Opinions: Creamery Toasters

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

drumbob
RRF Consultant

Opinions: Creamery Toasters

Post by drumbob »

I am looking at a set of these for my incoming 330-12. They're considerably less expensive than Rick toasters, $195 for a set. Any opinions? Other options?
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Re: Opinions: Creamery Toasters

Post by jdogric12 »

Just did a quick search here, sounds like they are good, but different.
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

If your 330 is a newer guitar with the adjustable pole high-gains, they are superior pickups in that you can shade the tone by the setting of the height of the pole pieces to anything from very, very close to original toasters by raising the screws and lowering the coils, to screwing down the polepieces and getting more mids from the coils being relatively closer to the strings raising the overall pickup height a little bit. I suggest you experiment with everything the new high-gains have to offer before reflexively dropping a chunk of change on pickups that may or may not actually be the tone you desire. Good quality pickups, yes, but why spend the $$$ if you don't have to?
collin

Post by collin »

I’ll add to Scott’s post that adjustable pole hi gains are the easiest to retrofit a toaster cover as well, which is a great solution if you like the hi gain tone, but want toaster looks.
blueburst330

Post by blueburst330 »

It's not a great video, but I did some comparison between stock hi-gains and a Creamery '63 toaster replacement in the bridge position of my Rickenbacker 360/6 midnight blue. You can see it at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk5T99tQ4IM

Apologize in advance for the intro, but you'll get the gist.
Attachments
DSC00852.jpg
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

The main reason Toasters sound the way they do is that they're wound to 8k ohms. The main reason that current hi gains (which were also originally wound to 8k) sound different is because they're wound to 12k. Have your hi gains unwound to 8k and you'll pretty much have your nice open bright Toaster tone without adding aftermarket pickups which infringe on a RIC trademark.
MrWilson

Post by MrWilson »

I’ve received my set of Creamery Toasters a month ago. The Original ones are way too expensive, so I got a 63 set with 7-8K output and these are really nice pickups. I installed them on my 330 and as I also own a 360 with high gains, I’m able to compare both side by side. I might do a little video to show that.

First difference, is the lower output, which gives less lower midrange. HiGains can be a little farty on certain configurations, and somewhat lack high end bite. The HiGains have this soft attack that works really well on my Fender amps, and have gritty - mid-rangy tone while playing crunchy lead sounds.

The Toaster by the Creamery is more scooped comparatively. The top end is more open, bass is much tighter, it gives you a move vintage / woody sound. Remember that the toasters are flat, and they don’t follow the string radius like the HG do. This, is also responsible for the different voicing. I’ve always felt the high E lacks presence with HG. It’s not the case with the toasters. Also, The Creamery are more balanced in terms of output.

All-in-all, I do like both pickups. Now, 190euros is a very good price for a handmade set a pickups, I’d say get a pair, try it, and sell it if you don’t like it. It won’t dramatically change the sound of your guitar, but they do feel very different, and won’t be disappointed. This is guaranteed.
drumbob
RRF Consultant

Post by drumbob »

I appreciate the responses. I wound up buying a used set of Toasters for that 330-12, but now, I think I want to ditch the Hi Gains on both my Rick six strings as well, and just get Toasters all around, so I had a look at the Creamery Toasters again last night. With the exchange rate, they are now over $200 for a set, plus shipping, which is quite reasonable, I think. Maybe I'll try a set. I admit, I like the look of Toasters much more, as well as the sound.
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

blueburst330 wrote:It's not a great video, but I did some comparison between stock hi-gains and a Creamery '63 toaster replacement in the bridge position of my Rickenbacker 360/6 midnight blue. You can see it at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk5T99tQ4IM

Apologize in advance for the intro, but you'll get the gist.
Thanks, that was interesting to see! There are so few comparison videos every one that does one helps the rest of us! :D

Actually I preferred the hi gains on clean, and the creamery toasters on overdriven sounds.

I recently got two of those mini humbuckers from a Tokai 350 copy just to see how they are constructed and sound.
Once I get around to swap them into my "360/3" I should really try to make some videos too.

For fun, a guy put a hi gian on en Epi LP:

'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

aceonbass wrote:The main reason Toasters sound the way they do is that they're wound to 8k ohms. The main reason that current hi gains (which were also originally wound to 8k) sound different is because they're wound to 12k. Have your hi gains unwound to 8k and you'll pretty much have your nice open bright Toaster tone without adding aftermarket pickups which infringe on a RIC trademark.
Well said, Dane.

Best 80s Rickie I ever had soundwise was a 360WB with hot neck and low bridge. Which if you asked me beforehand at the time I would've said was nuts.
I never bonded with my 2000s 340 as it sounded lifeless to me. in all three settings. I always blamed the PUs magnets for that, the holes for the hex poles were messy and big.

I currently have 8 hi-gains at hand due to a little project with my "360" which was converted to "370" by some previous owner in Belgium.

So far I got this:

6.04 '83 middle
6.05 80s neck
6.34 '83 neck
11.33 modern style hex poles bridge
14.37 '83 bridge

didnt measure the other 3 yet but as the "360/3" is wired with a 6 way switch (5 options like Strat really) I might go for the 6k Ohms in all three positions.
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
AndyRay

Post by AndyRay »

iiipopes wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:23 pm If your 330 is a newer guitar with the adjustable pole high-gains, they are superior pickups in that you can shade the tone by the setting of the height of the pole pieces to anything from very, very close to original toasters by raising the screws and lowering the coils, to screwing down the polepieces and getting more mids from the coils being relatively closer to the strings raising the overall pickup height a little bit. I suggest you experiment with everything the new high-gains have to offer before reflexively dropping a chunk of change on pickups that may or may not actually be the tone you desire. Good quality pickups, yes, but why spend the $$$ if you don't have to?
i only came looking for opinions on creamery toasters and found this tip, i have a 2012 360/12 with high-gains and gave this a go, i've ended up with each pickup a few mm lower and pole pieces at varying heights to balance volume, all at least a little closer to the strings.
i have to say this transformed the tone fairly dramatically and really cleaned up the muddiness and brought that jangle out.
cost nothing to try and i'm no longer looking to change out the original high-gains.
awesome tip, worked for me.

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”