Amazing auctions on ebay in the UK.

The short-scale model that changed history

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

glen_l

Amazing auctions on ebay in the UK.

Post by glen_l »

You won't believe this one. I've been trying to help authenticate this amazing Ric for some months now, without any results from the factory. All the hardware seems correct for the period, and there is a story to explain it's existance. Would have been nice to have some input from Ric on such an impressive guitar. I hope it's on the level.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41439&item=3735744335

If you think that's amazing, check out the other auctions. This'll have people checking their bank balances. I'm glad to be broke at the moment. Safest place to be.....
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

Glen, if it's real then it is a great piece....but I dunno.

The questions that concern me are the round heel and the 'Made in USA' on the nameplate, which for Dec. '63--Jan.'64 doesn't quite pan out--and the story given by the seller, while interesting, is not all too convincing...The only known photo of it from the 60's needs "restoring"?? Hmm...

I agree that a Radio Tel document confirming it as the real deal would help things condsiderably.
glen_l

Post by glen_l »

I'd really have to see a Radio Tel document too. Having seen detailed pics over the past few months it appears that it was originally a 615 and was converted to a 325 shaped body. It has all the contours of a 615 and no ramp for the accent, as you'd expect. The cresting upper horn has been shaped into a 325 shaped horn, and a middle pickup added. The black finish appears to be factory original and has correct factory style markings inside.

A 325 this early would certainly have a square heel, but a 615 possibly not. I'm not sure about the TRC for that era. It's true that Georges 360/12 from late '63 had no 'Made in USA' on it. However, the Japanese 325fg solidbody which is also a DA serial number does have the "Made in USA', as do all the Rose Morris models I've seen. Lennon's 325/12 which is a 'DB' number has no "Made in USA' This leads me to believe that there was a bunch of white TRC's with no 'Made in USA' that was being used by whoever was cutting out the funny shaped covers for those early 12 string Rics.
fabgear
Veteran RRF member

Post by fabgear »

It's a 615 alright, and it bears a remarkable resemblance to another modded 615 with that same shape upper horn and vintage parts.

Pretty big coincidence if it's not a modern replica pieced together to resemble this(I know, I was going to take a '64 615 carcass I have and do the exact same thing, might still at some point) but anything's possible.
FabGear Custom Guitars, Relics and Replicas
Public Albums: www.photobucket.com username: fabgear, password: fabguest
glen_l

Post by glen_l »

I have on file a Rose Morris 1995 (615) that was sold on ebay in recent years, from Leeds UK. It was refinished Jetglo, and had a serial number DA 47.
bails
Veteran RRF member

Post by bails »

1. The seller first registered on eBay on May 03 this year as "mr_fisci", then promptly changed to "oldguy_2004" on Jun 09. That's not a very long time to keep an identity.
2. The majority of the seller's 26 positive feedbacks come from items worth less than $5.00 each.
3. The seller only accepts money orders and checks which cannot be cancelled or investigated like bogus creditcard transactions can. Once you've sent the money, you're on your own.
4. The seller's other items include "Gibson 1963 SG Standard In Mint condition.Custom orderd bigsby factory fitted RARE!!!! (3735750189)". This item was originally listed as 1963 Gibson SG(3733401194) by booradley69, and they clearly state: "...the prior owner claims to have put the Bigsby on as an aftermarket item when he made the original purchase..."
5. Have I made my point?
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left.
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

wow, you guys are good.
fabgear
Veteran RRF member

Post by fabgear »

nah, we just spend too much time on Ebay, lol
FabGear Custom Guitars, Relics and Replicas
Public Albums: www.photobucket.com username: fabgear, password: fabguest
simer4001
Veteran RRF member

Post by simer4001 »

Jeff,

Where did you go? I have been trying to track you down.
LET THE WORLD KNOW YOU WANT PAUL TO BRING BACK THE 4001. JOIN OUR FACEBOOK GROUP!! http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=147641915268984
sashua

Post by sashua »

Gone....
"Silly Rabbit! Trix are for Kids"
beatlefreak

Post by beatlefreak »

Are you referring to Jeff or the guitar, Russ? If it's the guitar, after three years I imagine it would be gone.
Ka is a wheel.
jwilli
RRF Consultant

Post by jwilli »

The seller of this guitar was full of it. He fabricated the whole story. I asked JH about it a long time ago. He doubted it. He was right. Who was the seller? Gagliano? Didn't call everybody "babbies and wankers"? Lol.

Return to “Rickenbacker Vintage 325 Models: by Glen Lambert”