Chickenbacker

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Re: Chickenbacker

Post by squirebass »

lordblackmore wrote:As far as quality fakers, you really have to go back to the lawsuit era instruments to find one. I had a Univox 4001 copy that the previous owner had put RIC pickups in and it looked like a real rick, played like a real rick and most importantly sounded like a real 4001. It was even neck through construction. One truss rod, of course.

The reason for that is back then, the companies making these were really interested in make nearly exact copies of the originals.

I never should have sold that bass. :)

When I was in high school
I played in a band with a guy that owned an Electra Les Paul from the early '70s, before they changed their logo to the peace sign, and open book headstock. The "Electra" was written in script, just like the real Les Paul, and with the open book headstock it looked like the real thing from a distance of 5-6 feet! Those guitars played pretty well too, although they were regarded as "cheap Japanese copies". I think you could get one for about $125-$150 back then, not a bad deal for struggling high school kids who couldn't afford anything more expensive. I still see those guitars offered on craigslist from time to time, but the price has gone up.
theonemanband

Post by theonemanband »

lordblackmore wrote:As far as quality fakers, you really have to go back to the lawsuit era instruments to find one. I had a Univox 4001 copy that the previous owner had put RIC pickups in and it looked like a real rick, played like a real rick and most importantly sounded like a real 4001. It was even neck through construction. One truss rod, of course.

The reason for that is back then, the companies making these were really interested in make nearly exact copies of the originals.
I just don't get the "copy/fake" thing. One knows it's not an original, so the ONLY person one is fooling is ONESELF !! :roll:

Much better to buy a less expensive, but original instrument.
only my opinion of course!
JoeyG1949

Post by JoeyG1949 »

The scam, sadly, sucker punches some buyers. They actually think they are getting the real thing. My friend did.
parker_knoll

Post by parker_knoll »

sorry to revive a necro thread, but i couldn't see if this had been featured anywhere. At least, a search for "socialite" didn't get me anywhere

A high quality copy rather than a low quality one

http://www.nelsoninstruments.com/instru ... socialite/
LenMinNJ
Intermediate Member

Post by LenMinNJ »

At least they're not faking a Rickenbacker headstock and logo.
LenMinNJ
Intermediate Member

Post by LenMinNJ »

Here's a link to more of the Rickenbacks:

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?cat ... rickenback
indianation65

Post by indianation65 »

How do they get away with it? Simple, nobody tells China what to do. That's the way it is...

...wisdom
Indian Folklore and Wisdom—Love, Learn, Listen

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”