Finally bought a C58 after all these years

The short-scale model that changed history

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

JETGLOW

Finally bought a C58 after all these years

Post by JETGLOW »

I could have had one at any time...for some reason I just bought one finally. I'm happy with it and its exactly what I wanted. I will be modding it with the B5, Bowtie and Burns knobs over the next few days. It a 2009 model...

One thing that surprised me is that I thought the Tuners said Ric-Tite, but these have nothing on them...not complaining, but when did they stop that or is this a "one off" since it was one of the last to be made. It was made the 43rd week of 2009.
JETGLOW

Re: Finally bought a C58 after all these years

Post by JETGLOW »

John Hall was very nice to answer my question on this and I hope he does not mind that I quote him on it...

"Grover objected to the Ric-Tite and since we knew we were going to use this on a wider range of guitars eliminated it. We also changed the sourcing of the keys from Gotoh in Japan to Shcaller in Germany."

.....so there you have it
glen_l

Post by glen_l »

Good bit of info thanks
Laservampire

Post by Laservampire »

Going to look at a mint, un-modded jetglo 325c58 tonight.

AU$3250 (US$2430) and comes with a (not installed) Bigsby B5. Good price?
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Welcome! I think that's what they tend to go for in the US, so that may indeed be a totally decent price.
Laservampire

Post by Laservampire »

jdogric12 wrote:Welcome! I think that's what they tend to go for in the US, so that may indeed be a totally decent price.
Thanks for the welcome! :)

In fact is was NOT a decent price, the guitar didn't have more than 10 minutes play time on it, however the neck was at such an angle that a decent action was literally impossible without a neck reset. The relief was good, and the bridge was touching the mounting plate, so there was nowhere else for adjustment!

The guy seemed pretty miffed when I pointed this out too....
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Laservampire wrote:...the neck was at such an angle that a decent action was literally impossible without a neck reset. The relief was good, and the bridge was touching the mounting plate, so there was nowhere else for adjustment!

Was he miffed at you for having pointed that out to him? :mrgreen:
Laservampire

Post by Laservampire »

jps wrote:
Laservampire wrote:...the neck was at such an angle that a decent action was literally impossible without a neck reset. The relief was good, and the bridge was touching the mounting plate, so there was nowhere else for adjustment!

Was he miffed at you for having pointed that out to him? :mrgreen:
I think he was miffed that I knew enough about things as to not drop $3k on his faulty guitar. It's not like he had no idea, his 325c64 had a great action!

Return to “Rickenbacker Vintage 325 Models: by Glen Lambert”