325... which one?

The short-scale model that changed history

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

jimmy74

325... which one?

Post by jimmy74 »

Hi folks I'm new to the forum so please forgive me if I'm posting a somewhat repetitive question.

I've been trying to convince myself on getting a Rickenbacker for years now and fortune has just shown up to which I may just be able to grant my wish. I'm looking at the 325 model but I'm a little confused as to which one. I know there's the 325C58, V59, 325C64, V64 and there's also the John Lennon which I understand was launched in limited numbers in the early 90's.

What are the differences between these models other than hardware changes? Which model would get me closer to the Beatles tone? Also are there any differences between the C58 and the C64 other than the hardware? Why was the C58 discontinued?

Last question... would the 350V63 be a good alternative?

thanks for any help at all
J.
admin
Site Admin

Re: 325... which one?

Post by admin »

Before you choose a 325 Model I would play both the Model 350 and the Model 325 for comparison. I found the short scale 325 to be very tiny for me and in the end I chose the Model 350. Either model will get you a good Beatles' sound. All things being equal the Model 325 does look more the part to me.

Let's see what the 325 owners and players have to say. :)
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Post by deaconblues »

This topic has been discussed ad infinitum around here. You can easily find threads discussing the differences between the different models by searching past threads.

Basically, there are two styles of reissue 325. The c58/v59 are the "'50s", and the v63/c64 are "'60s".

50s 325s are thicker bodied, a little more "crude" in terms of construction and hardware, and have gold plastic, while 60s models are much more like modern Rickenbackers -- thin with white plastic and more conventional hardware.

Lennon used a '58 325 before he got his '64 325, so the choice is yours. I've owned a v63, a c64, a 1996 (basically a c64 in another color), and a c58. The c58 is my favorite, personally, but I think that the c64 is the best choice for most people in terms of user-friendliness, tone, and versatility.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

As a footnote to Dan's excellent synopsis, the model 320 is similar to the 325 reissues but does not have a vibrato tailpiece.
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
8mileshigher

325... which one?

Post by 8mileshigher »

Welcome aboard the Forum, Jimmy74 !
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Post by deaconblues »

doctorwho wrote:As a footnote to Dan's excellent synopsis, the model 320 is similar to the 325 reissues but does not have a vibrato tailpiece.
Yes, the ones made in the '70s-'90s are great values vs. the reissues.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

deaconblues wrote:
doctorwho wrote:As a footnote to Dan's excellent synopsis, the model 320 is similar to the 325 reissues but does not have a vibrato tailpiece.
Yes, the ones made in the '70s-'90s are great values vs. the reissues.
Good point. Also, it's easier to find a 320 in a color other than Mapleglo or Jetglo ...
P6137847A.jpg
P6137852.jpg
jimmy74

Post by jimmy74 »

Well the main problem is that Rics are practically impossible to find here in Italy, let alon 325's, 320's or even 350's. I did once get my hands on a 330 from the early 90's but it was mine only for a couple of days before heading back to the owner so I didn't have the time to check it out properly. I would like to get as close as possible to the early 60's Lennon tone, that's why I posted my question here. I don't think I'd have any problems with the short scale, I don't have big fingers and my main guitars have always been vintage gretsch guitars, currently owning a 64 6118 double anniversary and I find it quite comfortable. The shortest scale guitar I've ever played was a 63 Jaguar and I didn't have any problems with that neck.
Anyways getting back to the Rics, I did hear somewhere that the 325 58's or 59's had very low output pickups and that's why they were discontinued... is this true?

thanks
J.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

jimmy74 wrote:..I don't think I'd have any problems with the short scale, I don't have big fingers and my main guitars have always been vintage gretsch guitars, currently owning a 64 6118 double anniversary and I find it quite comfortable. The shortest scale guitar I've ever played was a 63 Jaguar and I didn't have any problems with that neck....

thanks
J.
Gretsches are not short scale guitars, the Jaguar is shorter but still nothing like a 325. To see how you'd feel with a truly short scale guitar place a capo at the 4th fret on the 6118 and play it way for a while to get used to that. Better yet, put heavy gauge strings on the guitar tuned down to get the pitches back to normal with the capo applied.
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Post by deaconblues »

jimmy74 wrote:I would like to get as close as possible to the early 60's Lennon tone, that's why I posted my question here.
Which tone? If you want the "All My Loving" sound, get a c58. If you want the tone from "She's a Woman" or "You Can't Do That", get a c64 or a v63.

The v59 is pretty inaccurate and I think it would probably sound a lot more like the c64/v63.
jimmy74 wrote:I did hear somewhere that the 325 58's or 59's had very low output pickups and that's why they were discontinued... is this true?
The v59 pickups are too hot -- somewhere in the 11-12k range. The output on the c58's pickups is around 4k. While Rickenbacker claims they're accurate, a lot of experts believe that the correct value should be around 7-8k.

That's not why the c58 got discontinued though. Nobody really knows why. I think Rickenbacker just got sick of making them.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

deaconblues wrote:... I think Rickenbacker just got sick of making them.
I certainly doubt that! :shock: :roll: :lol: 8)

And would that have then made it a Sickenbacker???? :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Post by deaconblues »

doctorwho wrote:
deaconblues wrote:... I think Rickenbacker just got sick of making them.
I certainly doubt that! :shock: :roll: :lol: 8)

And would that have then made it a Sickenbacker???? :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)
I don't think it's far-fetched at all. Think of all the parts they had to have specially made -- pickups, Kauffmans, Ric-Tites, TRCs, pickguards, etc. And then those extra-thick slabs of alder, which isn't used on anything else. It must have been a pain.
jimmy74

Post by jimmy74 »

what are the pickups on a C64 rated at? I know that gretsches aren't short scale, well atleast most of the models are long scale. I'll have to try the capo on my 6118 and see how I find it. Eventually if I go for a C58 would it be possible to place hotter pickups in it?

thanks
J.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

jimmy74 wrote:Eventually if I go for a C58 would it be possible to place hotter pickups in it?

thanks
J.
Why? Isn't the idea to capture John's sound as it was?

To answer your question, yes, you could put hi-gains or even HB-1 pickups on the guitar. They are the same footprint and just require soldering in place, perhaps with some changes to the pot and cap values, so you would be better off having a custom harness made to accommodate whichever different pickups you install.
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Post by deaconblues »

jps wrote:
jimmy74 wrote:Eventually if I go for a C58 would it be possible to place hotter pickups in it?

thanks
J.
Why? Isn't the idea to capture John's sound as it was?
He means 7-8k pickups instead of the 4k pickups it comes with.

The c58 is tough because regular Rickenbacker pickups don't fit on it. You can get the stock pickups rewound, but it sounds OK as-is.

Return to “Rickenbacker Vintage 325 Models: by Glen Lambert”