I need a 325 expert to help me please

The short-scale model that changed history

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

BarrySe53

I need a 325 expert to help me please

Post by BarrySe53 »

I own a brand new 325c58 in Mapleglo-just beautiful. I also purchased a 325v59 made in the 26th week of 2002. It's jetglo. First off. I am starting to wonder if it's a 325c58 someone modified. The pickups test to 7.8 . It has an uncovered roller bridge like the c58 and it appears everybit as light weight as my 58. There's no top pickguard which may have been lost. The tuners are the same as the 58. The fretboard although somewhat darker is un-finished and I can't tell if there is a body thickness difference.

At first glance it appears to be a nice shiney mint condition guitar. once I looked it over it appears like the wood is dried and slit under the finish. Almost like the guitar has sat in a dry home for several years. I can't feel any splits, but they appear to be distint lines of varied length all through the top. Is this characteristic of a jetglow Rick.

I am not real worried because I did pay through Paypal. Although it's not an Ebay item,, I assume I can file a not as advertised complaint should the seller not respond.

So my question are short off calling Ric with the serial number is there another way to verify the model. And what about this finish. Feels smooth but looks like dried split wood that's been sealed over. Either that or it hasn't cracked enough to break the finish. Any thoughts are most appreciated. Maybe Mr. Lambert can spare a comment.

I was sold a Mint condition 2002 325v59. Did I recieve a dried out touched up modified C58? I really need some help
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Re: I need a 325 expert to help me please

Post by libratune »

Okay, I've wanted to do this for awhile. Here's a comparison of the cosmetic features of the 325V59 JG vs. the 325C58, using the two models that I own:

Model 325V59 JG (2001)
Body thickness at butt end: 1.75”
Fretboard: Finished
Tuners: Klusons/round bushings
Vibrola: Bigsby top-mounted; separate strap button
Bridge: Non-roller with bridge cover
Weight: (my guitar) Heavier (7 lbs 2 oz)
Pickguard: 2-level; “brassy” gold
Jackplate: 1 x 1.375”
Switch Tip: Black
Headstock: Paddle/Wider
TRC: 6.75” long/ “made in USA” script under logo
Production 1984 - 2001

Model 325C58 JG (2009)
Body thickness at butt end: 2.00”
Fretboard: Unfinished
Tuners: Grover Sta-Tite (open back)/hex bushings
Vibrola: Kauffman mounted on 4-screw bracket at strap button
Bridge: Roller with no bridge cover or cover mounting holes
Weight: (my guitars) Lighter (5 lbs 6 oz)
Pickguard: Single; “antique” gold
Jackplate: Elongated 1.25 x 3”
Switch Tip: White
Headstock: Vintage/Narrower
TRC: 6.0” long; no “made in USA” script
Production: 2002 - 2009

I am sure I have overlooked and possibly mis-stated something, so others will chime in.

I am no expert, just looking at two guitars.

Now I have to go back and read your email to hazard a guess as to which model you have.
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

Barry, it seems to me that you've got an early 325C58. Based on your observations, it seems to have C58 features. You didn't mention the type of vibrola, but if there is a Bigsby mounted on your 325, which is a possible aftermarket mod to the C58, check the bottom by the strap button to see if there are 4 holes where a Kauffman bracket used to be. If there are, this is more evidence that it's a C58. Also the elongated jackplate should be a giveaway, but I am not expert enough to know whether that was on the earliest C58s or not.

I hope this has been helpful.
beatlefreak

Post by beatlefreak »

There is a very noticable weight difference between a V59 and a C58. The V59 is heavier and has a thinner body.
Ka is a wheel.
BarrySe53

Post by BarrySe53 »

libratune wrote:Okay, I've wanted to do this for awhile. Here's a comparison of the cosmetic features of the 325V59 JG vs. the 325C58, using the two models that I own:

Model 325V59 JG (2001)
This one is an 02 made 26th week of
Body thickness at butt end: 1.75”
Same size as my C58
Fretboard: Finished
( Un finished)
Tuners: Klusons/round bushings
( Grover Sta-Tite (open back)/hex bushings)
Vibrola: Bigsby top-mounted; separate strap button
( This it does have although mounted with 4 screws_
Bridge: Non-roller with bridge cover
(No bridge cover and roller bridge)
Weight: (my guitar) Heavier (7 lbs 2 oz)
Weighs 6lbs with Bigsby on it)
Pickguard: 2-level; “brassy” gold
( Antique)
Jackplate: 1 x 1.375” (
Not sure what you mean by elongated -but jack plate appears the same as on c58)
Switch Tip: Black
(Cream)
Headstock: Paddle/Wider
(It's a C58 Headstock)
TRC: 6.75” long/ “made in USA” script under logo
(no made in USA)
Production 1984 - 2001

