NAMM Rumors

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

xpitt
Intermediate Member

Re: NAMM Rumors

Post by xpitt »

redamber wrote: 3. With the release of the 330F (UK), the 330S Tobaccoglo (US) and then the 1993 Plus (worldwide), I fear there is a danger that the 'f-hole' will become too commonplace, and thus devalued, in the product range...
Good point, James!
Maybe they release the 1993 Plus in a two pup version. And I quite didn't understand why they didn't take the chance to release the walnut series (330 + 360) with the wider neck, so it's just another version of all the standard models.
Captain Bob

Post by Captain Bob »

squirebass wrote:
redamber wrote:Being from the far side of the pond, I have absolutely no inside information on this, but my personal expectations re NAMM 2016 are:

1. Following the release of the 1993 Plus at NAMM last year, the Rickenbacker Corporation is unlikely to release any substantive new models this year, though there might be some colour variations.
2. With due respect, much as you might appreciate his work, Mike Campbell is not a high-enough profile musician to warrant his own Limited Edition model
3. With the release of the 330F (UK), the 330S Tobaccoglo (US) and then the 1993 Plus (worldwide), I fear there is a danger that the 'f-hole' will become too commonplace, and thus devalued, in the product range

Other than that, I would love to see the release of a further batch of the 325C58 MG re-issues (good used examples have become outrageously over-priced) ............... and, finally, the correct English spelling is 'rumour'!
Regarding the spelling of Rumor, the English spelling of it may be Rumour on that side of the pond, but here in the States, we spell it without the additional vowel. Thus, Rumor, just as we spell colour as color. If you Brits wouldn't restrict the export of vowels, perhaps we could afford to spell these words the way that you do! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

What would Graham Parker say? :lol:
1964 4001S Fireglo
stuart

Post by stuart »

redamber wrote:2. With due respect, much as you might appreciate his work, Mike Campbell is not a high-enough profile musician to warrant his own Limited Edition model!
That is patently false. Ask RIC themselves. If the timing had been better, I think it would have happened. Mike had a deal with Duesenberg Guitars at the time - likely containing an exclusivity clause. It could have been for 10 years. Mike now has the Fender Broadcaster tribute coming out. FENDER! "Not a high enough profile?"

Laughable.
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

squirebass wrote:Regarding the spelling of Rumor, the English spelling of it may be Rumour on that side of the pond, but here in the States, we spell it without the additional vowel. Thus, Rumor, just as we spell colour as color. If you Brits wouldn't restrict the export of vowels, perhaps we could afford to spell these words the way that you do! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Actually, British English was freely exported before the Revolutionary War, and even afterwards, with the most famous export being the set of lead printing plates of the Bible that were actually passed through the naval blockade that was part of the War of 1812 to the Philadelphia Bible Society, and are the basis of all "King James" editions of the Bible in this country. (The fact that the edition is not the "original" authorized version of 1611, but is, in fact, the 1769 Cambridge revised edition somehow seems to escape the "purists" and "thumpers.")

It was Ben Franklin that changed everything about American spellings. He even proposed an entirely alternate alphabet, but it never took off; the legacy is in the common words like those listed above, that lost double vowels and changed consonants.

Yes, I know - the above quoted post is tongue-in-cheek. But at the risk of someone taking it seriously, here are the links. The first is the transcript of Franklin's actual letter, and the second is the explanation of his proposed system, later championed by Noah Webster, although never universally adopted, as set forth in the third link:

http://grammar.about.com/od/readingsonl ... anklin.htm
http://www.omniglot.com/writing/franklin.htm
http://grammar.about.com/od/words/a/Noa ... elling.htm
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

Interesting stuff, Scott!
I have heard that Ben Franklin never possessed a Rickenbacker guitar or bass. If he had, he might've put together his own band instead of creating an alternative language! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
redamber

Post by redamber »

My observations about Mike Campbell's profile were written purely from a UK/European point of view and are nothing other than a subjective personal opinion. The Rickenbacker Corporation may well have considered issuing a LE Mike Campbell model, though perhaps his close association with Tom Petty and his 'signature' Ric made this less likely - you would need to ask JH or BH!

