1960 360 Capri Nut 2T035

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

WyattChirp

1960 360 Capri Nut 2T035

Post by WyattChirp »

Still working on the photos. I'd like some guidance on the nut. Even though I've had her since '61, somehow the nut is a "floating" white bone instead of a black/fixed. From what I've been told and from what I can see, it should be black. As many times as the strings have been replaced, it's always been this way. Just want to get her up an running. But in the correct way. a Any help?
Ontario_RIC_fan
Advanced Member

Re: 1960 360 Capri Nut 2T035

Post by Ontario_RIC_fan »

Try Paul at this website. He has restored Capris before and should have an opinion for you.

http://studio-california.com/home.html
Brian Morton
A Rickenbacker Fan
in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
=========================
67 FG 625
74 JG 4000
76 JG 430
77 JG 620
77 JG 320
79 JG 4001
80 FG 620/12
81 BG 480
91 JG 610
02 BG 620
78 TR7
83 TR25
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

The nut for a Capri should be black. You should be able to use a standard RIC 6-string bakelite nut for a replacement. You can get a nut from RIC or an authorized RIC dealer.
http://boutique.rickenbacker.com/NUT-ST ... p_566.html
http://www.pickofthericks.com/rickenbac ... 325-black/

The standard RIC 6-string nut is 1/8" thick. If the space between the top of the fretboard and the bottom of the TRC on your Capri is much more than that, you could have a luthier make a nut for you of the proper thickness.

This advice is from my own experience with Capris and is subject to whatever the pros may weigh in with.
37012player

Post by 37012player »

The original nuts were made from black phenolic material and paper or cloth (it doesn't really matter) and they were glued on prior to the finish being sprayed on.

This material is still readily available as it is commonly used by custom knife makers the world over. Look up knife making websites they use it for side grips, so enough for one knife will make many many guitar or bass nuts. It can be cut with a hacksaw blade, filed, sanded and buffed to look just like one from the factory back in the day. By working through grades of wet/dry sand paper, used wet, you can get the factory look without too much work. Follow this up by polishing on something like a dremel or even a chordless drill with buffing pads and compound that can be had from most hardware shops. With this it can readily be bought up to look just like an original nut. Google pics of similar era instruments to get the look just right for you.

For string slots look at YouTube there are plenty of tutorials. A cheap set of nut slot cutting files can be had online. For string spread spacing use your old nut as a guide or use Stewart MacDonald's website as a reference to guide you on string spacing. The factory did not have great jigs and fixtures so the slot spacing varied slightly from instrument to instrument...like most things old school Rickenbacker.

This job just takes a little patience if your the type that's handy with basic hand tools and it's a bonus if you get satisfied by DIYing. A few drops of yellow or white wood glue fixes the nut to the neck at the end of the fret board.

From this I hope it gives you the ability to do a cost comparison between DIY and paying for someone to do this for you.

Excuse typos I iPhoned it in.

Regards,

Si..
WyattChirp

Post by WyattChirp »

Thanks for all of the advice. My guy has received the correct blank and will be working on her next week. Thanks again.
WyattChirp

Post by WyattChirp »

Just keeps getting better. Didn't get the right material. Took your advice and I found what we needed at a custom knife maker supply house. Thanks again.
37012player

Post by 37012player »

Glad to be of help. Hope you get time to post a few pics when you have the guitar back to original. The original 360's are very cool guitars.

Cheers,

Si...

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”