Vox Amps Big vs. Small

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Folkie
Advanced Member

Vox Amps Big vs. Small

Post by Folkie »

I auditioned a Vox AC15 today at our local Guitar Center. It sounded great with my 1991 330/12, much better than I'd expected, even though I didn't have my Janglebox with me. None of our local stores seem to have any AC30's in stock, so I have a few questions. What are the specific differences between the AC15 and AC30? Is there a substantial difference in tone, volume, headroom, versatility?

The AC15 is probably much closer to my price range, but I don't want to cut corners on tone. If the AC30's are substantially better and will be a better investment, that's the way I'll go.

My current rig is a solid state Fender Princeton Chorus, and I've been happy with it. But the AC15 has much more brightness and sparkle, and from what I've heard here, I can only imagine how much better the AC30 might sound. But keep in mind that I'm not currently a gigging musician.

So I'm up in the air on this one. Any suggestions will be welcome.

Robert
Last edited by Folkie on Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Vox Amps Big vs. Small

Post by jps »

Folkie wrote:None of our local stores seem to have any AC30's in stock

Robert
I'm surprised, usually SA has one on display.

You should come over and check out my "new" 1962 Fender Concert Amp. :D
Bring your JB with you.
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Folkie wrote:First, what are the specific differences between the AC15 and AC30?
The AC15 consists essentially of the Top Boost channel of the AC30, plus the clean channel. It has tremolo and reverb controls which can be utilized in either via a foot switch. The Top Boost acts as the overdrive channel. By adjusting the volume and gain settings, you can get either real nice twang and chime, or some pretty gritty overdrive. The Normal Channel has headroom for days. The AC15 also weighs half as much as the AC30, and coincidentally costs about half as much.
Folkie wrote:Is there a substantial difference in tone, volume, headroom, versatility?
Not much difference, really. Oh, the AC30 might sound louder. But really, how many 1,000 seat auditoriums are you going to play?
Folkie wrote: Does the AC30 have a line out?
No. And neither does the AC15
Folkie wrote: And, finally, what is the price difference on new and used models?
Can't help you here.
Folkie wrote: The AC15 is probably much closer to my price range, but I don't want to cut corners on tone. If the AC30's are substantially better and will be a better investment, that's the way I'll go.
My impression of the AC30 is that it has one more of everything the AC15 has, including housing 2 speakers. But as far as tone goes? It's a Vox
Folkie wrote: My current rig is a solid state Fender Princeton Chorus, and I've been happy with it. But the AC15 has much more brightness and sparkle, and from what I've heard here, I can only imagine how much better the AC30 might sound. But keep in mind that I'm not currently a gigging musician.

So I'm up in the air on this one. Any suggestions will be welcome.

Robert
I think you'd be very happy with the AC15. I am.
JimK
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

Thanks, Jeff! The manager at Sam Ash tells me they haven't seen an AC30 in many a moon. He told me they'll call me if one comes in.:lol: I would love to see that '62 Fender Concert amp. I'll send you a PM.

Robert
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

JimK,

Thanks so much for the prompt answers to my deluge of questions. I was a little disappointed that the clean channel on the AC15 had only two adjustment parameters (not enough versatility for me). I found I was using the Top Boost channel almost exclusively and that I had the treble knob cranked almost all the way. I was able to get a whole range of tones from the Top Boost, from trebly jangle to grungy overdrive. Also, the AC15 is a very loud amp. On the Top Boost channel I think I only had the Master Volume maybe a third of the way up. And the fact that the AC15 weighs less is big plus for me.

I have to wonder why more quality amps don't have a line out. I've gotten poor results whenever I've tried to mike my amps for recording.

I really appreciate your feedback. My sense is that, if the AC15 has enough volume and headroom for your purposes as a gigging musician, it will work fine for me.

Robert
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Most line outs on guitar amps do not sound like the amp does through it's speaker, which is why a lot of them have some sort of "speaker emulation" filter to try and make the line out sound more pleasant and correct to the ear. What we need to find out is why you are not happy with your mic'd tone when recording.
BuddyDog
Intermediate Member

Post by BuddyDog »

I don't think you can use a line out on a tube amp as it need a speaker load of some sort, or they go "poof" in a cloud of smoke and fried transformers
2009 360/6 Fire-Glo 2009 360/12C63 FG 1975 4001 White/BT
Chords mangled, no waiting!
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

My Music Man RD 110-Fifty has a line out. I tried using that for recording. And I didn't like it at all, at all. And yeah, I have to wonder what's going on with not liking the mic set-up on your amp when you record. Maybe it's the mic....maybe something else?
JimK
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

JimK and Jeff,

The last time I recorded, I used a Shure SM57 on my amp and spent a long time positioning the mic. I tried it against the grille, off axis, at various angles and distances, and still I found I wasn't getting the sound that I wanted. I've never tried running a line out from the amp into my recorder, and I guess I was under the impression that I'd get something closer to the sound of the amp by doing so. Based on what you've said, that's probably not the case. I guess one remaining option would be to record direct from my Janglebox. Or maybe a different amp would sound better with a dynamic microphone. Any insights?

Robert
jdawe

Post by jdawe »

Robert -- while some may see this as heretical,you may also want to consider recording directly to a computer with amp modeling software. The quality of the software has improved a lot in recent years, and while a real sound engineer in a real studio may still get better results miking a real amp, for home recording it works awfully well.
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

Thanks for the advice, Jonathan. I don't have a Mac, so Garageband would be out of the question, but there are several other options that would be compatible with my PC. What recording software do you use?
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Since you still live in a PC world, try Steinberg Cubase, it seems to be a favorite among those I know who haven't seen the light, yet. :roll: :mrgreen:
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

jps wrote:Since you still live in a PC world, try Steinberg Cubase, it seems to be a favorite among those I know who haven't seen the light, yet. :roll: :mrgreen:
Unfortunately, for those that have seen the light, GarageBand doesn't work on Linux either...
:twisted: :lol:

Or... maybe it does...
http://acurrie.wordpress.com/2009/08/17 ... ly-better/
:shock: 8)

I guess I'll have to check it out. The price is certainly right...
http://lmms.sourceforge.net/home.php
8) 8) 8)

Hmm, they say it even works on Windows, for those who haven't seen the light!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

Jeff,

I've got some news for you: I have seen the light! :twisted:

Robert
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Robert check out the Vox Tonelab ST for recording direct. It is simply fantastic. I would also suggest that you check out the Vox AC30VR. Another great innovation from Vox.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”