And, yes, my comments about the correct spelling of 'rumour' were written firmly tongue-in-cheek. Some people may have misunderstood my sense of humour (Commonwealth English) or, if you prefer, humor (American English).
Santa visits only once a year, but Santa Ana delivers Rics all year round.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

How about tumour? :mrgreen:
Ric5150

Post by Ric5150 »

redamber wrote:My observations about Mike Campbell's profile were written purely from a UK/European point of view and are nothing other than a subjective personal opinion. The Rickenbacker Corporation may well have considered issuing a LE Mike Campbell model, though perhaps his close association with Tom Petty and his 'signature' Ric made this less likely - you would need to ask JH or BH!

And, yes, my comments about the correct spelling of 'rumour' were written firmly tongue-in-cheek. Some people may have misunderstood my sense of humour (Commonwealth English) or, if you prefer, humor (American English).
If Mike Campbell isn't prominent enough for an LE, please explain the existence of a Suzanna Hoffs LE - or the John Kay, for that matter. :wink:
Life is suffering; the cause of suffering is desire. Envy is a deadly sin. Save your soul, go ahead and buy another one....
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Just like Chinese, with "traditional" and "simplified", what they use in the U.S.A. is simplified English...
:roll: :lol: :lol:
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

Ric5150 wrote:
redamber wrote:My observations about Mike Campbell's profile were written purely from a UK/European point of view and are nothing other than a subjective personal opinion. The Rickenbacker Corporation may well have considered issuing a LE Mike Campbell model, though perhaps his close association with Tom Petty and his 'signature' Ric made this less likely - you would need to ask JH or BH!

If Mike Campbell isn't prominent enough for an LE, please explain the existence of a Suzanna Hoffs LE - or the John Kay, for that matter. :wink:
Well, in Suzanna's case, I'd have to say its because of her use of a Rick in the early days, in the Bangles, and in Ming Tea. And of course, since she's simply ADORABLE!!! :oops: :oops: :oops:

Suzanna dear, if you're reading this, call me!
jacolyte

Post by jacolyte »

my wish list:
- a 4002
- a 4080
- basses with checkerboard binding (they make them for foreign markets, why not for the USA?)
- more vintage-style basses (rose morris, CS, v63, that sort of thing)
- just generally more variety in the product line

judging by their facebook page, there are no new announcements for 2016. shame. in 2015, i bought five rick basses and one rick guitar; what am i going to buy this year? guess i'll have to lock myself in the woodshed with my 4003Ss and wait for 2017...

color (colour?) me "disappointglo"
jacolyte
--
- 4003 x5, 4003S x3
- other stuff
simer4001
Veteran RRF member

Post by simer4001 »

redamber wrote:Being from the far side of the pond, I have absolutely no inside information on this, but my personal expectations re NAMM 2016 are:

1. Following the release of the 1993 Plus at NAMM last year, the Rickenbacker Corporation is unlikely to release any substantive new models this year, though there might be some colour variations.
2. With due respect, much as you might appreciate his work, Mike Campbell is not a high-enough profile musician to warrant his own Limited Edition model
3. With the release of the 330F (UK), the 330S Tobaccoglo (US) and then the 1993 Plus (worldwide), I fear there is a danger that the 'f-hole' will become too commonplace, and thus devalued, in the product range

Other than that, I would love to see the release of a further batch of the 325C58 MG re-issues (good used examples have become outrageously over-priced) ............... and, finally, the correct English spelling is 'rumour'!
Are you serious about Mike Campbell? You do know they did a Susanna Hoff model and a John Kay model, right? No disrespect to with of them, but Mile Campbell is very well known.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

simer4001 wrote:

Are you serious about Mike Campbell? You do know they did a Susanna Hoff model and a John Kay model, right? No disrespect to with of them, but Mile Campbell is very well known.
Mike Who???
:twisted: :lol: :roll:
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
s4001

Post by s4001 »

Went to Namm
It's a silly place.
20160122_125546.jpg
Attachments
20160123_102402.jpg
20160123_102258.jpg
20160123_102247.jpg
20160122_141515.jpg
20160122_131905.jpg