Replacing Vintage Strap Button With Schaller Button

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

SMiLE

Replacing Vintage Strap Button With Schaller Button

Post by SMiLE »

I have a 325c64 and a 360/12c63 whose vintage strap buttons I want to replace with the Schaller compatible buttons. I bought the 05904 part number from rickenbacker that will fit into the holes. I've never replaced a strap button before so I just wanted to ask how others think I should do this so it gets done properly. Should I loosen the strings? Do I need to use some tool to loosen the vintage bolt & tighten the new one in, or will my fingers work fine? Any other comments/tips? Thanks!
Medicus1963

Re: Replacing Vintage Strap Button With Schaller Button

Post by Medicus1963 »

Hi,

In case of the 325 you have to loose the strings, as the whole string- tension is held by the strap button ! Then a capo would be helpful if you don't want to change strings either. If your 12 String has the trapeze string holder you only have to swap the Strap holder screw.Fingers shout work fine, a careful help by some cotton towel armed pliers can be necessary

Greetings

Peter
All you need is love and a rick !
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Medicus1963 wrote:Hi,

In case of the 325 you have to loose the strings, as the whole string- tension is held by the strap button ! Then a capo would be helpful if you don't want to change strings either. If your 12 String has the trapeze string holder you only have to swap the Strap holder screw.Fingers shout work fine, a careful help by some cotton towel armed pliers can be necessary

Greetings

Peter
Could a pair of carefully placed clamps hold the Accent in place while changing the button?
Medicus1963

Post by Medicus1963 »

Hi Jason,

I wont do this, because the clamps can slip and an arrow type moving Accent is not that fun !!! you do not have to unmount the strings, just loose them an use the capo as the second fix-point.

Greetings

Peter
All you need is love and a rick !
Tommy
Intermediate Member

Post by Tommy »

Not a bad idea to put a felt washer under the button. I put them on my 360. Can't see them, and they sure do protect the paint. Don't know why Ric doesn't make use of those little felt washers under the buttons. The buttons are screwed right up against the paint! My paint actually started to chip there, so on went the felt washers. Can get them in black or white. Cheap item that helps.
andee

Post by andee »

Tommy wrote:Not a bad idea to put a felt washer under the button. I put them on my 360. Can't see them, and they sure do protect the paint. Don't know why Ric doesn't make use of those little felt washers under the buttons. The buttons are screwed right up against the paint! My paint actually started to chip there, so on went the felt washers. Can get them in black or white. Cheap item that helps.
I've got a similar problem with my 360-6 v64, now it's got a little chip under the schaller strap button. :cry:
I can only recommend to use this felt washers...

It's so annoying, I with I would have read this thread before I've changed my strap-buttons... :(
A Rickenbacker player from germany

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”