Welcome Jess James

Discuss the early days of the Club with the manager.
admin
Site Admin

Welcome Jess James

Post by admin »

The first manager of the Iron Door Club, Jess James has kindly agreed to join the Iron Door Club Forum.

Jess managed the Club in the beginning before moving to take on the responsibilities as manager of the Tower Ballroom, New Brighton. It was after his departure that Clem Dalton managed the Iron Door.

I trust Jess will have some interesting comments and stories about the Iron Door in the early days. His time at the Tower Ballroom will also stand him in good stead here.

Welcome Jess! I very much appreciate your willingness to join us in this interesting history of the Iron Door Club.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
werewolf

Post by werewolf »

HI. MY NAME IS JESS,I WAS THE MANAGER OF THE IRON DOOR CLUB,ALSO THE TOWER BALLROOM,THE BLUE ANGEL,AND FINALY THE CAVERN,BEFORE GOING TO LIVE IN L.A. IF ANY ONE REMEMBERS ME,OR HAS ANY QUESTIONS REGARDING THE IRON DOOR OR THE 6OS, PLEASE DONT HESITATE TO ASK. REGARDS JESS
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Jess: I would like to ask about the climate at the Iron Door Club. There are stories about the rough and tumble behaviour in the late 50s and early 1960s in Liverpool. While I have heard that you ran a "tight ship" did you find that certain groups were more prone to violent behaviour than others at the Iron Door?

I hope you won't mind if I ask you to avoid all upper or all lower case as it is often difficult for others to read.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
werewolf

Post by werewolf »

Hi Peter. In reply to your question, yes we had our problems. We mainly catered for mods. Their dress was tidy as was their attitude,mostly. My main problems came from Rockers, as they would come in gangs looking for trouble and as I assume you already know, Mods and Rockers did not mix.

Other problems were drugs, purple hearts they were called (drynamil tabs) these were easy to get if you knew the right doctor. Weed was plentiful but easily detected by smell, so those caught in possession were ejected never to visit the Door again. Fortunately this did not happen often. As well as ruinning a "tight ship", we were also trying to run a "clean ship" regards. jess p.s. Keep your questions coming
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Most interesting Jess. This is a fantastic opportunity to find out about the 1960s music scene in Liverpool and the "goings on" at The Door. Thanks for your comments. Long may they continue.

Along somewhat similar lines, are you able to divide the groups that played at the Iron Door Club into those who were Mods and those who were Rockers?

13_temple_street
RRF Consultant

Post by 13_temple_street »

Whilst Jess is thinking of an answer this photograph shows Clem,Sir Johny Dankworth,Jess,at work in THE IRON DOOR(aka Storyville 1962 Image
13_temple_street
RRF Consultant

The advert for the event Johnny Dankworth is a Jazz Legend.He was Knighted by The Queen recently is now Sir Johnny Dankworth.July 27th 1962.
13_temple_street
RRF Consultant

Talking about Mods & Rockers this photograph posted by Miguel Valpuesta from the book Liverpool Days showing the three Mods or two Mods & one Mocker, the last name attributed to Dan Paul Terry,I thought was very funny.These three Mods were all members of THE STORYVILLE in 1963.I have conversed with all three,I cannot name them, the one in the middle we think was called Alan,nick named George because he resembled George Harrison.The photograph looks as though it was taken in Temple Court on Peters
Arial map Temple Court is clearly visible.
13_temple_street
RRF Consultant

THE THREE MOCKERS

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Geoff: Who is the man at the far right in the photo with Clem and Jess. The man in the back row almost looks like a young Billy J. Kramer.

13_temple_street
RRF Consultant

That's Charlie Scott an old buddy.Charlie is a big time club owner in Liverpool.I used to rely on Charlie to watch my back in the old days.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Welcome Jess James

Post by admin »

Geoff: Is there any chace you could contact Jess James again so that we might learn more about his experience at the Iron Door Club?

Return to “Iron Door Club Forum: by Geoff Hogarth”