Need Help With My 325

The short-scale model that changed history

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Funkymojo

Need Help With My 325

Post by Funkymojo »

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and i think it's a great one. I need help regarding my 1991 325. The bridge pick up has very low output and volume. The neck and middle pickups sound great but when i switch to the bridge pick up, the volume drops really a lot, it's very soft. Could it be a faulty toggle switch or pots? Or maybe a solder gone bad? I might change to a set of new pots but not sure of their value. I've seen some 325 with 250k V/T pots and the blend pot is 500k, while i went to Rickenbacker's website and saw that the V/T pots are 330k and the blend pot is 250k, so which pots should i get? By the way, here's the link to the 325 schematics found on Rickenbacker's website

http://www.rickenbacker.com/pdfs/19512.pdf

Thanks guys for reading and hoping to receive some advice. Cheers
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Re: Need Help With My 325

Post by jingle_jangle »

Before I touched the wiring, I'd try raising the pickup toward the strings a bit at a time, if possible. If the bridge pickup is already close to the strings, I would check its output with a VOM, out of circuit. A bad pot is possible, but not the likeliest scenario. If its output is in range (an original Hi-Gain from that era should be 11-13K), then I'd say try lowering the other two a bit to balance it out.

Have you tried changing strings? You should be running a medium set (.013s) on a short scale like this.
Funkymojo

Post by Funkymojo »

jingle_jangle wrote:Before I touched the wiring, I'd try raising the pickup toward the strings a bit at a time, if possible. If the bridge pickup is already close to the strings, I would check its output with a VOM, out of circuit. A bad pot is possible, but not the likeliest scenario. If its output is in range (an original Hi-Gain from that era should be 11-13K), then I'd say try lowering the other two a bit to balance it out.

Have you tried changing strings? You should be running a medium set (.013s) on a short scale like this.

Thanks for the advice, i've raised the bridge pickup as close as possible to the strings and it's still very soft in volume. The pups on my 325 are not hi gains, they've been changed to toaster pups 2 years ago and was working perfectly until recently. Strings on my 325 are .011s, been using them for awhile, i do find it kind of rubbery. Didn't really dare to try .013s, will it be too stiff and unbendable? Thanks
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

I'd suspect the toaster swap, then. Check the pickup first with a VOM.

011s don't develop optimal tension with a short neck. .013s will give you fuller sound, better feel, more sustain.

If the toaster checks out, I'd suspect anything in the wiring, and would check it both visually and point-to-point with a VOM. Changing the pot values doesn't really accomplish anything if it was working before. If you end up finding a faulty pot, use the same value and taper to replace it.
Funkymojo

Post by Funkymojo »

jingle_jangle wrote:I'd suspect the toaster swap, then. Check the pickup first with a VOM.

011s don't develop optimal tension with a short neck. .013s will give you fuller sound, better feel, more sustain.

If the toaster checks out, I'd suspect anything in the wiring, and would check it both visually and point-to-point with a VOM. Changing the pot values doesn't really accomplish anything if it was working before. If you end up finding a faulty pot, use the same value and taper to replace it.

Thanks again, i do play blues and classic rock stuff and do enjoy playing solos and stuff, won't the 0.13s been too difficult to bend? i know that the newer 325s come with 0.12s if i am not wrong. Regarding the value of the pots, as i have posted in my first post, the Rickenbacker schematic diagram shows 330k V/T pots and 250k blend pot but on this forum and info i've gathered online, many have mentioned that their 325 has 250k V/T pots and 500k blender pot, any difference in tone? Sorry for asking so much, i'm pretty much a Rickenbacker noob. All i know is that it has great tone and quality...i like! :)
glen_l

Post by glen_l »

The first thing to check is the small 0.0047uF (or 4n7) high pass capacitor that may be in the signal path linking the bridge pickup. It's meant to make the bridge pickup sound more trebly, which it does when it's working properly. If it partially fails you will get the exact symptoms you're describing. The easiest way to test it is to link this capacitor with a small lead with alligator clips, or solder in a link of wire to bypass it. You'll find the capacitor leading from the toggle switch to the middle terminal of the treble volume pot. If the level from the bridge pickup has returned to normal, you've found the problem. It's not essential to replace the capacitor. You may even prefer the tone without it...

