1967 Fireglow 325

The short-scale model that changed history

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Simmers08

1967 Fireglow 325

Post by Simmers08 »

Seems like an amazing deal for $1,700 or am I wrong? Nice guitar though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1967-Rickenbacker-3 ... 3caaf134c8
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Re: 1967 Fireglow 325

Post by libratune »

This is a scam and has been reported to ebay.

Look at the verbiage in the middle of the ad. This is a hijacked account with seller contact only through a private email address, not ebay. This kind of scam was common several months ago and usually only done on the weekends. Haven't seen it recently but here it is again.
Simmers08

Post by Simmers08 »

libratune wrote:This is a scam and has been reported to ebay.

Look at the verbiage in the middle of the ad. This is a hijacked account with seller contact only through a private email address, not ebay. This kind of scam was common several months ago and usually only done on the weekends. Haven't seen it recently but here it is again.

Oh ok, thanks for the heads up. I thought it seemed REALLY strange.
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

Yep, Scam-O-roonie.
Ricara

Post by Ricara »

Such a nice guitar, too!

I wonder where he got the photos?
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

Ricara wrote:Such a nice guitar, too!
Photos were from ebay auction held in Dec. 2009; guitar sold for $6000 and is listed on the Register with the photos from the ebay ad, also included in the scam ad: http://www.rickresource.com/register/vi ... hp?id=5479
collin

Post by collin »

libratune wrote:
Ricara wrote:Such a nice guitar, too!
Photos were from ebay auction held in Dec. 2009; guitar sold for $6000 and is listed on the Register with the photos from the ebay ad, also included in the scam ad: http://www.rickresource.com/register/vi ... hp?id=5479

Much as I hate think they would ruin the pictures, it would be nice to have an RRF "watermark" on the front of all the resource pics, so people can't steal them.

This isnt the 1st, 2nd or even 10th time people have done this.

That said, I'm not exactly offering do modify pictures of 10,000 guitars either. :lol:
Simmers08

Post by Simmers08 »

It's back.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/1967-Rickenbacker-3 ... 335af80c0e

Why can't they stop these people? This is extremely illegal. I sure hope no one is getting taken by this.
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

It's gone. In this type of scam, the scammer has to hijack a working ebay account. It's a mystery to me how that is done, but it happens.

FWIW, in response to Collin's comment, I am not aware of instances where photos have been lifted from the Register and used for scams. In the case of this instrument, photos from the original ebay ad were transferred to the Register. I don't know where the scammer got them, but I would be surprised if it was from the Register.

IMO, outside of the Rickenbacker community, not all that many people are aware of the Register. As the RRF and the Register grow in recognition, however, the pirating of photos from the Register could become more of an issue.
collin

Post by collin »

ah, yeah----I may have counted other similar instances in my total. :oops:

I guess that's actually a benefit to people as they could (if they were informed) look up the guitar in the register beforehand, and see the identical ebay pics.

Still wouldn't deter some people though......they just see a deal and lose all sense :(
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

libratune wrote:In this type of scam, the scammer has to hijack a working ebay account. It's a mystery to me how that is done, but it happens.
Follow up: When I notified ebay about this scam, I also sent the seller an email that his account had been hijacked. I was pretty sure this was the case as he was selling antique jewelry and a 1967 Rick 325 just didn't fit with the rest of his stuff.

I received a reply from him today, thanking me and describing how his account was hijacked:

"Apparently, I answered a spoof ebay message and clicked the link to sign in and gave the hacker my password. When I got your email I checked my auction and -- talk about a panic attack!!!"

So it's as simple as that. Don't give your password out in response to an email link. Go directly to your account to log in. I get phishing emails from time to time, usually they are caught in my spam filter. I also forward them on to spoof@ebay.com or spoof@paypal.com, whichever.
Peacefrog35

Post by Peacefrog35 »

I've had it done to my account too when I sold a Fender Rhodes Piano bass.. it sold for $2500 and someone did the same thing with my account asking to only contact by email or the bid would be cancelled...they did it over and over like 10 times over 2 days.. ..I feel bad for anyone that falls for it...surely some people do that are mesmerized by what sounds like the deal of the century.
"Everyone's entitled to two aren't they....this is my other one!"

Return to “Rickenbacker Vintage 325 Models: by Glen Lambert”