I played one ... now I need one

The short-scale model that changed history

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Melma

I played one ... now I need one

Post by Melma »

A travelling friend of mine let me have a (brief) turn on his 325. I'm in love with it. I feel it is a somewhat doomed love affair, though. Living in Australia as I do, the nearest 325 is in a shop that shall rename nameless with a $5000 tag hanging off of it.

Folks in other countries seem to be able to get them for a -lot- less. Is this just something I'm going to have to accept as an Aussie, or if I keep my eyes open for a while, might a miracle happen? I'm not even necessarily looking for one in absolutely perfect shape... I'll go for anything, bearing in mind that if it's jetglo, it's going back to natural. *cough*

I dunno. It's really been on my mind lately and I felt like sharing my tale of woe with people who might know the feeling. :P
Much love.
winston
Membership Admin

Re: I played one ... now I need one

Post by winston »

Welcome to the forum Scotty. There are a number of forum members in Australia as you will likely soon discover. Good luck with your hunt. :D
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Melma wrote:Folks in other countries seem to be able to get them for a -lot- less...
But hey, ya got wallabies and wombats, that should make up for something...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:

Welcome to the fray! :D
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

But hey, ya got Aitch, that should make up for something... :mrgreen:
Welcome, mate! :D
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

jps wrote:But hey, ya got Aitch, that should make up for something... :mrgreen:
Welcome, mate! :D
Um... uhhh... oh, I better not...
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
Melma

Post by Melma »

"But hey, ya got wallabies and wombats"

I don't think I've ever even seen one or the other!
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

There was a used one on eBay only last week that went for a good price...

Going price for any 325 here in the USA is around 2K, or maybe a bit more. There are other short scale Ricks available in the USA for slightly less money; '80s 320s being one example.

Is that $5K AU or US, by the way? $5K AU isn't too bad...you'd be close to that buying one here and shipping it, as shipping a Rick to Oz runs about $400 US typically.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

"But hey, ya got wallabies and wombats"

I don't think I've ever even seen one or the other!
jingle_jangle wrote:There was a used one on eBay only last week that went for a good price...
:mrgreen:
gellkeller
Intermediate Member

Post by gellkeller »

Scotty, purchase one from the US. With the current conversion rate (1 AUD = 0.996450 USD) you will be miles in front even if you have to pay shipping, insurance, GST and other customs' charges. There will be no import duty chargeable due to the free trade agreement.

There is no better time to buy from the US as the aussie dollar is overvalued and won't last. The "pacific peso" will eventually fall so take advantage while you can

Welcome aboard.
Melma

Post by Melma »

"Is that $5K AU or US, by the way? $5K AU isn't too bad...you'd be close to that buying one here and shipping it, as shipping a Rick to Oz runs about $400 US typically."

We've been so close to parity lately that there'd be pretty much no reason to go for 5K.

"Going price for any 325 here in the USA is around 2K, or maybe a bit more. There are other short scale Ricks available in the USA for slightly less money; '80s 320s being one example."

Yep! I'm not sure when I'm going to push the big Rick button (haw haw!) but when I do I want to keep it as close to 2K as possible. I'm not going to be fussed about what shape it's going to be in (I love the hell out of my instruments - I maintain them, and clean 'em, but they all have their scars). Where possible I'm going to try find something in a natural finish, though. Buying jetglo would mean a refinish and that would just feel like sacrilege.

"The "pacific peso" will eventually fall so take advantage while you can "

I'm gonna do my level best. It's a hell of a time to be getting college fees together when I'd really rather just buy guitars. That's life huh :D

"Welcome aboard"

Thanks!! (and to anyone else who said welcome, too).
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Wow. Just checked the exchange rate between AU $ and USA $.

It ain't what it used to be, hey? :oops: :oops: :(
Melma

Post by Melma »

It's pretty astonishing! I wouldn't have guessed it five years ago, but then I know very little about money - other than that it comes, and it goes. !!
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

A belated welcome, Scotty! :)

Here's a teaser picture or two for you:
320 Silver, 325v59 JG, 325c58
320 Silver, 325v59 JG, 325c58
320 Red
320 Red
(I no longer have the 325c58 ...)
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
Melma

Post by Melma »

Consider me teased! Hahaha, very nice
Melma

Post by Melma »

Someone please buy me the v59 that's on Ebay at the moment. It's exactly what I'm after, but I can't buy one until February :P

Return to “Rickenbacker Vintage 325 Models: by Glen Lambert”