Thanks this helps alot- It tells me it's a 2002 325c58 . The Bigsby doesn't quite go flat to the body . Some where I read that's how it fits. The Seller had a 100% Ebay Rating with 300 Transactions so I assumed he was an honest guy. When I approached him he offered me a better price to avoid Ebay - But we still used Paypal. I did pay a fair price of 1900.00 but I don't want 2 C-58's . Also my C-58 I put a trapeze on. It seems to be much easier to play than this one with the Bigsby. Burns me up though.
wj350
Advanced Member

Post by wj350 »

Ron, thanks for that comparo, it's a keeper for future references.

There's a very good possibility that the seller honestly didn't know the difference between the c58 and v59 models--I've seen that before--it's possible someone sold the guitar to him as a v59 and he assumed it to be true. A lot of Beatle fans, in particular, just think in terms of two different 325s--the Sullivan or earlier model, and the Miami and later model.

As an aside, while I always caveat my opinions on things like finishes by admitting I'm no expert (far from it!), what you describe with your finish sounds fairly typical of the shrinkage that occurs with an older conversion-varnish finished guitar. The finish kinda shrinks into the wood grain a bit--I recently sold an '03 MG c58 that had almost the same physical characteristics you describe.

FWIW, IMO, you still got a pretty good deal on it at $1900, but I understand your frustration if you specifically were looking for a v59.

Bill
"Let me take you down...'cause I'm going to...."
BarrySe53

Post by BarrySe53 »

Bill

Thanks for that info. I started wondering that this morning ( About the wood) I had bought a 350V63 in Jetglo that was new from a Dealer but already 2 years old. I didn't care for the long scale in that guitar so I sold it. After reading what you posted about the wood. I remember that guitar had a little of that going on. You've at least made me feel better. I know I could turn the guitar around-but I don't want the hassle. I probably could even make a couple hundred. That Bigsby adds to the selling price more than it should. It also makes it a hot ticket by comparison with one without the Bigsby. Personally after playing the guitar with and without I prefer the trapeze tailpiece for play ability.

The more I go over the transaction in my head. I specifically asked the guy if he was the original owner and if the guitar was indeed a V59 with 12k toasters and the Factory Bigsby. His exact words were . Oh yeah, Most definitely. So being an optimist at heart. I've chosen to believe for now that he lied about being the original owner. As I wrote those words I remember asking where the top pickguard went. He said he had taken it off for the look and the dog chewed it up. SO I guess I have to go with he's a liar. Just not sure about what exactly. :)
egosheep
Intermediate Member

Post by egosheep »

I don't know how much you paid, but I would be pleasantly surprised with a second c58. :)
Great Ramp In My Opinion.
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Post by deaconblues »

egosheep wrote:I don't know how much you paid, but I would be pleasantly surprised with a second c58. :)
I would too!
beatlefreak

Post by beatlefreak »

Yes, if you got a C58 for a V59 price, you got a great deal.
Ka is a wheel.
BarrySe53

Post by BarrySe53 »

dpowell wrote:
egosheep wrote:I don't know how much you paid, but I would be pleasantly surprised with a second c58. :)
I would too!
Actually I was rather disappointed: Simply because I want the different sound. What am I going to do with 2 325c58. What's a 325c58 worth these days? Maybe someone here can have a good deal on the one I don't keep:) I was curious as to how the 10 Radius board was going to be compared to the 7.25. What would be a good price for a Mint condition Lennonized 325c58 in Jet glo?
wj350
Advanced Member

Post by wj350 »

325 prices have been all over the board of late it seems. Still, I think you could probably turn your Lennonized 325 for at least $100-200 more than you paid.

Downside is it's a pretty specific market--someone who really likes The Beatles and particularly someone who really likes JL. IMO you could sell it today and get your money back.

The upsides are Ric's not taking new orders on them, the prices of the new models they're still putting out against back orders is pretty high, and the Lennon mods are usually around $200 +/- for someone to do on their own.

Here's a thought--you might try putting it up as a trade to see if there's someone out there with a v59 who wants a c58. In addition to this place, there are a few other venues that are even more Beatle-specific in terms of their participants.

Bill
"Let me take you down...'cause I'm going to...."
tracy
Veteran RRF member

Post by tracy »

In regard to the top pickguard story, well, the dog did eat my homework so it might be true.
sped55miles

Post by sped55miles »

I think you should be pleased with both. the guitars have gone for a much higher price 2,700 to 3,000 the highest.

Return to “Rickenbacker Vintage 325 Models: by Glen Lambert”