUfan

Post by 1OUfan »

jps wrote:What kind of finish did he use? CV? Nitro? :?:
He said lacquer, so I'm guessing nitrocellulose.
Bob
Advanced Member

Post by 1965 »

1OUfan wrote:Wes---
I thought we were talking about guitars here----your question sounds mighty personal to me :lol:
No they're not, but like the headstock, they're close enough for me.
Bob
If I had a V, that's probably the first thing I'd fix, but that's just me.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

1OUfan wrote:
jps wrote:What kind of finish did he use? CV? Nitro? :?:
He said lacquer, so I'm guessing nitrocellulose.
Bob
This is an issue with luthiers...very few want to go through the trouble of using the correct materials, but will spray nitro.

Nitro over CV may prove to be stable, as one will not " burn in" (blend physically) with the other. You may see the blend line or "halo" in the surface of the paint after awhile.

This is just an FYI; believe me, I'm not scouting work...but I do wish that more luthiers would learn CV. Rickenbacker isn't the only company using it, and lacquer just isn't a good match for it, chemically speaking, over time.

Return to “Rickenbacker Vintage 325 Models: by Glen Lambert”