1958 Polynesian 325/Combo on gbase

The short-scale model that changed history

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

leftybass
RRF Consultant

Re: 1958 Polynesian 325/Combo on gbase

Post by leftybass »

lewilson wrote:It would be great if Mr. Hall could find the info for those 5 guitars, when they were made and how they fit into the 325 story.
The link of the 'last-ditch' 850 models to the Polynesian would be that they share the same basic body contours; beyond that, the similarities ended when they made the Polynesian body semi-hollow (or hollow). All Rickenbacker guitars that are designated "Combo" models are solid body guitars with semi-hollow and hollow being from the "Capri" series.

The Polynesian Rickenbacker does IMO bridge a gap of sorts.
davesintexas

Post by davesintexas »

Is there any way that this guitar was drastically modified by the owner? I looked at the pictures on Ebay and the Cut out area thats showing through the pick guard opening sorta looks non professional to me???? Could be the pics my eye sight etc. And its history seems sorta odd ball? From a Retailer? to the Group then prior to today by 20 years in a private collection. Is that about right? So, it was played for 30-35 years or so? Or was it played as new for a very short time and stored for many of those 35 years its guessed to have been used for gigs? Sure looks in almost Perfect shape to have been used that long a period of time. Very little Buckle Rash and the neck must have been kept perfectly cleaned at all times. I do see the wear on the fret board and its loss of the compound glow..but still 30-35 years the player must have cherished this guitar to keep it in such great shape. Imagine being in the South Pacific and such with all the Salt Air everywhere....that stuff eats everything ever exposed. I mean look at chrome bumpers that are original from the 60s and they are just pitted and eaten up...So,why are these PUPs looking like new while the tuners are showing some real age? Could those PUPs be replacements?
Halbert

Post by Halbert »

I don't think it was modified. Routings in older instruments tend to have that appearance. If the pickups were replaced the new owner would be able to tell very easily too. I'm sure its all on the up and up. I am still skeptical about it getting the 125K though.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

glen_l wrote:The latter varient 850 is not a one off guitar. There are at least 5 known examples, one of which is an even more rare 650 (single pickup). The owner of the 650 received quite some ridicule over it when he asked for help authenicating it not so long back. It was a shame considering he owns arguably, the rarest of all production Rickenbacker's.
Well this is good news; I may actually be able to afford one of these eventually, if one comes up for sale. .. . .

Barring that, I'll hunt for a 620 or 660 and have it heavily modded to look like one of these, though mine will likely have an Accent or Bisgby, and perhaps, if I go with my "Les Paul eater" concept, slide some mini HBs under a Rick p/up cover. :)
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

While a beauty, it would seem that the asking price is overly optimistic. But, the market will sort this out. I love the fantastic photos looking at the instrument from all angles. Also, interesting ricoglyphics under the hood.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

paologregorio wrote:Barring that, I'll hunt for a 620 or 660 and have it heavily modded to look like one of these, though mine will likely have an Accent or Bisgby...
Like this?
Attachments
MysteryRicLAD.jpg
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

What barbaric recording gear! :lol:
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Hey, I was just admiring the Technics 1506 there on the left, looks just like the one I used to have...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...

Return to “Rickenbacker Vintage 325 Models: by Glen Lambert”