Marriage Guidance?

The short-scale model that changed history

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Liamjrtc

Marriage Guidance?

Post by Liamjrtc »

Hello all.

I have a 325c58 jet. I've had it for a few years and initially really loved it (well after I ditched the Kauffman for a B5 Bigsby).

I used to play it a lot but found it wasn't suiting the stuff my band played. I needed something that could do lead and rhythm really well. I went for a gretsch firebird and have to say that since I got that guitar it has completely replaced the Ric. I still play the Ric from time to time but to my ear I prefer the sound of the Gretsch (and feel if I'm honest).

Anyway I hate to see an instrument going unplayed. I suppose I'm asking a couple of things...firstly has anyone experienced something like this and come out the of the other end with a new appreciation of their 325? Secondly (and this is a tough one to ask). Has anyone sold theirs? If so, do you have regrets? What should I be asking for if I made that choice?

I feel dirty even talking about this. :(
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Re: Marriage Guidance?

Post by deaconblues »

I've owned many 325s in my time. As I see it you've got two ways to think about this:

-325s are underrated.

I've tried living without one and frankly, I can't. Nothing sounds like a 325 does, and nothing looks as good doing it. Far from being the Beatle rhythm guitars they're pigeonholed as, they sound totally badass with distortion and can be a fun way to stand out from the pack. I have to say the '60s versions are better for this than the c58 (especially with those stock pickups). If you're not digging the vibe of your c58, try out a c64 or 1996 or an older 320 and see what you think. I used a 1996 as lead guitarist in a southern hard rock style band and LOVED how it sounded.

-325s are overpriced.

Sorry, but it's true. Many of the reissue 325s are approaching $3k. That is a serious chunk of change to spend on a short scale guitar, especially when you look at what you could have otherwise: a Gibson LP R8, a Custom Shop Strat or Tele, a Gretsch White Falcon -- a freaking White Falcon. If the short scale is turning you off, sell the 325 and get a top-grade professional guitar, or two or three perfectly decent budget models.

In the end, my opinion is that guitars should be played. If you don't use it, pass it on to someone who will and find something you enjoy playing.

Return to “Rickenbacker Vintage 325 Models: by Glen Lambert”