Roller Bridge Replacement for 1996 Reissue

The short-scale model that changed history

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

maxwell

Roller Bridge Replacement for 1996 Reissue

Post by maxwell »

A while back I bought a used Model 1996 AGF reissue with a poor substitute of a roller bridge. I've searched and read through these forums and I know (?) that most guys probably take these of and replace them with the standard (non-roller) bridge -- maybe this is why the Ric Boutique does not sell them...? Anyway, I'm going to give it a try.

I want the best and most authentic replacement available, and posted somewhere here is this offering:
http://www.winfieldvintage.com/parts/roller-bridge.html

This seems the best... well, actually, it's the only one I can find. They also sell a compensated baseplate which has me curious. There is a warning about different (truly vintage vs. modified/"new" vintage) baseplates. I have no idea, however, how authentically vintage the baseplate features/dimensions are on my reissued model
http://www.winfieldvintage.com/parts/baseplate.html

Any advice about replacing the bridge with the best correct roller bridge assembly would be appreciated. Thanks.
collin

Re: Roller Bridge Replacement for 1996 Reissue

Post by collin »

Personally I'm not a fan of the roller bridges in general - they don't easily intone, they rattle and don't sound as good, IMO.

AFAIK, the bridge plates on all modern Ricks, even the C-series aren't vintage correct as the adjustment screws arent set as wide apart as a 60s original (The footprint is smaller).

Since it's not 100% accurate anyways, you might as well mount stuff that works. Talk to Winfield and explain your guitar, Chip will point you in the right direction.
maxwell

Post by maxwell »

Thanks for the reply. I've been thinking this over -- taking your input into account, esp. the tone issues -- and perhaps I should just not get the roller bridge. It would be a bummer to spend $200 and then find out it was money wasted.

So, are there ANY fans of roller bridges here?
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Post by deaconblues »

I mean...they look cool I guess. But they're pricey and they don't do anything for the playability of the guitar.
scoobster28
Veteran RRF member

Post by scoobster28 »

Are the rollers on roller bridge guitars really the end loops of guitar strings. One of his, "The Fiesta" model, has what looks like the string ends serving as rollers. I don't know if they are just colored to match or if that is what they are made of.
collin

Post by collin »

scoobster28 wrote:Are the rollers on roller bridge guitars really the end loops of guitar strings. One of his, "The Fiesta" model, has what looks like the string ends serving as rollers. I don't know if they are just colored to match or if that is what they are made of.

There might be a more technical term for that part, but yet - that's basically what it is...

Return to “Rickenbacker Vintage 325 Models: by Glen Lambert”