The "I Got The 360/12 Tailpiece Restringin' Blues"

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Re: The "I Got The 360/12 Tailpiece Restringin' Blues"

Postby (PeterJ) » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:25 pm

+1 on the capo for R tailpieces and Bigsby vibratos. This still means use of a cloth or cardboard to engineer the ball end into the slot on the R tailpiece on my 330/12.

I seldom use the capo for anything except restringing.

PJ
(PeterJ)
New member
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:02 pm

Re: The "I Got The 360/12 Tailpiece Restringin' Blues"

Postby (squirebass) » Sun May 01, 2016 5:46 pm

Just wondering if anyone has used that Winfield tailpiece? I was considering it for my 660/12 due to the two strings being right together in the same slot sometimes makes it difficult to work with them.
User avatar
(squirebass)
Veteran RRF member
 
Posts: 1506
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2000 12:05 am
Location: U.S.A

Re: The "I Got The 360/12 Tailpiece Restringin' Blues"

Postby (Tele295) » Wed May 18, 2016 3:55 pm

squirebass wrote:Just wondering if anyone has used that Winfield tailpiece? I was considering it for my 660/12 due to the two strings being right together in the same slot sometimes makes it difficult to work with them.


I haven't yet, but I am considering it
If I'm not with you
I'm not so much of a man
I'm like a fish on the sand
User avatar
(Tele295)
New member
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:23 pm
Location: Rincon Beach, California, USA

Re: The "I Got The 360/12 Tailpiece Restringin' Blues"

Postby (J_B_Sessoms) » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:08 pm

Tele295 wrote:
squirebass wrote:Just wondering if anyone has used that Winfield tailpiece? I was considering it for my 660/12 due to the two strings being right together in the same slot sometimes makes it difficult to work with them.


I haven't yet, but I am considering it


Anyone ever consider going the other way? Replacing a Trapeze Tailpiece with an R-Tailpiece.

I've been looking at a 660/12 the last few days (Don't need it, can't afford it, don't want it ... gotta have it), but I like the R-Tailpiece on my other Ric twelve-strings. Is there a way to install the R-Tailpiece in the place of a Trapeze without having to drill any new holes?
John Sessoms
'66 Rickenbacker 330/12
'81 Rickenbacker 360/12 WB
'01 Rickenbacker 360/12 Carl Wilson #476
'12 Rickenbacker 370/12
(J_B_Sessoms)
New member
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:30 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: The "I Got The 360/12 Tailpiece Restringin' Blues"

Postby (collin) » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:17 pm

J_B_Sessoms wrote:
Tele295 wrote:
squirebass wrote:Just wondering if anyone has used that Winfield tailpiece? I was considering it for my 660/12 due to the two strings being right together in the same slot sometimes makes it difficult to work with them.


I haven't yet, but I am considering it


Anyone ever consider going the other way? Replacing a Trapeze Tailpiece with an R-Tailpiece.

I've been looking at a 660/12 the last few days (Don't need it, can't afford it, don't want it ... gotta have it), but I like the R-Tailpiece on my other Ric twelve-strings. Is there a way to install the R-Tailpiece in the place of a Trapeze without having to drill any new holes?


Winfield Vintage might already make a bracket for that, or could make one for you. The R tailpiece bracket is cast metal though, not cut stainless steel sheet, so it might not work that way.

But honestly - that large strap button bolt does most of the job of holding that bracket in place and the string tension. The tiny mounting screws aren't entirely necessary, I've mounted more than a couple 12-strings with just the strap button (screwed tightly in place).
User avatar
(collin)
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6434
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:28 pm
Location: Corona, CA, USA

Re: The "I Got The 360/12 Tailpiece Restringin' Blues"

Postby (jdogric12) » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:48 am

You want this, then?
http://www.winfieldvintage.com/images/t ... e/0107.jpg

I might have one in my parts drawer, I've used it and Winfield's parts are great.
(jdogric12)
Rick-a-holic
 
Posts: 10140
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:00 am

Re: The "I Got The 360/12 Tailpiece Restringin' Blues"

Postby (12_strings) » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:46 pm

The R tailpiece on my 370/12 exploded last year. I replaced it with the Winfield trapeze and never looked back. I did order a replacement R tailpiece from Pick of the Ricks to stick in the case compartment. As far as strings, POTR's custom flatwound Tomastik Infeld 12 string set (10-44) have worked out very well. Great sound, easy to play and they last forever. The only downside is that they are expensive. I should have sent the string bill to Rickenbacker after the R blew up and ruined the set I had on.
User avatar
(12_strings)
New member
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:46 am
Location: Pennsylvania,

Re: The "I Got The 360/12 Tailpiece Restringin' Blues"

Postby (paologregorio) » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:48 am

collin wrote:What a bunch of whiners...

The problem is a lack of skill, not the tailpiece. :lol: :lol: :lol:


:lol: :lol: :lol:

What Collin said.

Kidding aside, bend the string upward like Colling said; a 90 degree bend helps hold the string in the channel, and yes, use a capo to hold the string taught once its in the slot. the rag under the slots is a good ideal also, but I just do the bend and the capo.

The 90 degree bend is also handy for restrinng a Rick with an Accent VB, or any guitar with a Bisgby.
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."
User avatar
(paologregorio)
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6342
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:56 pm
Location: Long Beach, CA, United States of America

Previous

Return to Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests