New Rickenbacker Colours in the UK

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

redamber

New Rickenbacker Colours in the UK

Post by redamber »

The following is a copy of my recent post on the UK Rickenbacker Chapter Forum, prompted by the news that some new Ric colours will be made available in the UK during early 2012. I would welcome any wider views and comments on these issues:

Dear oh Dear.... First Walnutburst, then Pearl White and now (post NAMM) Ruby - and all within the space of about two months!

What on earth is the Ric Corporation's marketing strategy? I know that there is a backlog in the Ric factory production cycle, but at a time when the world is in recession and high-end guitars are dropping in value day by day (and both dealers and collectors are off-loading stock at heavily discounted prices), surely what is needed now is some real innovation, rather than just producing the same standard products painted in different colours. Just look at the crazy asking prices for new Ric stock on eBay and read the forums about stock being transferred between dealers and some non-approved retailers - the warning signs are there for all to see.

For example, as a Ric collector, recently I was able to complete my collection of Ric 650s - comprising a 650A Atlantis, 650C Colorado, 650D Dakota, 650E Excalibur and 650S Sierra. Four of these five guitars are no longer in production. I already have two of the one 650 model which is still available - the 650C Colorado (one in Mapleglo and one in Fireglo) - so why on earth would I want to add another one in Ruby, which is not even a limited Colour of the Year (COY)? Just as significantly, I confess that I covet my collection of 650s far more than some of the product which is now coming on to the market - so what is the incentive for me to buy new Ric guitars?

I urge John & Ben Hall to rethink where the Rickenbacker brand is going. I do not suggest that Rickenbacker goes the same way as Fender and Gibson with multiple world-wide manufacturing plants, budget brand names, Custom Shops and a confusing and constantly changing product range which is totally bewildering to the average buyer (but great fun for the anoraks out there). However, there must surely be some way of producing innovative designs which are faithful to the legacy of the Rickenbacker name, but also represent real advances in the way forward. Let me put this another way: one could surmise that the Ric Corporation has been 'dining out' on the association with the Beatles, the Byrds, the Who (Townshend), the Bangles (Hoffs) etc for the last thirty or forty years. But there is a whole new generation growing up (my son is one) who know little or nothing about these bands - so where will Rickenbacker be in the memory and conscience of the music world in another twenty years time .... and what impact will this have on the brand?

OK - enough from me. Contrary to what you might think, I am, and will always remain, a totally committed Ric enthusiast and collector.

This post may simply be the ramblings of a sad old man. On the other hand, it may be the most important thing which I ever contribute to the RRF - that is for others to decide. All I ask is that there is at least some debate about this important issue. After all, we in the Forum are the customers and the marketing manuals state that the customers are always right!
Santa visits only once a year, but Santa Ana delivers Rics all year round.
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: New Rickenbacker Colours in the UK

Post by jps »

There sure seems to be a whole lot of newer, younger generation bands wielding Rickenbackers these days. I don't think RIC has anything to worry about. 8)
godber
Advanced Member

Post by godber »

My question is - why post your query here James? Your question is addressed to RIC, JH and BH, send it there why not? It's easy to predict the answer - factory working at capacity, selling everything they make and making a few quid thank you very much - where is the crisis? I think that Ben is even having a little fun with it.

I have to be honest and say that these threads concerning corporate matters are just so boring and quickly turn onto some sort of excuse to put the boot in about some grievance or other. I come here on the RRF to find out about the guitars, every detail, the finishes, how to fix them, how people have made them better/or worse, who plays them and why you love (or hate them) - not to talk about corporate strategies and branding and all of that ****.

Not trolling you, just not my kind of debate. Enjoy your Ricks sir and let you son have a go too, my kids love them.

Mark
Hotzenplotz
Intermediate Member

Post by Hotzenplotz »

I think the opening lines were not meant in a negative way - vice versa!

