Iron Door Plaque Unveiling

Discuss the early days of the Club with the manager.
13_temple_street
RRF Consultant

Iron Door Plaque Unveiling

Post by 13_temple_street »

Interesting comments by King Size Taylor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX12579B-oc
admin
Site Admin

Re: Iron Door Plaque Unveiling

Post by admin »

Very nice comments from Ted who has set the record straight, Geoff. The Iron Door Club was a rock and roll venue before the Cavern and many people do not realize this fact. Ted still rocks too! Thanks for bringing our attention to this short clip from you tube.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
hamilton_square

Post by hamilton_square »

Geoff - unfortunately, time is running out for all of us – the clock is seemingly ticking faster for some more than others. So, don’t be shy the next time a camera is pointed in your direction or a microphone shoved towards you – like King Size, tell ‘em what it was all about while you can. If there's a trumpet there - blow it.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Peter: Profound words and I quite agree. Go get 'em Geoff.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
hamilton_square

Post by hamilton_square »

Geoff; I haven’t seen Dave Williams for decades [identified 20 secs into the video]. We both attended the same Birkenhead school, though, because of a four years age difference, I was just starting as he was finishing. I wouldn’t recognise him now if I fell over him.

This is how I remember Dave Williams 1962-63 …
dwill3.jpg
13_temple_street
RRF Consultant

This video of the Iron Door plaque unveiling filmed and presumably edited by Dave Williams captures the comradery of the musicians who were performing with Merseyside groups of the 50s/60s.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks very much Geoff for this post with a link to a video that captures the spirit in the day. :)

jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

What a great celebration, Geoff! 8)
13_temple_street
RRF Consultant

It's me again Jeffery hope you are safe and well. This DVD turned up, not seen since the unveiling, worth sharing don't you think?
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Yes, Geoff, I had not seen this thread before yesterday. Very cool to have all those folks there to be a art in the unveiling. Did McCartney not get an invite? :mrgreen:
13_temple_street
RRF Consultant

Did McCartney not get an invite?
I rather think this is a tongue in cheek question; No! Jeffery :- 1961 The owner of the Cavern 'Ray McFall' successfully persuaded the Beatles NOT to perform at the Iron Door, the Cavern club was for the first time experiencing cash deficiencies . McFall offered extra bookings and more money ,the Beatles agreed to these terms. When Brian Epstein became the groups manager, one of his first acts was to contact me to inform me that the Beatles would resume performing at the Iron Door for a fee of Forty Four pounds. Kingsize Taylor was always my first choice to pull the chord to unveil the plaque.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

So it is true. Money talks! :shock:

Probably for the best, anyway. Crowd control would not have been fun to deal with had Paul been there.

Return to “Iron Door Club Forum: by Geoff Hogarth”