Anyone use Pyramid 12's Flats on their 325c64?

The short-scale model that changed history

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

JackAlan

Anyone use Pyramid 12's Flats on their 325c64?

Post by JackAlan »

Getting ready to restring soon. My 2007 Ric 325c64 came with a set of Ric round 12's on it and a new pack of Pyramid Gold Flats 13's in the case box. Is that too heavy a gauge. I'm maybe just barely burly enough for the 12 rounds. I will say I just love the Pyramid Gold Flat 11's on my 62 Reissue Gibson J-160E. Just love them.

What say ye on the 12's vs 13's for my little Ric? I do have a 2nd set of new Ric 12 rounds in the case but just wanted to know about the flats and people experience. I don't need the guitar to sound good UNPLUGGED either!! It is an electric guitar after all just like my J-160. :D

Thanks

Jack Alan
I learned everything I know about treating people from my Dog
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Re: Anyone use Pyramid 12's Flats on their 325c64?

Post by jingle_jangle »

Your Gibson is primarily an acoustic, especially if it's the Gibson version of the J-160E.

Note that the whole issue of Pyramids is kind of a sticky wicket :lol: in Rick circles...truth be told, both metallurgy and core gauge have changed since the 1960s; the result is that the sound will be different from vintage. I have a '67 625 strung with vintage Pyramids and the feel and sound is quite different from what Pyramid is selling these days.

A short-scale Rick is not known for sustain. Flatwounds will further cut whatever sustain it has. I don't have tension figures handy for the .013 flat Pyramids, but if they are like the rest of their guitar line, they will be higher tension than the Rick round wounds.

These are things to consider.

You might want to consider the T-I Jazz Flats in the heavier gauge, too.
clementc3

Post by clementc3 »

Opinions about Pyramid strings run both ways, with fans and non-fans. You can get some of the flavor here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=388246

Some people swear by the sound, others find them too stiff, and there is a lot of talk that they are relatively high tension, possibly higher than desirable for a Rickenbacker neck. I bought some but now I am too chicken to put them on. :D

(Note that the stiff feeling can be, but is not necessarily, caused by the supposedly higher tension - it can also be inherent in the metallurgical qualities of the string core.)
JackAlan

Post by JackAlan »

Hi Paul,

I have the ladder braced J-160E 1962 Re-issue version that Fuller has Gibson make with the ply-wood top & P90 pup. In my mind it is ONLY a great sounding plug in electric guitar. My wife calls it "play guitar" music if I play it just goofing off w/o plugging it in. Sounds really ratty unplugged for sure, with the flat wound Golds on it. I'm sure it can sound pretty good with bronze strings unplugged. Not like the new X braced version with the solid spruce top however that sounds really good to me unplugged. Just not at all like Beatles guitar though. I like my old style one. Seems like a big archtop to me playing plugged in if you wanted it too as well.

Clement, thanks for the post that I just read thru. Sounds like the 13's, esp. with Paul's expertise, makes that a risky item to put on my 325. I'll order me some 12's in the T-1 Jazz strings to try out. I had heard that the strings had changed from the 60's to now with the Pyramids but hasn't everyone's? I wasn't shaving yet in the 60's, or playing guitars in the early 60's either, but it seems like light gauge stings were 12's and most everyone had piano stings on their guitar with 13's. How they could play & stretch strings like they did show me how good a players those guys were vs how poor, weenie a player I am! :oops:

Jack Alan
I learned everything I know about treating people from my Dog
wj350
Advanced Member

Post by wj350 »

I think you'll be pretty happy with the TI Flat 12s. I thought the Pyramids (I tried 12s and 13s) felt like cables, but I'm not that accomplished a player perhaps to appreciate really heavy strings.
"Let me take you down...'cause I'm going to...."
bobbyemmett

Post by bobbyemmett »

a huge deciding factor for me would be amp choice, listen to a few different sets with the amp you're mainly pairing the guitar with..
beatboy77

Post by beatboy77 »

I use Pyramid flats on mine and think it gives a Beatle-like tone.
Vice President - TheBeatlesGear.com http://thebeatlesgear.com/thebeatlesgear/Home.html
Follow Us On Facebook - 350k Followers and Growing Everyday! https://www.facebook.com/TheBeatlesGear

Return to “Rickenbacker Vintage 325 Models: by Glen Lambert”