Caribbean Steel bands in the late 50's early 60's

Discuss the early days of the Club with the manager.
Hambug days

Caribbean Steel bands in the late 50's early 60's

Post by Hambug days »

A couple of years ago I wrote the book "The Beatles - From Cavern to Star-Club". Since then I have also been involved in the Bear Family Record CD/Book box release "Beatles Bop - Hamburg Days". Now I work on my third book about British Beat in Hamburg in the early 60’s. This book, “Echoes of Hamburg… Beatles and British Beat before the Beginning”, is the main reason I contact you. I’m keen to learn more about the Caribbean Steel band the clubs in Liverpool back in the late 50's early 60's. especially the Royal Caribbean Steel Band. / Hans
admin
Site Admin

Re: Caribbean Steel bands in the late 50's early 60's

Post by admin »

Hans: Thanks for your questions. We will do what we can. It may be fun to get a guest appearance in your new book. :lol:
I certainly have enjoyed your publications so far and look forward to this next book. There was so much excitement in Hamburg and Liverpool during these days. One example is the exchange visits between members of the Star Club and the Iron Door Club.

The Caribbean Steel Band played most often at the Jacaranda, from what I have learned about them. On one occasion they actually played at the Iron Door Club and the heart and soul of the Club, Geoff Hogarth may well chime in here. He has forgotten more that I will ever know about the Club.

My communication with Geoff has revealed that he booked the band through a man named Zanc and 'Lord Woodbine' who were regulars at the Club. Another acquaintance named Alan Tanner knew them very well an apparently the band members looked up to Alan because of his prowess in the boxing ring. So it seems that Alan was a key player in convincing the band to give the Iron Door a go.

Geoff has told me that "it was very difficult for the band to maneuver the steel drums - some were 45 gallon containers down the stairs into the basement." Apparently this obstacle alone was a deciding factor and argued against further bookings. It is understandable that the group would not want to lug all these drums around for each gig and may explain their preference for one venue.

I hope I have my story correct and know that Geoff will let me know if I have mislead.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
13_temple_street
RRF Consultant

Post by 13_temple_street »

St Patrick's Night Rock Ball
To-night Friday March 17
Liverpool Jazz Society
13 Temple Street
THE OLD IRON DOOR
ROCK AND CHA-CHA
7-30--1am
THE BEATLES !!
GERRY & THE PACEMAKERS
KINGSIZE TAYLOR & THE
DOMINOES
SIMON CARDOVA AND HIS
ROYALE CARIBEAN STEEL BAND
BILL BAILEY'S CALYPSO BAND
This is a copy of the line up for March 17th 1961.
Hambug days

Post by Hambug days »

Hi again,

Many thanks for the info. Admiring your work on the Iron Door! Do you possible have anything further on the Royal Caribbean Steel Band? Noticed there is a piture of the band existing, but I have no info from where and when. As you understand I'm trying to learn more about the story behind the first contacts between Liverpool and Hamburg. I have my doubts that the Royal Caribbean Steel Band was the reason Allan Williams first went over. There appear to have been several steel bands playing Liverpool in the late 50's early the 60's, but first indication of the Royal Caribbean seems to be from Iron Door in 1961. What's needed to verify Williams story is any kind of indiaction that they actually did play Liverpool as early as 1960, so if there's anything you can add on that I'm very grateful. I assume Liverpool Express or Echo from the time has ads on what went on in the clubs in the city, but unfortunately I haven't been able to gain access.
Hambug days

Post by Hambug days »

P.S: What is the source of the list of performers at Iron Door in March 1961? A hand bill or ad?
13_temple_street
RRF Consultant

steelband.JPG
Advert dated March 17th 1961. Liverpool Post and Echo.
13_temple_street
RRF Consultant

HI Hans,
I had a art business called Slater Art Studio's, 17 Slater Street Liverpool 2, it was situated two doors up from the Jacaranda. I lived at the above address two years before Alan Williams acquired the premises 1957 opening in 1958. I can vouch for the fact that a steel band played there every evening week in and week out, I don't know if the band had a name at this time it would not surprise me if in fact this was Simon Cordovas Royale Caribbean Steel Band. I recall when I jotted down the bands details in preparation for the advert in 1961 I was instructed to spell Royal as Royale.
Hambug days

Post by Hambug days »

Hi Peter and Geoff!

Thanks for your information! I hope I can quote you in my work! The appearance at Iron Door is as far as I know the first recorded performance by the Royale Caribbean Steel Band in Liverpool. Was the gig at Iron Door a one of performance or? Any idea if they played any other club in the city before?

Happy Holidays or God jul och Gott Nytt År as we say over here in Sweden!
13_temple_street
RRF Consultant

Hans: I realize how important it is for you to be in possession of all the facts, I will endeavor to inquire for adverts , Alan Williams promoted at least one Jazz Band Ball at St Georges Hall in Liverpool in the late 50s early 60s. from memory I think he had a steel band as part of his show. Thank you for your kind thoughts ! may I wish you health and happiness for the festive season and new year.
You can certainly quote the Liverpool Daily Post and Echo advert, incidentally I have found two more adverts for the same show but, with different wording.
May I suggest you contact Teddy Taylor (Kingsize Taylor and the Dominoes ) he spent many years living and playing in Hamburg in the early 60s, he has now settled back there and fronting a new German band.

Return to “Iron Door Club Forum: by Geoff Hogarth”