Photos of Mike Pender

Discuss the early days of the Club with the manager.
ricardo

Photos of Mike Pender

Post by ricardo »

I am working with Mike Pender on his autobiography.
We need a good photo of him playing his Rickenbacker in the 60s or 70s, withoiut the other Searchers in the shot.
We also need one or two good shots of The Searchers in performance at the Iron Door.
We would, of course, credit the source of any photos used in the book.
Mike and I would especially like to contact Geoff Hogarth about the Iron Door days.
The book is due to be published next March, to coincide with a major UK tour.
Many thanks.
13_temple_street
RRF Consultant

Re: Photos of Mike Pender

Post by 13_temple_street »

Richard; After years of searching for photographs of individuals and groups taken at the Iron Door 13, Temple Street Liverpool 2 with limited results, I hope that you are successful !
I was encouraged to read in your request for information that Mike Pender has decided to write his autobiography I certainly look forward to reading the book. I was dismayed when Mike decided to leave the Searchers and gutted at the eventual break up of the group.
I will be delighted to talk to you and Mike about the Iron Door days.
ricardo

Post by ricardo »

Hi Geoff,

Many thanks for your reply - I will pass on your words to Mike and we will be in contact with you in the next few weeks.

I would also like to contact Peter McCormack to ask his permission to quote from his website on the Iron Door for Mike's book.

Could you give me his contact details ?

Regards,
Richard Mahoney
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Richard, please send me a PM, username admin or an email through the board.

Peter
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
ricardo

Post by ricardo »

Hi Peter,

Apologies for the delay in replying.
I am writing on behalf of Mike Pender - as mentioned, I am helping him to write his autobiography,which will is due to be published next March.
We would like to have your permission to quote from the RickResource sites ,regarding the Searchers and the Iron Door.
We are also in contact with Geoff Hogarth, as we are also on the look out for Iron Door photos.
We would be happy to credit you with whatever wording that you wish.
Please reply to my e-mail address if you like - richard.mahoney4@btinternet.com
Many thanks.
Regards,
Richard Mahoney
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

This book now delayed for whatever reason now looks like being late 2013 title is The Search For Myself
Attachments
the search for myself
the search for myself
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Now looks as if it will be 2014
13_temple_street
RRF Consultant

Thanks for keeping visitors and members posted on the proposed new launch of MIKE PENDER'S book.
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

it's now available
Attachments
It's out now!!
It's out now!!
hamilton_square

Post by hamilton_square »

I’ve always felt The Searchers 1963 Iron Door recording session, which the You Tube link above to ‘Let’s Stomp’ was one of the numbers, to have been a rather flat and lifeless set of numbers that lacked energy. The session was crying out for an audience to be added to the mix. But then again, that wasn’t the purpose of the session, was it! Copies of the acetate recording were only intended as a means of showcasing the hit-making potential of the group to London-based recording companies.

I was a fan of the ‘early’ Searchers, but the group's vocal sound lost something for me the day Tony Jackson walked away. His high register singing voice contrasted well with that of Mike Pender’s mid-register vocal range.

Talking of distinctive singing voices, I was also a fan of another early 60s Liverpool group The Dennisons. Though ranked below that of the Searchers in the pecking order, The Dennisons nevertheless did release a couple of minor UK hit singles. The group had two vocalists, Eddie Parry and guitarist Ray Scragg. They were the polar opposites in vocal styles. Eddie Parry was all poppy-sounding and would be on the A side while Ray Scragg would sometimes be on the B side.

Every time I listen to a then 19 to 20-year old Ray Scragg I think of a young Joe Cocker before the whisky and cigarettes sandpapered his vocal cords.

All the best Coronavirus advice for us of advanced years says stay indoors and take care of yourself Geoff.
13_temple_street
RRF Consultant

i was a fan of the 'early' Searchers, but the groups vocal sound lost something for me the day Tony Jackson walked away.
.Peter I found myself in the midst of this calamities destruction of the group, feelings amongst all the members of the group were on a knife edge. I tried in vain to persuade Tony Jackson to change his mind, but, his plans for his future with the new group he was forming were too well advanced; I often reflect one particular occasion the Searchers were on their break sitting in the coffee bar of the Iron Door club , I was walking past I heard a voice 'Go on ask him' 'Ask him' the next thing I remember was Mike Pender walking in step by my side
The lads have had a meeting and they want you to manage us
Iwas dumbfounded I did not have a thought in my head as to how I should reply to his request.I think I said I'll have to give it some serious thought. I had recently signed up to manage Freddie Fowell and the Kansas City Five. Had I replied 'yES' I'll have a go with you' events may have turned out differently. I attended the funeral of Chris Curtis after the church service everyone collected in the outside space , I was in conversation with Mike Pender ,when John Mc nally walked passed Mike Pender greeted John and offered his hand as a gesture of friend ship No! No! JOHN brushed Mikes hand away
Too much bad water has flown under the bridge.
The Dennisons were vastly underrated, they deserved to be higher in the groups pecking order. Nice to have you back Peter this site probably wouldn't exist without you. I will certainly take your advice on the virus .

Return to “Iron Door Club Forum: by Geoff Hogarth”