Show Us Your Amplifier/s!

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Grey
Advanced Member

Re: Show Us Your Amplifier/s!

Post by Grey »

Here is my Orange AD30 and 2x12 Cabinet, loaded with some very tasty Celestion Vintage 30's.

I use the first channel for a sparkly clean sound that has a very vox-ish quality to it and lots of headroom, and the second channel for crunchy overdriven naughtiness.
2480AD30.PNG
Danotron
Intermediate Member

Post by Danotron »

Well, I do have this little guy that Collin and I used as a centerpiece for a photo shoot a few years back; but I have to admit "Big T", as amazing as it sounds, is a bit hard to lug around :)

These days I'm mostly playing through a Mesa Nomad 100 and am looking very seriously at a TransAtlantic 30.
Attachments
Ric OS Group Outside r1.jpg
collin

Post by collin »

Danotron wrote:I have to admit "Big T", as amazing as it sounds, is a bit hard to lug around :)
Well I volunteer to take it off your hands and lug it to my house - problem solved! :P :lol:

Grey wrote:
collin wrote:Only photo I have on-hand right now..
You may only have one picture but damn it's a good one.
Thank you!
Lefty4001

Post by Lefty4001 »

Here's what I have for noodling at home. An SWR Baby Blue II combo (2x8" plus a 5" horn) from 1995 plus an Ashdown VS112 (8 Ohm) extension cabinet. The BBII is not very powerful, putting out just 150-160 watts, but this Ashdown cabinet matches nicely with a 200 watt rating. They were made to go with the Ashdown Little ******* mini tube amps, so the BBII drives it pretty well. After I added it, I could hear alot more articulation on the low end.

The SWR has a 12ax7 tube, but is difficult to overdrive, especially for some of the music that I like to play. So I recently added an MXR M89 Bass Overdrive pedal. This pedal has separate controls for your clean and overdrive, along with volume and tone.

Now, the basses sound different. I haven't figured out a setting I like for the 4003S using the overdrive, yet. I think it's because the pickups are both about the same output. It sounds good soloing one or the other, but too dense together. I'll admit that I haven't sat down to really figure it out yet because I play that bass mostly w/o effects. The difference between those PUPs is much more subtle than the 4001 ('74), which has the cap. Those PUPs are distinctive. Tone and volume on full and go.
Attachments
minirig.jpg
'turn up the bass'
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Lefty4001 wrote:Here's what I have for noodling at home. An SWR Baby Blue II combo (2x8" plus a 5" horn) from 1995
I used to own a BB II, nice amp but once I got my Markbass Minimark I sold it on as the Minimark ate up the SWR. :shock: 8) Smaller, way lighter, louder, deeper............ :D
Jeff_PS-800-25.jpg
Jeff-800-49.jpg
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

Tommy wrote:My old (from 1990) Fender Princeton Chorus --- SOLID STATE!

Yup, who need those glowing lightbulbs in an amp. My solid state Princeton Chorus is thee best amp for my Rics. Far better than my Roland Jazz Chorus and VOX AC30. The Princeton is bright as heck, trebly, crystal clear, and full and lush (two speakers in this amp).

Go ahead. Laugh at the red knobs. Doesn't bother me. I love this amp. And so do my Rickenbackers.

+ 1!!!

My 1997 Fender Princeton Chorus amp may not be a status symbol to own, but I agree with Tommy that it sounds great with Rickenbacker guitars (in my case, 12-strings). I alternate between the Fender and a Vox AC15C1, modded with an Alnico Blue speaker.

My 1991 330/12, played through a JangleBox JB2, and into the Fender, really nails those early Roger McGuinn tones. And my 360/12c63, plugged directly into the Top Boost input of my Vox, gets some sterling George Harrison sounds. I just got a new iPhone, so I'll send some pictures soon!
teb
Advanced Member

Post by teb »

For the twelves, I use two Vox Super Mini Reverbs. They're simple little 15 watt solid state Pathfinder heads (Volume, Gain, Treble, Bass, Tremolo and Reverb) with closed-back cabinets and Celestion speakers. The neck and bridge pickups run to a JangleBox and then to the SMR with four 8" speakers. The middle pickup runs alone to the other amp with two 10" speakers, and may have a chorus pedal or other gizmo in the line. They're bright, very clean, and when desired, loud as hell. I keep thinking I should get something more impressive to use, but then when I crank them up there is obviously no need to.

