650 series...

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

nukebass
Veteran RRF member

650 series...

Post by nukebass »

I think I might be in the market for a 650 in a few months. My yearly bonus should be coming sometime around March and I should be able to divert some funds into a guitar. I don't want to spend too much, since I'm really not that great a player, but I want something decent. I'm kind of torn between getting a 650, probably a D, or a 330, but leaning more towards the 650. Anyway, what is a reasonable price for a used one? Most I have seen lately on ebay go just short of list and if that's typical, a new one will probably be worth pursuing.

I figure I'll look for the D because 1)I like chrome 2)I have a Cii coming so I'll have gold hardware Image 3) I'm not sure if it's worth the extra cash for the color, although I seem to be a sucker for blueburst.

Any opinions are, of course, welcome. As I said, I won't be actively looking for a couple of months so I have plenty of time to be persuaded!
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

I would say between $700 and $750 for a used one.
beatlefreak

Post by beatlefreak »

I love my 650S. I think the combination of the walnut and maple with the gold plated hardware makes for just about the most striking guitar I've ever seen.
Ka is a wheel.
sharkboy

Post by sharkboy »

For me there really is a significant difference in playing a finished, vs unfinished neck, and I too am guilty of the BBR fascination. (I think I bought the first BBR 650C and it is outstanding and flawless.)

All of my elecrics I play have finished fretboards and I like it that way. See if you can get your hands on one to try out. Maybe they'll do a big run of them soon.
"rubber heads don't dent easily"
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

Ryan -- if still looking for a 650...check out Cole's nice re-worked 650C Colorado model in the "For Sale" section. Cole changed the TRC and pickguard to White and installed High Gains.... it is a distinctive model with his modifications. Regards Rich F.
"What we've got is Blind Faith in each other" Steve Winwood, Newsweek July 28 1969

10 4003 FG
06 WB BRG
04 660-12 JG
03 360-12 FG
99 V64 six FG
96 650-A TQ
94 V64-12 JG
81 370-WB JG
73 480 DaphBlue
61 Cons Steel MG
nukebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by nukebass »

Thanks, Richard. I've seen that one, and if I had had the money when he posted it a few months ago in its original condition I probably would have bought it then. It's a cool idea, but I think I'd like the stock better. I'll take another look, though Image

A few 650s have shipped and Musicians' Friend has a D in stock. Now the question is do I pull the trigger or reserve one from a reputable dealer for slightly cheaper and wait for an indeterminate amount of time? Oh the decisions!
eatswodo
Veteran RRF member

Post by eatswodo »

Go ahead! If MF has one in stock, there's really no reason not to. It won't be any different from one you might wait months for from another dealer (and in all my dealings with them, I've found MF to be quite 'reputable'), and I can't imagine the price would be significantly different.
squid

Post by squid »

There's a very nice 650D at Dave's Guitar:

http://davesguitar.com/products.html?13256

Rickenbacker has shipped quite a few 650's of various sorts over the last couple of weeks, including a couple of BBR's and MG's. I have a 650C MG with vibrato on order, and I'm pretty excited about getting it sometime this year. I believe Ben said over on the official forum that he hoped to have the 650C backlog cleared out by the end of February or so. Perhaps there will be more to chose from in the coming weeks?
nukebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by nukebass »

I went ahead and ordered the 650D from Musicians' Friend last night. Hopefully it will ship out on Monday. It'll be my first new Rickenbacker. My 4004 should be here by the end of the year, too... Image
ben_hall
RIC

Post by ben_hall »

I'm pretty sure I looked at that 650 D/S/C backlog and determined to knock it out substantially.

A lot of 650's will be on their merry way out of the RIC factory this month...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for your comments Ben. It is always great to hear from the Factory. It is sure to put a smile on the faces of those waiting for these instruments.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
beatlefreak

Post by beatlefreak »

There is a new 650D showing in inventory at Rhoads Music:
http://members.aol.com/RhoadsMusi/rickguitars.html
Ka is a wheel.
dustymurphy

Post by dustymurphy »

I went to their outlet store in Kansas City once, and they had a blem 4003 bass, and wanted almost list for it. I said something to the employee who was following me around (including making me show and then hand over a credit card to test a guitar in one of their private rooms, and then after about 90 seconds told me "time's up! we've got a lot of people waiting." even though nobody went in there for at least 25 minutes (the rest of the time I was there.) Anyway, I said "That's more than you charge on your website, and there's a ding in this one." and he said "There's a big waiting list. You're paying extra so you don't have to wait four years for them to ship yours out." So that's when I decided to leave. I've never had any problem with their mail-order/website business, but after that I knew that I wouldn't be buying from them in store or buying a Rickenbacker from them.
Thanks!
-Dusty
nukebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by nukebass »

I opened the case up this morning. I got it Wednesday around lunch and left it in the box until just a little bit ago. It's really nice looking and the finish is smooth. It will take me a bit of time to get used to it, though, because it feels different from anything else I have ever owned.
A couple of things: I opened the case and a knob had fallen off and was riding around in the case. The control plate was loose and the screws will get it tighter, but the screws themselves don't tighten down. Is that normal? I also found two scuffed places on the walnut wings. I'm going to read the owners manual to see if there's any way to remove those on the natural finish. I don't think it's worth contacting customer service over just yet, but it is a bit annoying since I will look at those spots every time I pick up the guitar. At least for today Image
ken_j
RRF Consultant

Post by ken_j »

Customer service can tell you what product to use on it and how to apply it. This info may be in your owners manual.
"The best things in life aren't things."

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”