THE VISIT

Discuss the early days of the Club with the manager.
drumbob
RRF Consultant

Post by drumbob »

Take it from a drummer how has studied Ringo for forty plus years, and who has listened to Pete Best as well: Ringo kicked his ***.

Ringo's strength was not technical mastery of the drumset, but his ability to play whatever was necessary to make each song work, and his timekeeping was and still is, spot-on impeccable. He simply did what was right for every tune and made the music feel good.

While Pete Best was a serviceable player, Ringo was and is, a master rock drummer, IMO, the greatest rock drummer who ever lived.
DW Drummer Signing Off
hamilton_square

Post by hamilton_square »

Drumbob – spot on or as near as damit’ is to swearing, though I personally wouldn’t go as far to say “the greatest rock drummer who ever lived.”

Like you say, not the most technically gifted / ‘studio thumper’ of his type. However, put him on a stage in front of a live audience and watch the lights get turned on. Even back during those ole’ Hurricane performances if the audience was up for it Ringo would likewise eventually respond accordingly.

I think it would be fair to say (though I’m sure Geoff Hogarth will correct me if I’m wrong) that like the post-Hamburg Beatles, Rory Storm and The Hurricanes could call upon arguably the largest repertoire of live performance material of any other group around on Merseyside at time before they began to repeat themselves. Therefore, you name it and Ringo Starr had to put a beat to it.

The best performance video footage I’ve yet to see that comes near to demonstrating how Ringo Starr’s drumming responded to a live audience can be seen on YouTube @

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ow2ewKJsUk
Of course I love you!!!
13_temple_street
RRF Consultant

Post by 13_temple_street »

Rory Storm formed his first group in 1957,he could be described as a true legend on the beat scene.
Ringo joined him in 1959.I remember watching Ringo in what may have been his first performance with Rory at the Mardi Gras club in Liverpool.
On that occasion the band was probably called Rory Storm & The Texans.

The house where Ringo was born in Madryn Street,Liverpool 8 along with 400 more homes are due to be demolished.
Ringo's new album is expected to be released on the Parlophone label,he has returned to his roots for the title-the LP will be called LIVERPOOL 8.

The recent posting on the forum of the visit to the Iron Door of Brian,George,Paul & John I thought long & hard before I submitted the missive by my friend Tony, not wishing to bring the subject of Pete Bests sacking forward to be discussed once again!
In the end I decided that the information was of sufficient historical importance as to warrant the disclosure.
I have some sympathy with most of the opinions expressed,and once again can only express my absolute amazement at the vast knowledge the contributors to the forum.

I did have conversation's with Brian Epstein & on at least two occasion's brought up the subject of the sacking,he did not wish to be drawn into a discusion,I did however form a judgement that he was not the prime mover.It had been left to him as manager to inform Pete the other members of the band wanted him out.
Musicians through out the ages have always demonstrated that they have the freedom to come and go if the situation with a band does not fit in with their musical expression.
Very rarely do we witness a sacking of this enormity.
The travesty is that it was a critical time when the Beatles were about to achieve success.

Much has been said about the musical prowess of individual drummers.I can only comment on the drummers on Merseyside in the 50s & 60s.
Pete Best was a noted top drummer in Liverpool,naturaly he had his own style and pace.
Ringo on the other hand was what I describe "Limber" drummer along with Johny Hutchinson of the Big Three, another drummer would be Peter Minshull's man "Trevor" drummer with Faron's Flamingo's,Peddlars.

Finally a message for Lyle over the months I have been involved with the Iron Door Forum I have had the privilege to read the positive contributions you have made to the different sites on the Rickresource forum,if you were in the Iron Door in the 60s Tony and I would have been delighted to join you for a natter and a cup of coffee!.
lyle_from_minneapolis
Advanced Member

Post by lyle_from_minneapolis »

What a nice thing to say, Geoff. You made my day, thank you!

I think that would have been a very enjoyable life, indeed.
Here is where I hide my music:
http://www.soundclick.com/MarkKaufman
hamilton_square

Re: Geoff Hogarth’s above-mentioned reference to "my man" the rarely heard Trevor Morais.

The BBC Radio Merseyside link below is for this forthcoming Saturday’s schedule [29th September 2007] and in particular “On The Beat” hosted by Spencer Leigh between the GMT hours of 18:30 and 20:00.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cgi-perl/whatson/search/daylist.cgi?service_id=50740&day=Saturday#evening

Online audio access to BBC Radio Merseyside can be found at:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/liverpool/local_radio/index.shtml

Note # If unable to listen in real time, BBC Radio Merseyside only archive their broadcasts for a maximum of 7 days before being deleted. To access the “Listen Again” archive program menu – from the BBC Radio Merseyside Home Page locate and click-on “Listen Again” situated alongside the “Listen Live” icon.

I have absolutely no idea how much of the 90-minute broadcast will be taken up by the Trevor Morias interview. I can only say that having listened to previous Spencer Leigh pre-recorded “On The Beat” interviews - it should be substantial.
Of course I love you!!!
13_temple_street
RRF Consultant

Re: THE VISIT

Joe Flannery has published a book STANDING in the WINGS-The Beatles Brian Epstein and me. The book deals with Joe's early childhood in Liverpool and his childhood friendship with Brian Epstein, later chapters deal with his business involvement with
Epstein. The book also deals with the controversial dismissal of Pete Best. Joe appears to be around when this drama explodes readers on the forum may find Joe's version a satisfactory conclusion to this controversy .www.thehistorypress.co.uk
13_temple_street
RRF Consultant

I feel the urge to chime in again at the possible cost of being boring. If you need more information on Joe Flannery, Peter 'Hamilton Square' submitted a excellent article detailing some of Joe's achievements on the Liverpool Projects site.( Peter's football team had a very successful season, I'm thinking he will be in a good frame of mind to once again work his magic with a reply.
Mike Brocken the ghost writer of the book is the instigator of the 'Beatles Popular Music Society MA course at the Hope University.
hamilton_square

Geoff: For Evertonians any season is a good season when the blue of Everton (6th) finishes above the red of Liverpool (7th) in the English Premier League – albeit by only one place on this occasion. A state of affairs that as not always been the case when once-upon-a-time Liverpool FC conquered all before them. But, in footballing terms that was long ago and as we know only too well [Geoff] times change.

Return to “Iron Door Club Forum: by Geoff Hogarth”