Somebody cares for a brand he loves. Of course he could post that to RIC, too. Buy why not talk from customer to customer about things, we have payed for, too? And why not talk about the producing company? - As long as it is in a fair and honest way? Every brand forum does this!
To read the communication between customers could be interesting for the company, too, BTW. Market research for free!

I can understand redambers questions(!!!). Some I share in mind.

I do not say RIC is going wrong, I can not see the "long distance direction" where they want to go to. Maybe my fault.

"...but I'm not the only one..." :wink:
BuddyDog
Intermediate Member

Post by BuddyDog »

Well, there have been innovations. The 4004 basses, the 660's, 480's and the 650's. All a departure from the traditional Ric 4001/4003, and 300's series.

RIC seems to be doing quite well; production at capacity, quality control, debt free, no offshore manufacturing headaches. The switch in the finishes to UV cured seems to have shortened the production cycle and it seems there are a lot more guitars available than there were 3-6 years ago.

I think the guitars they are making are great. I can't afford a vintage guitar, but the Ric's I have give me joy. Look at Gibson who I think makes basically 3 styles of electric guitars, Les Pauls (including the SG's, Melody Maker, etc), Firebirds, Explorer, flying V's (solid bodies) and ES series (semi hollow) . They change pick-ups or finishes and make a new version of the same guitar. Makes for a lot of choices, but seems to me they are just making factory models with modifications owners used to make to their stock guitars.

What innovations are truly good ones? Robot tuners, on-board synthesizing ala Variax? How about slanted frets? Should they bring back the converter comb or lightshow?

Not trying to bust chops or start an argument here, just thinking out loud.
2009 360/6 Fire-Glo 2009 360/12C63 FG 1975 4001 White/BT
Chords mangled, no waiting!
Badanovski

Post by Badanovski »

I'm a bass player & haven't paid much attention to the guitars but... I agree with Steve that there has been a lot of innovation in the bass line. It just seems like the only thing a majority of players want is the 4003. There have been improvements to the 4000 series but I can see Rickenbacker has to step lightly. Even I who bitched about the bridges in the 70's now find I really like the look of them. I look at the 4004 & think that's the bridge I wanted in the 70's but I miss the look of the 4003 bridge. LOL If you can't please everybody you might as well have fun with the company.
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

redamber wrote:However, there must surely be some way of producing innovative designs which are faithful to the legacy of the Rickenbacker name, but also represent real advances in the way forward.
Man, you must be in need of some good warm hugs, judging by that line! :D

A new body design would be just another design, not an advance imo - everything in guitar building has been tried already, some going so far the end result is almost not a guitar anymore.

I hope I didn't bring you down even more now :wink:
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
badeggs
Intermediate Member

Post by badeggs »

I urge John & Ben Hall to rethink where the Rickenbacker brand is going.
Considering their sales I don't think they're worried about where the brand is going. And what else are they going to do, anyway? Where are they going to go for "innovation" - self-tuning machine heads? Carbon-fiber fretboards? LEDs embedded in the necks? Please...you want 500 different options for your order then Carvin is the one to check out.

And how innovative are any of the other brands, really? Fender "relic" guitars, the 10th iteration of the Gibson Firebird, Gretch reissuing a Duo-Jet or Chet Atkins or whatever...

All the established brands have their look and their basic product line set, because they've been at it for decades and their customers want what they produce. Rick still turns out the weird one-offs, at least a couple a year, and they still do their year-by-year subtle changes to the models. And bringing back Ruby is pretty cool, if you ask me - a new formula to the metallic finishes, changes to the varnish they use, even little things like lefty models now with "backwards" inlays.

