1964 325 - guide value?

The short-scale model that changed history

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Dean528

1964 325 - guide value?

Post by Dean528 »

Hi,

just joined the forum. When I was about 5 (in 1975) my dad bought a beat up 325 off the guitarist in his band to teach me guitar. Like a typical brat I was not interested. It was stripped and sprayed a funky 70s colour and lay untouched under my bed for about 15 years. Finally when I decided I actually wanted to learn, my Dad retrieved the 325 and gave me an american strat instead (which I still love and is my 1st choice guitar). He then sent the 325 to JD guitars in Birmingham (the bass guy) who rebuilt it with all the original bits (they were in a box) and refinished back to its original fireglo. Sacrilege I know, but the damage had already been done in more innocent times!

My Dad is now over 70 and is looking to sell. It is an original 1964 1 o'clock f-hole, refinished in fireglo with 90% original hardware (the tuners had been replaced when we had it in the 70s) and in its original silver case (a bit battered). Firstly is it quite valuable? Should I get it authenticated before trying to sell? Finally, what ballpark are we talking about here? I will be back to see my Dad next week so could post some pics then if folks are interested.

Cheers

Dean

ps - this looks like a great forum even for non-Ricky folk like me!
Medicus1963

Re: 1964 325 - guide value?

Post by Medicus1963 »

Hi Dean,
First of all, welcome to the forum ! The community always wants to see pictures ! Please post some !
Do you have a serial number ? It is normally on the jackplate.

Greetings

Peter
All you need is love and a rick !
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Dean,
Welcome! The deciding factor here is going to be the quality of the refin, so pics are imperative for a valuation.

As far as "authentication", we'll be able to mostly authenticate it by looking the photos. A pic of the jackplate with the serial number would be helpful, and you should check the dates on the pots to be sure that they're original.
Dean528

Post by Dean528 »

Courtesy of my son who took some pics on his phone:
Jack socket - from memory this means its a 1964 but I could be wrong (reads DH 88)
Jack socket - from memory this means its a 1964 but I could be wrong (reads DH 88)
Body
Body
Full body - sorry its a bit blurred
Full body - sorry its a bit blurred
Rear
Rear
I will try and put some better quality picks up next weekend.

Thanks to everyone who has shown some interest in this guitar.

Cheers

Dean
Medicus1963

Post by Medicus1963 »

Hi Dean,

Very nice guitar, to complete the manufacturing date it is helpful to have a look at the potis which have their manufacturing date stamped on.
I rhink this guitar would be at least aroind 50.000$! Pardon i meant 4000 to 5000$
But it all depends on the market and if someone will pay this amount of money!
But beware, this sum is only asuggestion, nothing more. It would be very interesting what the rest of the forum says!

Greetings

Peter
Last edited by Medicus1963 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
k43rover
Intermediate Member

Post by k43rover »

Medicus1963 wrote:I rhink this guitar would be at least aroind 50.000$!
Peter

Peter, Have you been on the Schnapps this afternoon? :shock:

According to the original post, this guitar has had a refin so valuation should reflect that as it will have a significant adverse impact.

This guitar looks to be a UK export version of the 325 i.e. a Rose Morris model 1996. These were all originally finished in Fireglo. I'd say a good condition example of a 1996 (i.e. well worn but structurally sound and with original finish) would be around GB£4,000 to £5,000. An excellent example could be well above that on a good day. However I'd say this one, assuming its structurally sound below the refin and that the parts are original would be £2,000 to £2,500.

Just to illustrate the impact of non-originality/missing parts/repairs etc, there's a well hacked around damage/repaired example on the register which is quoted as an original 1964 body/neck but refinished in black and with non original parts - that sold in Canada last year for $1,600 (around GB£1,000). Here's the link/pictures:

http://www.rickresource.com/register/vi ... lebrity%3D

I also recall that a German dealer sold a similar late '64 1996 with the 1 o'clock f-hole position - that was about a year ago..pictures are still on their website but the price has been deleted. From memory I think they were asking around Euro 8,000 and this one looks to have been in excellent original condition (maybe someone on here can confirm the exact asking price for that guitar). Here's the link:

http://www.oldenburger-music-station.de ... 6-1964.htm

BTW Dean, as mentioned above, you really should unscrew the pickguard and take a shot of the wiring harness to show the markings on the pots - that will immediately confirm whether the loom is period correct to the guitar.
Last edited by k43rover on Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:18 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Seans
Intermediate Member

Post by Seans »

Welcome Dean, always nice to see another 64, here's a sister/brother RoMo 1996 to yours, number 89, http://www.rickresource.com/register/vi ... 6order%3D6
collin

Post by collin »

Medicus1963 wrote:Hi Dean,

Very nice guitar, to complete the manufacturing date it is helpful to have a look at the potis which have their manufacturing date stamped on.
I rhink this guitar would be at least aroind 50.000$!
But it all depends on the market and if someone will pay this amount of money!
But beware, this sum is only asuggestion, nothing more. It would be very interesting what the rest of the forum says!

Greetings

Peter
Peter, please don't take offense at this, but if you truly think that this guitar is worth $50k, then you have absolutely no business appraising vintage Rickenbackers. WAY off...

Around $3500-$4000 sounds more like it to me. That refin JG '64 on eBay won't move at $4999.
Medicus1963

Post by Medicus1963 »

@ Eddie,

oops there has been a Zero number too much, but i am no expert in valuing vintage guitars!
By the way, i prefer Gin :D .
Maybe i am on a trip being happy that my guitar works now so fine! This is far most the best drug, playing with my son on the ricks, not on the rocks ! :lol:

Peter
Medicus1963

Post by Medicus1963 »

Hi Collin,

Oh yes you are right! Shame on me :roll: . I am no expert on old guitars for shure, yes there is at least one zero number too much at the end.

Peter
collin

Post by collin »

Medicus1963 wrote:Hi Collin,

Oh yes you are right! Shame on me :roll: . I am no expert on old guitars for shure, yes there is at least one zero number too much at the end.

Peter

Ah that explains it! :)
k43rover
Intermediate Member

Post by k43rover »

Medicus1963 wrote:@ Eddie,

oops there has been a Zero number too much, but i am no expert in valuing vintage guitars!

Peter
:lol: That explains it! No problem with simple mistake here on RRF...but I have my fingers crossed that your day job is not at Sotheby's!! :wink:
Medicus1963 wrote: By the way, i prefer Gin :D .
Good call! A nice Tanqueray and Schweppes does it for me too!
Medicus1963 wrote: Maybe i am on a trip being happy that my guitar works now so fine! This is far most the best drug, playing with my son on the ricks, not on the rocks ! :lol:

Great that your son appreciates a fine Rick as much as we do! :D
Medicus1963

Post by Medicus1963 »

Hi Dean,
Are you located in Britain ?
Sorry for my mistake in valueing yor guitar, i think my other mates are more right in the price. I also saw those Rose-Morris models in Ebay going for not more than $ 1.400.

Peter
Medicus1963

Post by Medicus1963 »

Hi Dean,

Here is an example of the brother of this guitar DH89 in the Rickenbacker Register
http://www.rickresource.com/register/vi ... lebrity%3D

I think this guitar is in a comparable condition

Peter
Dean528

Post by Dean528 »

Hi, a few folk have asked for more pics of this. I will also try and upload a video, have been recently playing it through a fender valve amp and it sounds better than I remember it.

http://s683.photobucket.com/user/bead52 ... t=3&page=1

Pics of the pots also added. Anyone know how to date these?? They look original.

Return to “Rickenbacker Vintage 325 Models: by Glen Lambert”