Quality of "R" tailpieces

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

holland

Quality of "R" tailpieces

Post by holland »

Hi Guy's

Long time Rick fan & first time poster on the forum.

I have recently taken delivery of three new 360's & am generally quite pleased with them but am also quite shocked at how
truly awful the finish & quality is of the "R" chrome tailpiece is on at least two of the
guitars.

They have not had the inner edges of the tailpiece rubbed & polished properly
prior to plating & generally feel a bit cheap and cheerful. They also have quite sharp edges in places
and are badly chrome plated. The chrome plating is also poor & pitted in certain spots around the
inner edges of the tailpiece & around the R letter.

Has anybody else noticed this? i don't think i'm being particularly anal
about all this as i do own 10 ricks and have always played at least one.

one is not asking for a boutique finish but this to my mind at least smacks of cheap manufacturing & poor quality control.

If it was me working at the Rick factory and about to fit one of these I'd certainly put my hand up and say this is not good enough to fit.

I'd welcome any comments that other members of the forum may have.

Cheers.
ajish4
RRF Moderator

Post by ajish4 »

Hi Zubair and WELCOME!

I've not heard any other complaints similar to yours but perhaps, a phone call to RIC customer service would be a good way to sort out any problems you may be having.

Are these BRAND NEW instruments?

Sounds like you have a great collection!
Pictures please, PICTURES!

WELCOME AGAIN!

Tony
"Freedom of expression is important, but I have learned that people want to know how much you care before they care how much you know."
The only time a bass player gets noticed is when he stops playing.
captsandwich
Intermediate Member

Post by captsandwich »

Wow, quite an introduction. Just a heads up: words like 'shoddy', 'cheap' and 'poor quality' are generally not well received around here. ;)
Also, have you spoken to your dealer about the issues with your guitars?
I have only ever purchased a single Rickenbacker and that was used, but I have absolutely zero issues with any of the hardware. Same goes for any of the local 'for sale' guitars that I have played & reviewed for this forum. Mind you, none of them were new either.
Lemme graze into your veldt/ lemme stomple your albino/lemme nibble on your buds/ I'm your Love Rhino
holland

Post by holland »

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your kind words, i appreciate it. I will indeed take some pics as soon as can get a chance it's a bit difficult at the moment with 3 year old twins!

They are indeed brand new instruments bought them from Peter Cook's Guitar World & officially imported through Rossetti the official UK importer.

The Blueboy is the best out of the Three. The Amber fireglow terrible & the blueburst is the worst one.

I have been contemplating giving Rick a call but due to the exchange policy this would mean that the guitars will be out of commission for god knows how long??

I'm going to be putting a couple of Accents on two of them shortly so i'm not overly stressed about it at the moment & the main point of my posting was to find out if anybody else had similar concerns regarding the quality.

P.s. when i was picking up the Blueburst i looked at two other 360's and they were as bad as my one.
holland

Post by holland »

Hi Greg,
I appreciate the Heads up however i do feel you've got to "tell it like it is" how else can you open up these topics for honest discussion?

We all love our Ricks Greg, but we must be able to express our thoughts & feelings about them.

No good treating these things with kid gloves, we all pay our money & should expect a certain Quality. I personally feel that the quality of this particular bit of hardware is much worst then it used to be.
bob_the_bass

Post by bob_the_bass »

Get on to Ric Customer Service ASAP - they WILL sort you out

Bob
Why does it happen? Because it happens - Roll the Bones !!
ajish4
RRF Moderator

Post by ajish4 »

Zubair,

Sounds like you should be in good shape. Nice choice of colors!

My experience with RIC is that if everything is on the up and up, they will bend over backwards to make things right. Give 'em a chance to make things right.

I'm waiting on a Blueburst 4004Cii and a 4003AFG myself. The funny thing is, I didn't like the Blueburst when it first came out, but it grew on me to the point I just had to get one! Image

I think you will find that most of us here on this forum are REAL diehard fans of RIC and we can be very protective of same.

I'm guilty of that myself BUT, I've learned THE HARD WAY that sometimes when we discuss these things, we can also hurt the company we love so much in the process. There are many people who visit this site and SOMETIMES, the only blurb they read is a negative one. They then leave the forum with a negative impression of both the forum and RIC. I for one would rather contact John Hall or Kenny in customer service and keep such matters in a private & personal way.

Again, welcome to the forum, I hope you become a long time member and share some of those beautiful colors with us!

I almost forgot, TWINS?!?!?!!? You are a better man than I! Image
"Freedom of expression is important, but I have learned that people want to know how much you care before they care how much you know."
The only time a bass player gets noticed is when he stops playing.
robbo63

Post by robbo63 »

My 2 cents on "where seldom is heard a discouraging word"... On the flip side, people can be turned off by a forum where any nay-saying is quickly shut down. That's fanboy-ism, and applies to anything that people may be enthusiastic about.

An honest discussion of problems one has with their Rick (as opposed to simply deriding the company or product), including a discussion about whether or not quality control has slipped (or improved), doesn't hurt IMO.

I've seen enough posts on the RIC corporate forum about spontaneously breaking tailpieces, pickup windings that break, twisted necks, etc, to realize that while Rickenbackers are very nice instruments, they aren't 100% perfect 100% of the time. If someone wishes to discuss a problem with their instrument, I don't agree with saying "sssshh!" to them or "you must be wrong, mine never had any problems!"

