Refreting Lennon's 1958 Model 325

The short-scale model that changed history

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

admin
Site Admin

Refreting Lennon's 1958 Model 325

Post by admin »

John Lennon's Legendary 1958 Model 325 was refretted in 1964 by Les Andrews. For Mr. Andrew's comments visit Baby's In Black.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
glen_l

Post by glen_l »

Excellent work Peter. Glad to see RickResource.com get the clear 'scoop' on this one. Your "Baby's in Black" detective work has paid off.

This explains a few loose ends....the replaced nut, the relatively unworn appearance of the frets now, the good condition of the fretboard.....
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes they do speak to a number of questions many have had about the 1958 Model 325 for some time. Let's hope that this leads to other information about this guitar. I am hoping that the Beatle Gear book will provide new information about Lennon's first Rickenbacker as well.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
scott_s
Veteran RRF member

Post by scott_s »

Do you folks know what Burns fretwire would measure? Is it wider than stock Ricky wire?

Thanks.

P.S. Thanks for the cool password, Mr McCormack!
joe_hardman

Post by joe_hardman »

So, everyone should refret their new jetglo 325C58 with vintage Burns wire, crack the gold pickguard and spill lots of German & British beer on the guitar, right? If you are a former smoker, as I am, you may have to resume the habit or better yet, go the nearist mission and pay a street person to smoke on your behalf. Smoke should be blown heavily over the fretboard & body and for heaven's sake, make certain you use the same brand of cigarettes that Lennon smoked, or your new 325C58 may not develop a true Beatle vibe and we couldn't have that, could we?
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

I think you are leaving out a very important factor ..........tea .

and what kind of milk did they use to add to their tea?

There must be some kind of Tea scent or vibe that was from the recording sessions .

And what about the cords? Were they grey ?Black?were there the screw connected type or were they soldered?

WHAT ABOUT THE VOLTAGE???????
So you too want yours "ALAPWOB"?!?!
miked

Post by miked »

Hello Mark, It's been a long time, and if I remember correctly the voltage has to be "up."
"Give it the gun, Algernon."
Best regards.
joe_hardman

Post by joe_hardman »

Yes, tea is certainly an important factor and there are more, such as _________________. Anyone care to fill in the blank?

Also, do we know the proper brand of tea to use for the project and do we know for certain that John always took milk with his tea or did he sometimes take cream? When he did use milk, was it whole, 2% or skim?

After all, if Beatle fans are going to properly trick out their new jetglo 325C58 models, isn't it imperative that they know all there is to know? Inquiring minds want to know or do they???
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

oof course getting good plugs is always a must ,don't mess about with those import jobs .

I am moving my right hand ....I am moving my left hand ........Steady .....
So you too want yours "ALAPWOB"?!?!
gbogart
Veteran RRF member

Post by gbogart »

Hey, Mates, that's nuthin'...

I found just the right kind of joss stick that makes the plush on the inside of my 325 case smell totally authentic...
scott_s
Veteran RRF member

Post by scott_s »

(Kind of late to add to the thread, but...)

Joe, I wasn't really implying that *everyone* should go out and refret their 325's with Burns fretwire -- I was just curious about the specs. As a wannabe luthier, I eat details like that up! :^)

So, does anyone know? Dr Mark?

Cheers,
- Scott

Return to “Rickenbacker Vintage 325 Models: by Glen Lambert”