Changing the value of the blend or mixer pot will not affect the tone in the slightest. All it does is move the position at which you find the sweet spot when you blend the pickups. The original value for this was always 500K audio taper, with 250K audio taper for the volumes. The change to 250K for the blend pot was probably more an inventory issue than anything else. I'd def stick with 500K
Funkymojo

Post by Funkymojo »

glen_l wrote:The first thing to check is the small 0.0047uF (or 4n7) high pass capacitor that may be in the signal path linking the bridge pickup. It's meant to make the bridge pickup sound more trebly, which it does when it's working properly. If it partially fails you will get the exact symptoms you're describing. The easiest way to test it is to link this capacitor with a small lead with alligator clips, or solder in a link of wire to bypass it. You'll find the capacitor leading from the toggle switch to the middle terminal of the treble volume pot. If the level from the bridge pickup has returned to normal, you've found the problem. It's not essential to replace the capacitor. You may even prefer the tone without it...

Changing the value of the blend or mixer pot will not affect the tone in the slightest. All it does is move the position at which you find the sweet spot when you blend the pickups. The original value for this was always 500K audio taper, with 250K audio taper for the volumes. The change to 250K for the blend pot was probably more an inventory issue than anything else. I'd def stick with 500K
Thanks for the advice, will do as per your advice. I do hope the bridge pickup is not faulty. As for the strings, what gauge are you using? I'm planning to use roundwounds, is .012 ok for soloing? Is it too stiff and unbendable?
glen_l

Post by glen_l »

12's seem the best all round string for 325's. The 13's are a little heavy, and anything lighter will be too loose, and won't intone properly.
Funkymojo

Post by Funkymojo »

glen_l wrote:12's seem the best all round string for 325's. The 13's are a little heavy, and anything lighter will be too loose, and won't intone properly.

Thanks, you've been really helpful and i appreciate it very much... :D
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

glen_l wrote:12's seem the best all round string for 325's. The 13's are a little heavy, and anything lighter will be too loose, and won't intone properly.
+1

I use 12s on my short scale instruments, too.
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
Funkymojo

Post by Funkymojo »

doctorwho wrote:
+1

I use 12s on my short scale instruments, too.
Yup just changed a set of 12s on my 325 and it feels and sound great!! :D
Funkymojo

Post by Funkymojo »

Hi again guys! Hope all is well. I've decided to remove my bigsby and fit it with the Accent vibrato. Will it be a direct fit? Will i need to drill extra holes? Will the Accent vibrato cover the Bigsby screw holes? I've been looking around for an Accent vibrato. Where can i find one? Used or new? Thanks guys.
jdawe

Post by jdawe »

Pick of the Ricks sells the Accent ($150 new). My understanding is that it attaches through the strap bolt and that there is no need to drill any holes. The Accent is quite small and I doubt it will cover up the screw holes from your Bigsby, but I have no first-hand knowledge of this.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

jdawe wrote:... My understanding is that it attaches through the strap bolt and that there is no need to drill any holes. ....
That is correct.

IIRC, not all holes will be completely covered. I no longer have my 325v63, but here are a couple of pictures of it; maybe you can figure out how much the Accent will cover from these.
P1010110.JPG
P1010109.JPG
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
Funkymojo

Post by Funkymojo »

Thanks for all the replies guys. Yup after looking at the pics, i'm sure it's not gonna cover all the holes. Guess i gotta fill up the holes...hope it turns out ok. :mrgreen:

Return to “Rickenbacker Vintage 325 Models: by Glen Lambert”