Yardbirds Lead Singer Electrocuted in 1976

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

idealassets

Yardbirds Lead Singer Electrocuted in 1976

Post by idealassets »

Wow, I just read that the lead singer of the Yardbirds died in 1976 from being electrocuted in his basement, when his guitar was not grounded. Really? I have been playing away and never realized this before.

1. Could it happen today?
2. What do you do to prevent it?
3. How about if you have an amp and and effects pedals plugged in, then to a DI box wired into a building PA system with XLR cables outlets through wall outlets in the building?

Here is the quote from an article that was on Facebook:

"On May 14, 1976, the lead singer Keith Relf died in his basement at age 33 while being electrocuted by his guitar which was not grounded properly. He was posthumously inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame with The Yardbirds in 1992."

Thank you,
Craig
2007 Guild F412 Blond
2011 Rickenbacker 360/12 Maple
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Re: Yardbirds Lead Singer Electrocuted in 1976

Post by jdogric12 »

1 Yes
2 Don't stand in a puddle
3 Let us know! :lol:
idealassets

Post by idealassets »

Well, ya I knew all that. So then this guy actually died of just plain stupidity then?
2007 Guild F412 Blond
2011 Rickenbacker 360/12 Maple
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

It's not due to stupidity. Improper grounding will send line voltage to the frame of a guitar, amplifier, microphone, anything. The most common fault in the USA is either putting a non-polarized plug in backwards (it has happened to me) or the socket with the hot and neutral wired backwards. That will send line voltage to the frames and be an electrocution hazard.

I keep a plug in polarity checker in my gig box at all times. It's not a perfect solution, as it doesn't show when the neutral and 3rd wire ground are wired together, but it is better than nothing.
farace

Post by farace »

They used to laugh at me when I carried a fault tester and/or a VOM to gigs. Until a guitarist/singer got zapped in the mouth. I tested and found 110 volts between his guitar and the mic. The problem was a misfired house, common with older homes.

You can get a small tester, usually yellow plastic with three LEDs, for about five dollars that will tell you if the hot and neutral are swapped (among other things).

And never, ever, use a three-prong to two-prong adapter, unless it's the type that will allow you to ground it (usually through the cover mount screw).
--Bob

2015 4003 FG
1992 4003FL FG
1983 4003 WAL

Gone (stolen) but not forgotten, 1978 4001 WHT
xpitt
Intermediate Member

Post by xpitt »

In 1966 when all the electric madness started my brother and I turned old Radios into amplifiers to get a sound of rock'n'roll and played in the basement where the heating was installed. I am very lucky that I didn't got electrocuted those days. Once I hit one of these metal heating pipes with the strings of the guitar and it made a big bang, fuses blew and the strings melted. Sometimes it doesn't even need a puddle....We never did that again :shock:
Badanovski

Post by Badanovski »

Electricity can be interesting. When I was 16 I was jamming on a wooden porch barefoot. It was all good until I jumped on to the grass for effect. I wasn't happy with the effect. :mrgreen:
Ric5150

Post by Ric5150 »

If you're dealing with all 3-prong power plugs, its not nearly as much of an issue/threat. You then need a wiring error/problem in either the power socket or your gear.

If you're dealing with vintage gear that still has 2-prong plugs, you have to get them oriented right, as Scott said, or you can get a good jolt. Personally, I just test my setup by touching the instrument cable plug with the back of my hand, but don't do that yourselves, I'm a trained expert. :) I also test 9V batteries with my tongue, so I'm clearly not a role model.
Life is suffering; the cause of suffering is desire. Envy is a deadly sin. Save your soul, go ahead and buy another one....
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

farace wrote:They used to laugh at me when I carried a fault tester and/or a VOM to gigs. Until a guitarist/singer got zapped in the mouth. I tested and found 110 volts between his guitar and the mic. The problem was a misfired house, common with older homes.

You can get a small tester, usually yellow plastic with three LEDs, for about five dollars that will tell you if the hot and neutral are swapped (among other things).

And never, ever, use a three-prong to two-prong adapter, unless it's the type that will allow you to ground it (usually through the cover mount screw).
Yes, the yellow $5 tester is the one I have. I call it my "$5 life insurance policy." There is only one exception to the 3-to-2 adaptor: when you have an in-line accessory that will cause a ground loop and hum.

I used to have a rack tuner with a 3-prong plug installed on the front end of my amplifier head. I had incessant hum when using it. I finally tried a 3-to-2 adaptor to lift the ground only on the tuner, and the hum went away. I used it in the same manner as a ground lift on an XLR plug. So the ground was still there through the respective shield leads going through to the amplifier to its third prong, providing the proper ground, making sure the adaptor retains the same polarity.
fran4001
Intermediate Member

Post by fran4001 »

Gary Thain, original Uriah Heep bassist died similarly, though on stage at a gig. What a horrible situation. Our band takes grounding very seriously indeed. I'm forever maintaining our stuff.
Apr. '73 4001JG, Jun. '73 4001MG, Feb. '75 4001 WBT, Feb. '00 4001CS
RicukStu

Post by RicukStu »

fran4001 wrote:Gary Thain, original Uriah Heep bassist died similarly, though on stage at a gig. What a horrible situation. Our band takes grounding very seriously indeed. I'm forever maintaining our stuff.
He died of complications from a heroin overdose over a year after the electric shock. Don't know where you got that info from.
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

RicukStu wrote:
fran4001 wrote:Gary Thain, original Uriah Heep bassist died similarly, though on stage at a gig. What a horrible situation. Our band takes grounding very seriously indeed. I'm forever maintaining our stuff.
He died of complications from a heroin overdose over a year after the electric shock. Don't know where you got that info from.
That's what I'd heard about his death, I thought he was a very gifted bassist, Uriah Heep Live has a lot of his magic on it...
clementc3

Post by clementc3 »

For the Uriah Heep fans who were not aware of the story (OK, that might be only me), here is a link to a pretty entertaining firsthand account of Gary Thain's on-stage electrocution:

http://www.theday.com/article/20110419/ ... /110419576

Other sources seem positive that the band was playing "July Morning" at the time, though.
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

Wow, what a story! I can relate to this from several perspectives.
1) Huge Uriah Heep/Thain fan at the time it occurred.
2) I remember Malt Duck, and imbibed a bit of it too.
3)I'm a Baylor alum, although back then I was still in high school in West Houston, playing "Sweet Lorraine" (along with lots of Zeppelin, Deep Purple, and Humble Pie)in my high school garage band, before thousands of adoring, nubile groupies(that's my memory of it, and I'm sticking to it!)
4)I've seen concerts at Moody before, saw Yes there in '77...
Thanks for the link, and the trip down memery lane! I hadn't thought of "Malt Duck" in decades!
Made me think of another malt beverage popular at the time, called "The Little Kings"... :P
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

It's weird, you know...I'm old enough (born in 1970s) to have had to deal with microphones shocking me and being cautious of that - but it hasn't happened to me in years, in a club or otherwise. Is it because everything has a three prong plug now?

I used to think it was because I was using Vox/Thomas Organ amps. It seemed like no matter which way they were plugged in, it was the wrong way and you had to flip the polarity switch...

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”