Tom Petty tribute band with a fake Ric.

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Tommy
Intermediate Member

Re: Tom Petty tribute band with a fake Ric.

Post by Tommy »

Sérgio wrote: That's the slight difference: a Rick-like model by a legit company isn't the same as a knock off, a fake guitar.
Well, that's all about perspective. From where you are, you see the Hondo bass as an acceptable "Ric-like model." I am sure the top brass at Ric probably saw the Hondo bass as a "a knock off, a fake guitar."
ch willie

Post by ch willie »

Maybe the guy can afford a Ric but likes something about this particular knock off that he prefers to a Ric.You could hardly fault him if that's the case. I would never play a Ric copy, even if it were a great guitar because, I admit, I am loyal to the brand. I wouldn't buy a POS from Rickenbacker, but I trust the brand to give me a great instrument--something I don't always expect from Fender or Gibson as much as I love them and own them.
All the world's a stage, albeit with mountains, plains, oceans, rivers, buildings, towers, animals, humans, plants, and Armour's Spam.
indianation65

Post by indianation65 »

What is supposed to be most important is the "music," not the "gear."

If I hear a tribute band, or "anyone" playing "She's a Woman In Love," my fave Heartbreakers' song, I would not care if the dude playing the melody was using a B.C. Rich B-ch.
It's just gear.

...wisdom
Indian Folklore and Wisdom—Love, Learn, Listen
scott_s
Veteran RRF member

Post by scott_s »

ch willie wrote:Maybe the guy can afford a Ric but likes something about this particular knock off that he prefers to a Ric. You could hardly fault him if that's the case.
Yeah, perhaps Mr Guthrie bought the Chinese copy thinking he might upgrade to a real one later on, but "bonded" to this one instead. I see that it has conventional, rather than Rickenbacker-style, string pairing. Can't tell if the fingerboard is finished, but some folks have strong feelings on that as well. Maybe he also feels more relaxed touring and playing live shows with a $300 guitar rather than a... $3800 guitar. :shock:
AndyM

Post by AndyM »

I'm a Ric bass owner. If it were me working in a tribute band I would strive to own a genuine instrument (for any tribute - Beatles, AC/DC, Bon Jovi...whoever) but I have to say that I believe the majority of audience members wouldn't know the different between a knock-off, copy or something that kinda looks close. Same for the clothing the people are wearing.
It's a special thing when the tributes have every detail down correctly to match the originals but it's just not practical sometimes. Probably it's only us musicians/instrument owners that would even notice the difference. Audiences can be very appreciative of what's presented on stage and that in itself is a wonderful thing.
Wizz

Post by Wizz »

I can relate, I’ve owned and gigged all ends of the spectrum; from a lawsuit copy to genuine modern and vintage Rics and then even a full on fake so I feel like I can draw some parallels to this topic.

I started off with the Jay Turser as my very first electric guitar more than 20 years ago and it provided me with so many great memories that of all the guitars in my collection it’s the one that I don’t think I will ever let go of. You only get one “first guitar”. But like most kids starting out with a copy it was always my dream to move up to the real thing and I did...a couple times!

My absolute favourite guitars to play in my collection are my vintage ones (FG 1959 425, FG 1966 335 and a BG 1972 330-12) they are a plethora of inspiration and I spend hours a week playing them but sometimes the thought of taking both a vintage 6 and 12 string (plus a back up 6 string) to a gig is a little nerve racking thats a huge investment to be worried about all night which is why a few years ago I acquired a fake.

I was going on tour and was really stressing about taking my Ric’s on the road. I play in a Mod-Revival/Punk band that was going to be playing in some serious dives so I got my hands on a fake and lo-and-behold.... it was trash! I did all the things you could possibly do to make it gig worthy and still never really fell in love with it. HOWEVER... it served its purpose and got through the tour. The best part about that guitar was I got to enjoy myself and not panic every time my gear was out of site and even though I knew all of that guitar’s short comings it managed to sound alright and if anyone did notice it was a fake no one thought enough of it to bring it up at any of the shows. Most people probably wouldn’t have given two rips.

If there’s a time in the future post covid that would allow for a band like mine to tour again I think rather than take the fake on the road again I’d try and find myself a rough project 24 fret 330 to be my “on-the-road guitar” but even that will be an investment of both time and money that I understand some just can’t pull off.

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”