Quality of "R" tailpieces

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

jaybic

Post by jaybic »

My '99 Ford Ranger has 190 K. All I've ever done is regular maintenance and changed the tires. Best vehicle I've ever owned.
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

Hate to say it but this isn't a car thread. My point was that some folks are clueless as to where we sit in the market. The car was just an analogy. With Toyota thinking, one should be playing an Ibanez; nothing wrong with it, fine quality, well selling product but no grounding in classic design.

We're probably closer to something like a Morgan; a long running design that has been appreciated by those that "get it" and are willing to wait it out, rather than grab something at the corner guitar store.

It's a completely different mentality.
bob_the_bass

Post by bob_the_bass »

John ...
I've used the Morgan analogy myself when explaining the "Rickenbacker mentality" - it works well!
Why does it happen? Because it happens - Roll the Bones !!
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

John...don't think much clarification is needed re: getting it or not...most guitar Co's have to work hard to find and keep their market share...seems that as far as Ric's are concerned the market finds them...
Reverb set to stun !!
wints
Veteran RRF member

Post by wints »

I thought it was a QC thread.

Pertinent to any industry where a certain product being made, is, allegedly not up to the required standard.

In this case, the manufacture of instrument hardware.
incubus2432

Post by incubus2432 »

Spot on Wints!
wolfgang

Post by wolfgang »

Quote:
"rather than grab something at the corner guitar store"
like John Lennon did;-)
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

So Andrew and Brian- you've actually seen this piece? Then you're ahead of me as I've had no chance so far to determine if it meets the spec or not, so at least I know I'm not in a position to debate it.

That isn't to say we're perfect, but if my daughter's POS Toyota RAV4 is the standard for comparison, I'm not too concerned.
lyle_from_minneapolis
Advanced Member

Post by lyle_from_minneapolis »

If Zubair were to contact RIC directly from overseas, could he overnight his parts to RIC for an exchange (if it was determined that they actually did need more finishing work)? Or would he need to use his dealer as a go-between?

This is just curiosity on my part, since Zubair has apparently "left the building".
Here is where I hide my music:
http://www.soundclick.com/MarkKaufman
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

Assuming it was purchased through legitimate channels in the U.K., he'd be dealing with Rosetti who are well positioned to be helpful.
incubus2432

Post by incubus2432 »

".....allegedly not up to the required standard."

"So Andrew and Brian- you've actually seen this piece?"

Obviously not. I was merely echoing Wints comment that the the thread was about instrument QC and not about whether RIC is Toyota-like or Morgan-like. I'd, personally, lean more towards Harley-Davidson-like except that H-D had horrible QC issues in the past and Ric has only had a few minor blips (IMO). I'm not a Morgan afficionado though so maybe they are more parallel......what do I know? Image
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

Obviously we're reading different threads.

More words were devoted to new model variations, i.e. 360 with wide neck, policy changes, parts updates, etc., than were directed toward a possible naff tailpiece.
incubus2432

Post by incubus2432 »

OK, then let's go with the thread title then.

I love thread drift BTW. Image
ben_hall
RIC

Post by ben_hall »

The fact that we do not have to devise new models every year and spend millions on advertising and promotions to keep customers interested in our products is quite poor. That we had better innovate and listen to our customers more is obviously what Rickenbacker should do given our massive backlog. Flawless logic...

Too bad the thread had to drift to criticisms and comparisons of the often debated Toyota vs. Rickenbacker business models. When will the matter be settled, once and for all!?
emjayw

Post by emjayw »

When Rickenbacker buys Toyota! (we'll fix 'em)
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me..than a frontal lobotomy!"

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”