Rickenbacker 12 vs Gibson ES-335 12

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Re: Rickenbacker 12 vs Gibson ES-335 12

Post by iiipopes »

sloop_john_b wrote:Image
Strawberry Alarm Clock, as in "I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night," and "Incense and Peppermints."
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

This weekend I played my Bullet Strat/Warmoth XII

and I liked it.
collin

Post by collin »

iiipopes wrote:[quote="sloop_john_b"
Strawberry Alarm Clock, as in "I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night," and "Incense and Peppermints."[/quote]

IHTMTDLN was by the Electric Prunes.
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

collin wrote:IHTMTDLN was by the Electric Prunes.
Oops...[note to self...do not try to recall psychedelia details before completing first cup of coffee in the morning :oops:]
collin

Post by collin »

iiipopes wrote:
collin wrote:IHTMTDLN was by the Electric Prunes.
Oops...[note to self...do not try to recall psychedelia details before completing first cup of coffee in the morning :oops:]

:lol: :lol:

I think remembering any bands from the psychedelic era is a particularly remarkable achievement, especially you lived through that era! :D
eljayski

Post by eljayski »

i added a 330/12 to my collection then subtracted it. my electric 12-string: Image
330/12 fg
360/6 fg
381/6 fg
4003 mg
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

iiipopes wrote:
sloop_john_b wrote:Image
Strawberry Alarm Clock, as in "I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night," and "Incense and Peppermints."
These were built for SAC by Semie Mosely. There was also a 6 string and I believe a bass, too. I remember all three for sale back in 2004 or 2005, and the price wasn't too bad considering their historical provenance.

I own the SAC ELKA Pro Duo organ (top of the Elka line for '67) played by Mark Weitz. At least it was affordable... :lol: :lol: :lol:
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

There is a photo of the bass in a book I have.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

jps wrote:There is a photo of the bass in a book I have.
The bass is half-pictured in Paul's pic. I wonder if the pic you have is posted on the internet, putting it into the public domain. :twisted:
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

johnallg wrote:I wonder if the pic you have is posted on the internet, putting it into the public domain. :twisted:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Chrome Aardvark

Post by Chrome Aardvark »

Folkie wrote:Collin,

I don't doubt that the Gibson ES-335 12-string you played sounded "darker" than a Rick 12. But the difference in tone probably has more to do with body woods and pickups than it does with the fact that the Gibson is strung "traditional-style." In fact, having those high octaves struck first on downstrokes creates a treblier sound, one you can hear on the intro to R.E.M.'s "So. Central Rain" and the overdubs to "Talk About the Passion," (both played by Peter Buck on Mitch Easter's "traditionally-strung" Fender XII.) The bottom line is that the Gibson can't even approach the jangle and shimmer we associate with Rick 12's, and that's where we agree. :)

Robert
I own both and the Gibson is definitely "darker" sounding or more "baroque" in tone. To give the Gibson a brighter sound I've swapped out the nylon saddles and put in graphite saddles. It's brighter, but it's still not a Rick. Then again, Buffalo Springfield wouldn't have their distinct sound if Richie Furay had played a Rick.
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

It doesn't surprise me that you had to mod your ES-335 12-string in order to make it sound more like a Ric. Let's keep in mind that there are radical differences in body woods and pickups between an ES-335 12 and, say, a stock Ric 360/12. ES-335's have traditionally been used by jazz players because of their darker tone, and Rics, as we all know, have been prized for their trebly chorus and shimmer. I was just trying to point out that the "traditional" string arrangement on the Gibson is not the "hidden secret" in the sound difference between these two radically disparate instruments.
Chrome Aardvark

The nylon saddles dull everything down and don't let the guitar ring out as should, so it was more about improving tone and resonance than sounding like a Rick. Another difference is that the ES-335 12 is monstrously in comparison to a Rick. Subtle they ain't. They do play well though.
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

You know, Rod, there's one in a glass case at a small guitar shop that's near where I live. I may ask them if I can play it, just for purposes of comparison.
Chrome Aardvark

Definitely check it out. They're a very different beast, but enjoyable in their own way.

Also, the important word I left out of this sentence has now been added in bold: "Another difference is that the ES-335 12 is monstrously loud in comparison to a Rick. Humbuckers VS single coils, centre blocks VS x bracing, a lot of differences sound wise.

My love for this guitar started with Richie Furay, sometimes he gets buried behind Stills and Young, but he does add some cool things to the mix too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbXKEjIApac

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K6BmZ_Mxcg

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”