Where is John's 1996?

The short-scale model that changed history

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

oreca
Intermediate Member

Post by oreca »

Yeah it is Ringo who apperently owns it...
I have a slightly higher quality picture of that same one Peter posted...

It isn't as big tho...

larrywassgren
Veteran RRF member

Post by larrywassgren »

Ringo definitely owns the guitar and it is one of his prized possessions. Maybe one day we'll be lucky enough to see photos of it again.
sped55miles

Re: Where is John's 1996?

Post by sped55miles »

yup this is true Ringo has it.
redamber

Post by redamber »

I recently acquired a much-treasured re-issue of John Lennon's Rose Morris 1996, in (Amber) Fireglo - amazing to think that so much seminal music came from guitars as small as JL's 325 & 1996!

I understand that this re-issue run was started in 2006 (based on accurate research into the Rose Morris models of the 1960s) and that two separate batches were completed before the re-issue was discontinued. My RM 1996 is dated 2008, so I assume it comes from the second or later batch.

Does anyone on RRF know how many RM 1996s were produced in each of the batches (and thus in total) between 2006-08?

My apologies, if this has been covered previously on an earlier forum.
Santa visits only once a year, but Santa Ana delivers Rics all year round.
krick
Veteran RRF member

Post by krick »

The 1996 reissue is one of my favorite models. I have owned several and you can check out some others registered here:

http://www.rickresource.com/register/in ... celebrity=

As far as I know, there were two examples built in late 2005 for display at the NAMM show in January 2006. One is listed in the register and I own the other one. There were some made in early 2006 since the register shows a few with serial numbers indicating production in the 3rd. and 6th. week. I believe that most were made in mid 2006 since there are many listed with serials indicating production in the 20th., 26th., 28th., and 29th. week of that year. I don't know of any produced in 2007. The final batch appears to have been produced in the 32nd. week of 2008 to complete the orders. The main difference I have noted between the batches is in the Amber Fireglo finishes. They have varied quite a bit. There were also a few produced in Jetglo.

There are several threads on the RRF about this model and you can find them by using the search feature near the top of the page.
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Post by deaconblues »

Wow, this has to be one of the oldest threads on the RRF...
redamber

Post by redamber »

krick wrote: As far as I know, there were two examples built in late 2005 for display at the NAMM show in January 2006. One is listed in the register and I own the other one. There were some made in early 2006 since the register shows a few with serial numbers indicating production in the 3rd. and 6th. week. I believe that most were made in mid 2006 since there are many listed with serials indicating production in the 20th., 26th., 28th., and 29th. week of that year. I don't know of any produced in 2007. The final batch appears to have been produced in the 32nd. week of 2008 to complete the orders. The main difference I have noted between the batches is in the Amber Fireglo finishes. They have varied quite a bit. There were also a few produced in Jetglo.
Thanks for that comprehensive reply, Kevin. The serial no. of my 1996 is 08 32xxx, so it looks as if it was part of this final batch. Certainly, the colour is closer to an Amber Fireglo than a standard Fireglo - the giveaway is the fret-markers, which are distinctly yellow, rather than pearloid white.
scoobster28
Veteran RRF member

Re:

Post by scoobster28 »

larrywassgren wrote:Ringo definitely owns the guitar and it is one of his prized possessions. Maybe one day we'll be lucky enough to see photos of it again.
It was featured in Andy Babiuk's Beatles Gear book.
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Re: Re:

Post by JakeK »

scoobster28 wrote:
larrywassgren wrote:Ringo definitely owns the guitar and it is one of his prized possessions. Maybe one day we'll be lucky enough to see photos of it again.
It was featured in Andy Babiuk's Beatles Gear book.
It was mentioned, but not featured. When I say mentioned, I mean that how John got it and that Ringo owns it. But there were no photos of it.
redamber

Post by redamber »

Sorry to confuse the issue unnecessarily, but I was advised recently that, according to Phil Harris (a UK-based guitarist who writes a regular column in 'Guitar and Bass' magazine), Ringo does NOT own the Rose Morris that John borrowed, even though it always states in books that he does. He said that it was left at Tittenhurst Park (John's then Ringo's home) and was sold on. The person who bought it is keeping very quiet though. He also said that there was going to be an article in Guitar and Bass magazine about it. I have no idea whether this story is true, but it does make you wonder! Has anyone ever asked Ringo?

Whatever the truth, I am just chuffed to own a mint 2008 re-issue of the 1996 Rose Morris in Amber Fireglo.
Melma

Post by Melma »

It still belongs to Ringo, who even used it on a solo album some years ago. (Rather, he allowed someone in his backing band to play on it for one of the songs).
Melma

Post by Melma »

That's the version of events thus far, anyway - if Ringo came out and said "oops, I got the wrong Ric!" then I'd be open to changes.
jwilli
RRF Consultant

Post by jwilli »

Melma, any reference to that? Who played John's old RM 1996 on one of Ringo's old albums?
blaine63

Post by blaine63 »

Here's a picture of the 1996 (lower on the page) in John's studio around 1967.

http://www.boinkwithme.com/nick/beatles ... _john.html
jwilli
RRF Consultant

Post by jwilli »

I would have a real hard time believing that one of John's guitars was sold out from under him. Period.

redamber wrote:Sorry to confuse the issue unnecessarily, but I was advised recently that, according to Phil Harris (a UK-based guitarist who writes a regular column in 'Guitar and Bass' magazine), Ringo does NOT own the Rose Morris that John borrowed, even though it always states in books that he does. He said that it was left at Tittenhurst Park (John's then Ringo's home) and was sold on. The person who bought it is keeping very quiet though. He also said that there was going to be an article in Guitar and Bass magazine about it. I have no idea whether this story is true, but it does make you wonder! Has anyone ever asked Ringo?

Whatever the truth, I am just chuffed to own a mint 2008 re-issue of the 1996 Rose Morris in Amber Fireglo.

Return to “Rickenbacker Vintage 325 Models: by Glen Lambert”