I hope I'm not too strong with the above, it may come across as such. I welcome you, Zubair, and hope to see your stable of Ricks when you can take a photo. Hope you get the tailpiece issue resolved to your satisfaction.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Ah, if everything was perfect...

OTOH, inflammatory words like "shoddy", especially in a topic heading, do have the tendency to raise member's ire or to divide instead of uniting.

That having been said, welcome Zubair, and may your stay here be a pleasant and fruitful one!
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
bitzerguy
RRF Consultant

Post by bitzerguy »

Welcome Zubair,

620/6 here with no problems with the 'R'. My other Rics all have trapezes.

...Dean
...Dean
Never, ever drool on your surf shirt. It wrecks the solo.

660/12FG, 350V63/6FG, 620/6JG, 360WB/6DBG, Dingwall C1 #001, Prestige Heritage Elite FM
johneek
Advanced Member

Post by johneek »

Zubair,

Let me add my warm welcome to those above. To echo what some others have mentioned, I think most of the members of this forum are justly proud of the civility that generally characterizes it. Of course, none of us is perfect (just like RICs) and there are plenty of examples of really good folks having their emotions get the best of them.

On the other hand, some of my favorite threads have been focused on a subject where members debate a topic and perhaps even disagree, but they do so in a way that is mutually respectful and reflects a genuine affection for one another. As a result, these threads are always characterized by a careful choice of words (which Paul also mentions above).

All that said, I agree that the best approach is to call Customer Service. And if you are going to be putting Accents on two of your guitars, then perhaps it would be a good idea to install them right away, keep the best of the three tailpieces and send the other two back to RIC. That way they can help address your concerns and none of the guitars is ever out of commission at all! Best wishes, and good luck!

And don't forget the pics...
simer4001
Veteran RRF member

Post by simer4001 »

I'm proud of you Paul. You showed remarkable restraint. Image
LET THE WORLD KNOW YOU WANT PAUL TO BRING BACK THE 4001. JOIN OUR FACEBOOK GROUP!! http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=147641915268984
holland

Post by holland »

Thank you guy's one & all,

You've all made me feel incredibly welcome & it's a really great feeling for me to finally join the ladies & gentlemen of the forum. I concur with you all re our passionate love affair with these classic looking guitars & thank you Robby for your support re being able discuss issues that matter.

I've been a Rick fan since about 1979 when i saw Paul Weller with his Roy Lichtenstein inspired "wham" guitar, a short time after this i discovered the Beatles and it was all over for me then i had to have one. But in those days i think there was no UK importer & it was difficult to find one so it was a few years before i managed to locate one.

Anyway back to the Topic in hand, a very good friend of mine has a few Ricks from the 1970's & 1980's we have been able to do a few comparisons between the old and new hardware our conclusion is that the older "R" tailpieces are definitely of a better shall we say "fit & finish" then the latest batch & it seems that they were "cast" from a cleaner casting.

That's it guys nothing more to add to it then that, if anybody has just got a new guitar please have a look & see what you think or maybe it's just me??

I completely agree with Robert re some other forums & this was one of the reasons that i did not post my comments elsewhere, i don't think we should waste our time blowing smoke up people's rear ends, as that doesn't achieve anything at all If we have a genuine issue to discuss & it remains civil & constructive, why should the thread be shut down?

Another classic old Rick chestnut that keeps cropping up time & again is the one about some Rick players wanting a 330/360-12 string body, combined with the width of a 660 neck, i say why not? it's a great idea it's win win for everyone. The shape of the guitar remains the classic 330/360-12 silhouette & it instantly becomes so much easier to play. For what it's worth i know a lot of musicians who really want to own & play the 330/360-12 but are turned off by the narrow string spacing. I've got very girly fingers and i can play my twelve string's quite well, but i find my 660 much easier to play. However in my opinion it's not as good looking as the 330/360's. But who knows maybe one day when the back orders at the factory are clear we may get some innovation & finally a new model from Rick.

I will get some pictures of my "ladies" up soon i promise you (this is beginning to sound like some bizarre form of guitar erotica me thinks hah!)

Tony re the colours, like you i too hated the blueburst when i first saw it but it has slowly grown on me & i now think it's one of the best colours in the range (i think I'm just a bit slow)

And in retrospect i think "shoddy" probably is a bit of a strong word to use maybe i should have left it as "poor finish"

P.s. I managed to lay my hands on a brand new gold truss rod cover & pick guards to go on the 360 autumn fireglow along with the toaster's / vintage knobs / klusens etc and was wondering what to do with the tailpece, Trapeze or accent ? what do you guy's suggest ? or dare i leave the best one of the chrome "R"'s

Peace, over and out.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

A hearty welcome, Zubair! Owning 10 Ricks, what took you so long to show up here?! Image

I am with Zubair and Robert on this - we should be able to bring up and discuss any warts right along with all the wonderous attributes of Ricks without raising anyone's ire or animosity. Some Ricks have problems and we should be able to accept that and discuss it civilly - we continually pat ourselves on the back over how great this place is, lets live up to that.

That said, customer service is your recourse on this.

Pictures of the whole family also - let the twins strum a couple Ricks too!
mgrendel2

Post by mgrendel2 »

I agree with John A. When we lose our freedom of speech, we lose everything!!!!!!!! ;-)
none

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”