Show Us Your Amplifier/s!

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

raider
Veteran RRF member

Re: Show Us Your Amplifier/s!

Post by raider »

Don't have a Rickenbacker yet first I have to find a job.
I do have an amp a Top Hat (King Royale) 8)
Attachments
TopHatHead-3.jpg
Top Hat King Royale
Top Hat King Royale
Kopfjaeger
Advanced Member

Post by Kopfjaeger »

My "go to rig" An Orange TB500 matted to a Glasstone LilG. Pure magic!
mini rig of doom.jpg
Light weight, can carry both in at the same time while carrying a bass in a hardcase!! 500 watts of power coming through two 12' speakers, one down firing.

My heavy rig. An Orange AD200b Mk3 with Orange 4x10 cab.
Aug 2013.jpg
Sepp
Vintage/Classic Rickenbacker Enthusiast!
1972 4001 Jetglo
1973 4001 Burgundyglo
2011 4003 Jetglo
1986 4003 Shadow
David Watts

Post by David Watts »

I've got a big heavy amp (a 1990 Vox AC30) , a less big and light weight amp (1972 Fender Princeton Reverb), and a little amp (Vox DA5 for the house).
Just depends on the place i'm playing in.
Anyway i feel that my Rics sound good on every amp i play.

And when i can manage to bring no amp at all, I Just play on what"s there.
Recently in studio for a session i've played on this nice VOX AC15HW, a very very nice amp indeed !
Ashgray
Intermediate Member

Post by Ashgray »

Kopfjaeger wrote:My "go to rig" An Orange TB500 matted to a Glasstone LilG. Pure magic!
mini rig of doom.jpg
Light weight, can carry both in at the same time while carrying a bass in a hardcase!! 500 watts of power coming through two 12' speakers, one down firing.

My heavy rig. An Orange AD200b Mk3 with Orange 4x10 cab.
Aug 2013.jpg
Sepp
Great shots Sepp - seeing them reminds me just how cool those Blackstars and Shadows look! I need one of those models (or one of each! :) ) and a 4004 to complete my collection. One day.....

Nice to see the "new" old 4002 on the wall with the others too!

Ash
1976 4001 "Shadow" Fretless
1978 4002 Walnut
1986 4008 Silver
1999 4001 V63 White
2012 4004 Jetglo

Button 6 String Fretfull
Button 6 String Fretless
NS CR5 Omni Bass Fretless
Ashbory Bass
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

I play my Rics less often than Gibson stuff, but I generally use my AC30 with them, or the amp I made myself.

Greg
Attachments
IMG_0752.JPG
simon custom.jpg
RIC guitars.jpg
David Watts

Post by David Watts »

Greg, you're in your blue period like Pablo Picasso ? :)
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

David Watts wrote:Greg, you're in your blue period like Pablo Picasso ? :)
BuddyDog
Intermediate Member

Post by BuddyDog »

Mostly this one...
Vox AC-30 HW2X

Otherwise I use this one at home...
Yamaha THR-10C

Which is pretty amazing for a small box.
2009 360/6 Fire-Glo 2009 360/12C63 FG 1975 4001 White/BT
Chords mangled, no waiting!
360girl

Post by 360girl »

Tommy wrote:My old (from 1990) Fender Princeton Chorus --- SOLID STATE!

Yup, who need those glowing lightbulbs in an amp. My solid state Princeton Chorus is thee best amp for my Rics. Far better than my Roland Jazz Chorus and VOX AC30. The Princeton is bright as heck, trebly, crystal clear, and full and lush (two speakers in this amp).

Go ahead. Laugh at the red knobs. Doesn't bother me. I love this amp. And so do my Rickenbackers.

