Cavity Markings

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

k43rover
Intermediate Member

Cavity Markings

Post by k43rover »

Looking back through previous posts on the forum, I see quite a few threads about the hand written markings in the body cavities. As far as I can tell from previous discussion there is, and has never been, any discernible rhyme or reason to what was written in there by Rickenbacker production workers i.e. it seems to be an eclectic mix of employee names/initials, actual or feasible production model numbers based on the body/neck spec, colour abbreviations, apparantly random doodling etc etc!!

I opened up a 1987 300 series guitar recently (pictured) - I was half expecting to see some sort of model number inside but nothing just what I guess are names etc.

I was wondering if any forum members have recollections of present or retired Rickenbacker production staff commenting here or elsewhere on what they wrote inside the guitars (either through personal preference or required factory protocol) and how this may have changed over the years. For example, based on the '60's 300 series guitars I've owned, without exception they all had some sort of model number inside (even if the final built guitar was to a different spec eg 370 inside but built as a 360).
Attachments
cavity 1.JPG
cavity 2.JPG
cavity 3.JPG
Grey
Advanced Member

Re: Cavity Markings

Post by Grey »

On the opposite end of the spectrum, my Rick has absolutely no writing in any of the cavaties what-so-ever. Not even a designation for the finish. The only thing it has is some writing in pencil in the truss rod cavity, which I can't read because it appears to be under the finish.
k43rover
Intermediate Member

Post by k43rover »

That's interesting Erik, what year of manufacture is it?
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

tnelson

Post by tnelson »

some people pay more for 50's and 60's Fenders if they have factory worker Tadeo Gomez signature, wondering if any Rickenbacker workers names make a Rick more valuable
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Maria.
scotty

Post by scotty »

I found this in my first old 330 i had from the 90s Also inside were 3 spears,2 jugs :wink: and a broken chariot :mrgreen:
Attachments
cave_painting_horse.jpg
Fretjob

Post by Fretjob »

scotty wrote:I found this in my first old 330 i had from the 90s Also inside were 3 spears,2 jugs :wink: and a broken chariot :mrgreen:
I believed you up until the chariot part. :D
collin

Post by collin »

scotty wrote:I found this in my first old 330 i had from the 90s Also inside were 3 spears,2 jugs :wink: and a broken chariot :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol:

Well played, sir.
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

tnelson wrote:some people pay more for 50's and 60's Fenders if they have factory worker Tadeo Gomez signature, wondering if any Rickenbacker workers names make a Rick more valuable
Trudy. If you're checking out a mid-'60s Rick and "Trudy" is written in the cavity, you can't go wrong.
k43rover
Intermediate Member

Post by k43rover »

:lol: ...I had no idea of these possiblities...and now I'm feeling short changed!! Time to get the screwdriver out for another look around - I might have missed something!
Last edited by k43rover on Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
k43rover
Intermediate Member

Post by k43rover »

tnelson wrote:some people pay more for 50's and 60's Fenders if they have factory worker Tadeo Gomez signature, wondering if any Rickenbacker workers names make a Rick more valuable
very interesting..I had never heard of this before...more info about Tadeo's life here:

http://home.provide.net/~cfh/tad.html
k43rover
Intermediate Member

Post by k43rover »

libratune wrote:
Trudy. If you're checking out a mid-'60s Rick and "Trudy" is written in the cavity, you can't go wrong.

..darn it, just opened up Byrdy and all I found was Jill.....
Attachments
cavity 1.JPG
cavity 2.JPG
tnelson

Post by tnelson »

it would be interesting to have some faces behind the signatures,
guess I should just be happy owning the guitars, I like the geeky tech details junk :oops:
k43rover
Intermediate Member

Post by k43rover »

tnelson wrote:it would be interesting to have some faces behind the signatures,
guess I should just be happy owning the guitars, I like the geeky tech details junk :oops:

...you're right Tim, it would be great to have more detailed info and stories from folks who worked in the factory back in the '60's. Unfortunately, after so much time has elapsed, I just don't think there are contributors to the forum these days who have this history to hand...

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”