They are innovating...in their own way. But they are what they are, and you don't mess with a good thing.
scotty

Post by scotty »

This post is not directed at the OP i actually tip my hat to him for his orginal post and his honesty in posting it.
New Rickenbacker Colours in the UK yeah you wait for a bus for ages and three come along at the same time.I dont believe its anyone's business to judge anyone elses business unless they are in that business themselves and have a comprehensive awareness on how that business runs.Im not in the guitar business so why the hell should i tell someone how to do what they have been doing successfully for years? With threads like that on the RRF and other things im finding it increasingly harder to enjoy this forum anymore.Sadly i think a lot more people are holding their tongues on the RRF these days.i know that there are many members probably reading this and wanted to say something then thought ah forget it.I know a quite a few UK members that are not really fussed about the new colors and thats fine at the end of the day its another option and how the hell can that be a negative?
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

Just seems that whatever RIC does to try to please people or do something different or refrain from doing something different to get down the backorder, some aren't going to see the bright side of situation.
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
fireglo67

Post by fireglo67 »

As far as I can see it's business as usual.
Orders far exceeding production, happy days.

You don't have to do too much research to see that Rickenbacker have consistently over the years offered 'one offs' or small runs of guitars that are different in some way to the regular production models.
They usually end up being offered exclusively to the US or Japanese markets, so I think that it's brilliant that the UK are getting something new this time around.
scotty

Post by scotty »

Yeah id agree with the Robster just because im not going to buy any new guitars as i have my own reasons doesnt mean i wouldnt consider one of these in a few years.Its as i say not a negative.I think the majority of UK Rickenbacker enthusiasts arent looking to be pleased or placated.I know loads of young guys in their early 20 in groups that love Rickenbackers and the brand.I for one dont want to be pleased on a new model i couldnt care less for a new model id say and i will stick my neck on the line here by saying.I honestly think the majority of the UK mostly only want a 330/360/4003 anyway.I am genuinely interested how many 650C Colorados will sell in the UK in Ruby.
redamber

Post by redamber »

OK Guys - I started this, so I guess I ought to respond. First up, I apologise if my post offended anyone. In truth, it was written late at night when I was not in great form and the tone was probably more strident than I intended. Secondly, I accept the fact that there might be better places to discuss this topic - though I'm not sure where.

The replies so far show an interesting range of diverse views - and I guess this proves that no-one (including me) is more right or wrong than anyone else. With regard to innovation, I fully accept that, in addition to the iconic designs, superb build quality, playability and sheer 'mojo', one of Rickenbacker's great strengths is the stability and longevity of the core product models. I also accept that product development should be more of an evolutionary than revolutionary process, but I guess I was just hoping for news of some new or resurrected Rickenbacker 6/12 string model, perhaps using different timbers or pick-ups or switching configurations - rather than just changes in the colour of the paint.

I am very grateful to those Forum members who defended my right to speak my mind candidly and honestly - I hope others feel able to do the same, as I think the RRF is all the better for it. Finally, in case anyone thought my views were depressingly negative, please be assured that I have lost none of my enthusiasm for this great company (I guess that should be corporation in the US) and its products. There are still many Ric models which I covet and would aspire to own some day - and, yes, if that Ruby 650C Colorado came along, I probably would find it impossible to say no (despite what I said).
Santa visits only once a year, but Santa Ana delivers Rics all year round.
TheFountainHead

Post by TheFountainHead »

Why is everyone walking on eggshells and making excuses. Ric hasn't done anything new in ages. This is a fact. The current line-up is great - and always has been great - but there's nothing new. For better or for worst.

The backlog explanation for the constantly delayed "colour of the year" has been touted for years now. "Backlog", or permanent production model? I love the brand and my current collection, but the only thing that excites me in the ric world is the custom work luthiers are doing and the 700C that Paul is building me. And this is very exciting. :mrgreen:
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

TheFountainHead wrote:Ric hasn't done anything new in ages. This is a fact.

Even a rabble-rouser like me has to comment that this is wrong. :|

2-piece necks
adjustable hi gains
4004l, C, Cii
650's
one-offs
Ruby resurrection
"vintage" bass tailpiece and horseshoe resurrections
C********* series with its crazy accurate details

Define "ages," perhaps?

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”