Converting a 360 to a 370 in 10 minutes.

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Dr. Frankenrick

Converting a 360 to a 370 in 10 minutes.

Post by Dr. Frankenrick »

Take some of those rubber spacers that are used to separate the upper and lower pickguards on your guitar and use them to raise the lower pickguard off the body, one for each screw hole. This mod will mean sacrificing the original upper pickguard or getting a specific 370 upper pickguard to accommodate the third pickup.

As a middle pickup select a surface mount pickup which can sit directly on top of your guitar without any routing and drill a couple of screw holes for it. Cut a square of mousemat foam to place under the middle pickup and run the cable for the middle pickup in under your slightly elevated pickguard. Solder it up and you are good to go.

Ok, maybe 10 minutes is an exaggeration but you get the idea.

To really take full advantage of this you are going to have to add some additional switching. I think there are posts elsewhere on the forum advising some mods to make more/better use of the middle pickup. If you wanted to take it even further you could get a new lower pickguard made with a Strat-style 5-way selector. A Strat switch would normally be too deep for a 360 but because the pickguard is sitting a little higher it will now fit.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Re: Converting a 360 to a 370 in 10 minutes.

Post by jdogric12 »

Go home, Doc. You're drunk. :lol:
teb
Advanced Member

Post by teb »

I converted both of my twelves from two pickups to three..... but not in ten minutes. If it's worth doing and you're looking at drilling screw holes in a perfectly good guitar, then I think it's worth the time and effort to do it properly. After trying all the possible combinations, I finally settled on wiring the middles on their own circuit with a volume pot to blend them, as it seemed to give me the most to work with.
Attachments
DSCF0786.JPG
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Todd, Rare Blend's Stops Along The Way was recorded on a Korg D1600 Mk II! 8)
collin

Post by collin »

teb wrote:If it's worth doing and you're looking at drilling screw holes in a perfectly good guitar, then I think it's worth the time and effort to do it properly.
+1

Grow a pair and do it right! :P
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

And after you add the third pickup, you can add my modified wiring to get more tones out of the guitar than the stock 3-pickup wiring, which wires both the neck and middle pickups together in the up position of the selector.

PM me and I'll send diagrams.
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

Good luck trying to find short pole toasters to make this a simple, 10 minute mod.
Dr. Frankenrick

Post by Dr. Frankenrick »

whojamfan wrote:Good luck trying to find short pole toasters to make this a simple, 10 minute mod.
Loureiro Pickups and Creamery Pickups both offer this.

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”