Capital of Culture

Discuss the early days of the Club with the manager.
admin
Site Admin

Capital of Culture

Post by admin »

Geoff: Rumour has it that you have met with the executive of the Capital of Culture with a view to promoting a show at the Olympia West Derby Road Liverpool 4 on Friday April 25, 2008. Are you able to confirm that this is true and if it is are you able to let us in on the festivities that are being planned?

This must seem like old times. Will the Iron Door Club have a presence at this event in one form or another?
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
13_temple_street
RRF Consultant

Re: Capital of Culture

Post by 13_temple_street »

Yes Peter I can confirm the rumour is correct !
I did have a meeting with Gordon Ross who is the musical coordinator at the Capital Culture Company.
Gordon invited me to the culture offices to discuss the show the" Iron Door" is proposing to promote on Friday April 25th 2008at the "Olympia"West Derby Road, Liverpool 4.
The outcome of this visit resulted in the Culture Company giving their full approval for the proposed show,in addition they offered to promote the show on their web site and link up with the Iron Door site on RickResource.
Naturally I am very pleased with the positive reaction to our ideas,and appreciation of our effort on behalf of all the musicians and performers who were around in the 50s/60s to celebrate Liverpool being voted the European Capital of Culture.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks, Geoff. Is it too early for you to let us in on the lineup, at least in part? Have any of the original Iron Door acts stepped forward?
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
13_temple_street
RRF Consultant

The Liverpool Museum of Life in their wisdom are organising a big static exhibition at the Walker Art Gallery in Liverpool their idea is to bring to prominence the venues in the City that promoted bands and groups.This is probably the first time that a large official organisation has recognized the importance that these establishment's played, in the musical history of this City.Their brief includes musical performers,for example when I met up with the Museums Curator she was eager to persuade Cilla Black to donate a dress she wore in the early part of her career.
The period they have selected as a starting point ,is the Swing Dance Bands of the Forties,right up to present day.The Museums exhibition will start in June 2008 for a period of twelve months.
I mention the Museums contribution because our proposed show at the Olympia will have a similar theme, the difference will be that one is a static exhibition, the other (Iron Doors)will be live music.(I have to confess that the idea for our event is pinched from the Museum's proposals.)
We start with the Swing Dance Bands of the Forties this will be headlined by "Craig Douglas".
Some of Craigs arrangements and songs reached near top rating in the hit parade in the 50s /60s (Only Sixteen / When my Little Girl is Smiling ) are two that comes to mind.he will be backed by a dance band .
Chas McDevitt.Since the death of Lonnie Donegan who was known world wide as the King of Skiffle.Chas McDevitt must be a likely contender for that title.
Chas McDevitt is remembered along with Nancy Whisky for their rendition of "Freight Train "
Nancy Whisky will not be appearing she died a few months ago and she is sadly missed.
The backing group for Chas is the" Four Just Men" all were around playing for various bands in the 60s
The Blue Magnolia Jazz Orchestra will represent the jazz period of the 50sand 60s.One of their claims to fame is they performed for a few episodes on television in one of the early period drama's
The Blue Mags will be celebrating Forty years in 2008 as an established Trad -Jazz -Band.
Joining them on stage will be two Giants in the jazz world "KENNY BALL" and John Bennett.
Kenny Ball and his band performed regularly at the Iron Door in the early 60s.
The last category is the Rock and Roll element all the musicians were performing in the 60s
The MOJOS is the main band (details of this band can be found on Peter McCormack's Iron Door Site along with Lee Curtis and Beryl Marsden) Karl Terry,Johnny Rocco,Lee Curtis,Beryl Marsden,Johnny Gustafson (Big Three) Gaz Gascoigne on the saxaphone.
The master of ceremonies will be FRANKIE CONNER BBC Radio Merseyside Presenter.
As with all Iron Door promotion's the proceeds after expenses will go to charity
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Wow. Sounds like it will be a wonderful time, Geoff. I can hardly wait to see more details over the course of time as we get closer to the event.

royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Hope the show goes well Geoff, Craig Douglas made some good pop records in early 60's but like so many the beat boom finished the hit records but not the career.

Never a fan of the trad jazz phase but a lot are.

Mojos I loved especially the original line up with Stu James on lead vocal, should have had more success Geoff.

Frankie Connor was in a band Geoff but I can't recall which one, I think if memory serves me right he was behind the concept album Class Of 64
13_temple_street
RRF Consultant

Thank you Roy for your good wishes,the Mojo's have just returned from playing in Norway with two of the original band members in the line up.They were a good progressive group in the 60s.
Craig Douglas;Apart from knowing about some of his musical exploits in the hit parade I know very little about him.
Frankie Conner I have a photograph of an eighteen year old Frankie on my wall it was taken in Temple Street outside the Iron Door.His first group was called the 'Hideaways' some years later probable late 60s the band was renamed the "Confucius" this band released a uk single called 'Brandenburg Concerto'
Frankie and a chap called Finley wrote the' B' side of this record I think they called it messenger or maybe message.
You are correct in thinking Roy, that Frankie was associated with the "class of 64"he and some mates plus musicians made an album of songs they became known as the 'class of 64'.
I remember seeing the label of this album it depicted a brightly coloured sprig of holly.

Return to “Iron Door Club Forum: by Geoff Hogarth”