1959 Rickenbacker 315/325 sold recently on Ebay.

The short-scale model that changed history

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

jwilli
RRF Consultant

Post by jwilli »

Glen, thanks. The more I look at my '59, the more I can't believe it. This guitar must've been "under the bed" for 45 years! No corrosion or wear marks on any of the screws. The pickguards sits on the original 4 rubber grommets. I'm in Heaven. Even the case looks brand new.
glen_l

Post by glen_l »

Sounds like you've got a once in a lifetime Ric John. Still waiting for mine to come along.

What would you think would be one of the more affordable late 50's two pickup models? I'm thinking perhaps a combo450 or for short scale a model 950. Do you happen to know of any for sale?
jwilli
RRF Consultant

Post by jwilli »

Glen, both of those models seem to be a little elusive. I love the '57 Combo 450s and D. McL always seems to jump on the 950s, lol. Perhaps RIC will reissue one of these models in the future as a Ltd. Ed. but I'm not holding my breath.
glen_l

Post by glen_l »

Wouldn't you know it. I picked two of the more elusive solidbody models. I seem to see a few single pickup model's 900 or 1000, and sometimes even a combo400, but I can't recall seeing many of the 2 pickup models.

I can't even find a decent photo of a 50's model 950, but it looks like the '57 models of both the combo 450 and the 950 started to lose that extra combo style toggle switch, which interests me due to my current investigation of capri wiring (see other thread)

The attraction for me is to have an actual 50's Ric that I could afford, and use as a reference in relation to 50's wiring, pickups, and other hardware. I don't think I'd have too much interest in a re-issue of a solidbody myself.

With all this aquiring of rare '59 315's going on perhaps someone might be willing and able to part with something ;)
jwilli
RRF Consultant

Post by jwilli »

Today I removed the strings that came on the '59 315. They were certainly not short scale strings. I replaced them with Pyramid flatwounds. Huge difference. It stays in tune now. What a great guitar! Allegedly, only the third set of strings ever on the guitar.
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

The THIRD set EVER? We're not worthy!! We're not worthy!!!! LOL

JWilli, when I was up at Sir David's the other night, I noticed that the 1960 310 had a slimmer neck than the 59 315/325 he just picked up. Lots of subtle differences between the two and only one year apart....
larrywassgren
Veteran RRF member

Post by larrywassgren »

Great guitar you bought John. When I saw it at Pete's Guitar back in '79 I thought it was new(what did I know about vintage back then?). We all need to get out the digital cameras and take some wiring pictures(especially for Glen). We can figure out the wiring no problem. When you look at the low production totals for these guitars, the same guy had to be doing the wiring and doing it the same way everytime. Even Fender had the same gal doing things over, and over.......
hamiltone

Post by hamiltone »

On the subject of the Combo 450, here's my '57 in Black and I do have the other knob...

jwilli
RRF Consultant

Post by jwilli »

Karl, thats one of my favorite models.
hamiltone

Post by hamiltone »

John

What were the guys at Rickenbacker thinking when they came up with the round saxophone neck strap retainer on this model (and some others) but not all models? I'm not going to drill this guitar for strap buttons which is a shame really because I can only play it sitting down....
This guitar has a wonderful warm tone and with both pickups on there's nothing like else like it. Do you have one? And how rare is/was Cloverfield Green on this model? Thanks John.
jwilli
RRF Consultant

Post by jwilli »

Here's my '57 450 (transitional model).
jwilli
RRF Consultant

Post by jwilli »

I'm not sure who came up with the sax neck strap contraption. The only 450s that I've seen from that era were Black. The one i have was Montezuma Brown, I think. It had been refinned at least three times. It was even Pink once. Back in '99, RIC offered to refin instruments for a limited time. I jumped at the chance.
jwilli
RRF Consultant

Post by jwilli »

Here's another. Actually it WAS a '65 450/12 that had some major cracks in it's wings. I had it made in to a quasi '57 450/12.

Return to “Rickenbacker Vintage 325 Models: by Glen Lambert”