Actually Princeton Choruses are pretty decent amps IMO. Once you have them set up correctly, they do great sounding cleans, and nice sounding distortion. The other guitar player in a band I was in, briefly used a Princeton Chorus. The only reason he got rid of it, was because it was a bit under powered volume-wise for rehearsals (we had a loud playing drummer, and we didn't mic up the amps for rehearsals - we only had a vocals PA, and rented the services of a soundman and his gear, for gigs). I'm not a tube snob anymore. In my almost 35 years of guitar playing, I've tried out, and played out with tube and solid state amps - with good, and some pretty bad sounding examples of both types. Heck, my present amp, is one of those "evil" Peavey Bandits, that I've had for the past two years:

Teal Stripe, Early 90s Solo Series (very early Transtube) Peavey Bandit 112 w/my Mapleglo 360
360girl

Post by 360girl »

BuddyDog wrote:
<Snip!>

Yamaha THR-10C

I've been contemplating getting a THR10. How are the clean and overdriven sounds when used with your 360 (I also have a 360 with Hi-Gains). It would be nice for me to have an amp I can put on the kitchen table, so I can plug in and play, while surfing the net after I get home from work.
BuddyDog
Intermediate Member

Post by BuddyDog »

360girl wrote:
BuddyDog wrote:
<Snip!>

Yamaha THR-10C

I've been contemplating getting a THR10. How are the clean and overdriven sounds when used with your 360 (I also have a 360 with Hi-Gains). It would be nice for me to have an amp I can put on the kitchen table, so I can plug in and play, while surfing the net after I get home from work.
IMHO, for a low volume practice and noodling amp, the thing absolutely kills. It is really nice to be able to get the sound of an overdriven amp without ear shattering volume. It just has a fullness of tone that you don't get from a small amp or a big amp when they are turned down. Perfect bedroom amp and you can plug in an iPod, CD player and jam along. You should give one a try, I think the cleans and overdriven sounds are really good.

It also can be used as a recording interface into a PC.
2009 360/6 Fire-Glo 2009 360/12C63 FG 1975 4001 White/BT
Chords mangled, no waiting!
360girl

Post by 360girl »

BuddyDog wrote:
360girl wrote:
BuddyDog wrote:
<Snip!>

Yamaha THR-10C

I've been contemplating getting a THR10. How are the clean and overdriven sounds when used with your 360 (I also have a 360, but with Hi-Gains). It would be nice for me to have an amp I can put on the kitchen table, so I can plug in and play, while surfing the net after I get home from work.
IMHO, for a low volume practice and noodling amp, the thing absolutely kills. It is really nice to be able to get the sound of an overdriven amp without ear shattering volume. It just has a fullness of tone that you don't get from a small amp or a big amp when they are turned down. Perfect bedroom amp and you can plug in an iPod, CD player and jam along. You should give one a try, I think the cleans and overdriven sounds are really good.

It also can be used as a recording interface into a PC.
Thanks for the info. :)
fabandgear

Post by fabandgear »

'68 Rick Transonic 220, '71Fender Super Reverb and '11 Vox AC30VR.
Attachments
1982 4001 Mapleglo.jpg
FenderSuperReverb.jpg
GeoHCollection.jpg
"When I kill, its on direct orders from Her Majesty's government." -007
bvstudios

Post by bvstudios »

My fave...
Attachments
roland-jazz-chorus-series-jc-77-362911.jpg
Kopfjaeger
Advanced Member

Post by Kopfjaeger »

Ashgray wrote:Great shots Sepp - seeing them reminds me just how cool those Blackstars and Shadows look! I need one of those models (or one of each! :) ) and a 4004 to complete my collection. One day.....

Nice to see the "new" old 4002 on the wall with the others too!

Ash
Thanks Ash! I tell my wife they are like hammers, one does a specific function well. You can't build a house with a tack hammer, right?? Hell, I almost got myself believing that line!! :lol: All my Rickenbacker basses are 16 ounce framing hammers!! :D Some with more attitude than others!!

I recently sold my Modulus Q5 since I really never used it. I find myself missing it since it was such a joy to play with it's killer B string. I just did not have the room or the time to play it as much as I should have.

The Shadow is my favorite Jetglo bass! I like it much better than the Blackstar. The Blackstar is very cool for what it is but the Shadow runs circles around the Blackstar in just about every department.

Sepp
Vintage/Classic Rickenbacker Enthusiast!
1972 4001 Jetglo
1973 4001 Burgundyglo
2011 4003 Jetglo
1986 4003 Shadow

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”