NAMM Rumors

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

squirebass
Veteran RRF member

NAMM Rumors

Post by squirebass »

I'm getting email updates from Reverb for "NAMM Rumor Roundup" on my phone, and so far the makers rumored to have something new to announce are Reverend, Yamaha and PRS. Yet the only company I'm REALLY interested in hearing about is Rickenbacker. IMHO last year was pretty blockbuster with the reintroduction of the 4003S and the 1993 Plus, but I wonder what, if anything will be revealed this time around? What about you, what are your thoughts, wishes and desires for a new Rickenbacker offering, maybe a Star Wars tribute 360/12 with either Ky Lo Ren or JarJar Binks painted on the body of the guitar ('Ah, meeso Jingle-Jangly!!!")? What will be coming out of NAMM this year, from Rickenbacker and other makers? What SHOULD be coming out?
LenMinNJ
Intermediate Member

Re: NAMM Rumors

Post by LenMinNJ »

They should finally release the 350v59 (aka 350 Mike Campbell) that was shown quietly a year or two ago. Gold plastic and two pickups: a toaster at the neck and an HB-1 at the bridge; wide/flat neck profile; "R" tailpiece; thick body.

Right, Drew?
Last edited by LenMinNJ on Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I have only been to one NAMM Show but based on that what should be really coming is a much lower noise level ceiling! :shock:

As to a new Rickenbacker model, since this is their 85th Anniversary year, how about a modern version of the Frying Pan?! :D
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

LenMinNJ wrote:They should finally release the 350v59 (aka 350 Mike Campbell) that was shown quietly a year or two ago. Gold plastic and two pickups, wide/flat neck profile.

Right, Drew?
Len have you got any pics of this? I wasn't even aware of it.... Does Mike Campbell own one or did he have one made for him?
I love the little 325s that Lennon and others played, but they are just too small for me to play,
LenMinNJ
Intermediate Member

Post by LenMinNJ »

Here ya go, Gene.

Here's a photo of the prototype RIckenbacker showed at NAMM 2013 and one of Mike playing his at a Dirty Knobs gig.
Attachments
New-NAMM-2013-350MC.jpg
mike campbell's live 350.jpg
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

Wow, very cool with the Gold Guards, and is that a HB in the bridge position?

I am assuming that is Jetglo, but it almost looks like that Cherry finish from the 75 anny, either finish would be very nice, and fit comfortably into my music room! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
LenMinNJ
Intermediate Member

Post by LenMinNJ »

Yup, that's an HB-1 in the bridge position. It's Jetglo.
Captain Bob

Post by Captain Bob »

I recall seeing that Mike Campbell variant about 20 yrs. ago. Yeah, its been around that long.
1964 4001S Fireglo
j.alderton

Post by j.alderton »

I agree. I remember seeing him play it on "Mary Jane's Last Dance" during a concert in '95 or '96. Really cool guitar!
LenMinNJ
Intermediate Member

Post by LenMinNJ »

Well, I reckon it's time for Rickenbacker to issue it as a limited edition, or special edition, or one-off, or whatever.

Gotta leave Mike Campbell's name off of it, because he went with Duesenberg for his signature model.
stuart

Post by stuart »

He also did a Fender Broadcaster: http://www2.fender.com/experience/fende ... oadcaster/

I'd love to see the 350v89.

Mike didn't use that guitar on the 2014 tour. I wonder if it was at the RIC factory? ;)
redamber

Post by redamber »

Being from the far side of the pond, I have absolutely no inside information on this, but my personal expectations re NAMM 2016 are:

1. Following the release of the 1993 Plus at NAMM last year, the Rickenbacker Corporation is unlikely to release any substantive new models this year, though there might be some colour variations.
2. With due respect, much as you might appreciate his work, Mike Campbell is not a high-enough profile musician to warrant his own Limited Edition model
3. With the release of the 330F (UK), the 330S Tobaccoglo (US) and then the 1993 Plus (worldwide), I fear there is a danger that the 'f-hole' will become too commonplace, and thus devalued, in the product range

Other than that, I would love to see the release of a further batch of the 325C58 MG re-issues (good used examples have become outrageously over-priced) ............... and, finally, the correct English spelling is 'rumour'!
Santa visits only once a year, but Santa Ana delivers Rics all year round.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

stuart wrote:He also did a Fender Broadcaster: http://www2.fender.com/experience/fende ... oadcaster/

Mike didn't use that guitar on the 2014 tour. I wonder if it was at the RIC factory? ;)
I played it there in 2013. 8)
simer4001
Veteran RRF member

Post by simer4001 »

stuart wrote:He also did a Fender Broadcaster: http://www2.fender.com/experience/fende ... oadcaster/

This is based on his Broadcaster but the label is Nocaster.
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

redamber wrote:Being from the far side of the pond, I have absolutely no inside information on this, but my personal expectations re NAMM 2016 are:

1. Following the release of the 1993 Plus at NAMM last year, the Rickenbacker Corporation is unlikely to release any substantive new models this year, though there might be some colour variations.
2. With due respect, much as you might appreciate his work, Mike Campbell is not a high-enough profile musician to warrant his own Limited Edition model
3. With the release of the 330F (UK), the 330S Tobaccoglo (US) and then the 1993 Plus (worldwide), I fear there is a danger that the 'f-hole' will become too commonplace, and thus devalued, in the product range

Other than that, I would love to see the release of a further batch of the 325C58 MG re-issues (good used examples have become outrageously over-priced) ............... and, finally, the correct English spelling is 'rumour'!
Regarding the spelling of Rumor, the English spelling of it may be Rumour on that side of the pond, but here in the States, we spell it without the additional vowel. Thus, Rumor, just as we spell colour as color. If you Brits wouldn't restrict the export of vowels, perhaps we could afford to spell these words the way that you do! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”