Basses run through either a Traynor YBA 200 tube head and their matching cabinet with a fifteen, two tens and a tweeter, or through an old Acoustic 140 solid state head from the 1970s with a cabinet I built based on the old double-baffled B-15N cabinets that has a JBL E-140 in it. For recording, I run all guitars and basses through the YBA 200 head and into the board because it has such great tone controls.
Attachments
smrs-003a.jpg
Traynor.jpg
cab2a.jpg
Rubsoul

Post by Rubsoul »

Hey Jeff, I think our amps are cousins from 1962... maybe separated at birth. :D

The 62ers
Image Image

AC15 with one of the Ricky's

8mileshigher

Show Us Your Amplifier/s!

Post by 8mileshigher »

collin wrote:
Danotron wrote:I have to admit "Big T", as amazing as it sounds, is a bit hard to lug around :)
Well, I volunteer to take it off your hands and lug it to my house - problem solved! :P :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
frickengruvin

Post by frickengruvin »

Sorry I don't have any pictures to post, but I generally use the same amps for my RM1997 and my V64-12. I'm very blessed to have a few to choose from, but try to give them equal time.....

'66 Vox AC15
'61 Fender Deluxe (Brown face)
Tungsten Mosaic (Tweed 5F1 clone)
Roccaforte custom 18 (Marshall clone)
Rivera TBR 1m
Rickenbacker B16a combo

On the front end I always utilize a Fulltone TTE, Fulltone OCD v-1 and a homemade treble boost. This arrangement seems to get me anywhere I want to go tonally...
jch
Intermediate Member

Post by jch »

1977 Music Man 210HD 130

Great amp ,but its too heavy for my back !

jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Rubsoul wrote:Hey Jeff, I think our amps are cousins from 1962... maybe separated at birth. :D

The 62ers
Image Image
8) 8) 8) I love the Vibremolo® on them.
Tommy
Intermediate Member

Post by Tommy »

Folkie wrote:+ 1!!!

My 1997 Fender Princeton Chorus amp may not be a status symbol to own, but I agree with Tommy that it sounds great with Rickenbacker guitars.
Shhh, don't tell anyone.

Fender Princeton Chorus and Rickenbacker guitar is the music world's best kept secret. Yeah, everyone goes out and buys a Vox for their Ric. But only we few, we happy few, know the magnificent joy of a Rickenbacker played through a Fender Princeton Chorus.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

1973 AC30 TB rewired to `60s spec, with an upgraded birch ply cabinet in fawn tolex:
Pair of Rick 381s - MINE.jpg
2007 Anniversary cream tolex AC30 with pentode mode option and F86 channel:
Ruby 360 12 C 63 photo taken by Dave Carey compressed.jpg
And a couple of Fender Twins; 1963 Brownface, and a `65 Anniversary Blackface Twin RI in Blonde tolex. I rarely use the brownface; I've rfound the sweep of the tone pots disappointing; never been able to get the bottom end I've wanted out of the amp, despite having it restored to spec, and numerous amp techs tell me the circuit is proper/correct/perfect, whatever, and the presence knob remains a mystery to me even after 20 years of owning the amp. The only effective tone control appears to be the volume knob, but the volume the amp sounds sweet at is the volume everyone always says is too loud. :(
I guess I just prefer the Blackface circuit:
Nov 84 AZ Blue 365 WB.jpg
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."
zinzin

Post by zinzin »

teb wrote:For the twelves, I use two Vox Super Mini Reverbs. They're simple little 15 watt solid state Pathfinder heads (Volume, Gain, Treble, Bass, Tremolo and Reverb) with closed-back cabinets and Celestion speakers. The neck and bridge pickups run to a JangleBox and then to the SMR with four 8" speakers. The middle pickup runs alone to the other amp with two 10" speakers, and may have a chorus pedal or other gizmo in the line. They're bright, very clean, and when desired, loud as hell. I keep thinking I should get something more impressive to use, but then when I crank them up there is obviously no need to.

Basses run through either a Traynor YBA 200 tube head and their matching cabinet with a fifteen, two tens and a tweeter, or through an old Acoustic 140 solid state head from the 1970s with a cabinet I built based on the old double-baffled B-15N cabinets that has a JBL E-140 in it. For recording, I run all guitars and basses through the YBA 200 head and into the board because it has such great tone controls.
i got the pathfinder ministack on the right, too - sounds very cool. but nowadays i usually play through my orange tiny terror (for modern rock) or through a vox ac15 (for vintage rock).
Attachments
IMG_0075.jpg
THE SHEA DEBUT SINGLE OUT NOW
http://theshea.bandcamp.com/

EP "THE FABULOUS EXPLODING LOVERS"
https://tfel.bandcamp.com/

"LIQUID GAS" PSYCHADELIA
http://liquidgas.bandcamp.com/album/the-sky

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”