Acoustic: should I give it another go?

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

cassius987

Acoustic: should I give it another go?

Post by cassius987 »

I taught myself to play guitar on my granddad's old Japanese acoustic, which was not in great shape. Once I could play "Touch, Peel and Stand" by Days of the New (minus the solo), I decided I was bona fide enough to get a real instrument. (It was a Korean Santana PRS that I ultimately did not bond with.) Eventually my obsessions with Tool and Miles Davis (I know, I know) led me to switch to bass, a decision I have never regretted. But I do wish I'd picked up a nicer acoustic along the way now that I know what a good setup feels like. Granddad's guitar feels like playing a cigar box now.

My wife got me a red Epiphone Hummingbird model a few years back from GC -- the cheapest she could find, and it actually played pretty nice for a couple of days but since then it doesn't matter how humid/dry, the guitar just doesn't feel right. Every time I want to pick on it, I get too sucked into the bad setup to focus on playing.

I'd like to start playing acoustic a lot more as a songwriting aid. What should I do? Can a guitar tech or luthier patch my Epi up or should I try to buy something nicer? I could probably get away with something up to $500, but any more than that doesn't seem justified at this point.
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Acoustic: should I give it another go?

Post by jps »

Given your price ceiling for a new acoustic guitar I'd see what a good repair guy can do with the Epiphone first. Find someone who specializes in acoustic instruments, don't waste you time with the electric guys.

What strings are on the Epi? Type, gauge, etc. IS the top bowed/scooped? How is the neck set; is it at the proper angle relative to the bridge?
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

Strings: D'Addario EJ12s. It's just what seemed like an okay choice at the time. Super old by now.

Neck: Straight, but a little shallow on the angle with the body.

Top: Maybe sucked in just a litle around the sound hole near the neck. Not so extreme that it is obvious.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Those are pretty heavy strings; try the EJ26 set, which is Phosphor Bronze at 11-52 gauges, the guitar should feel a whole lot better with those.

You say the neck angle is a bit shallow, did you see this by sighting down the neck from the nut towards the bridge? A good/correct neck angle would put the edge of the fingerboard in line with the top of the bridge (not the top of the saddle) when sighting down it.

The top could have a very slight depression around the sound hole and/or a very slight bellying up behind the bridge and be fine, just watch that it does not become excessive or move around much at all. I don't think the top should sink at all from the sound hole to the neck as that area should be very well braced since it does not contribute much (if at all, despite all the debate as to whether a cutaway affects the sound of the guitar) to the sound of the guitar. My Martin has two cutaways up there and sounds amazing. 8)
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

Thanks for the recommendation, I will give those strings a shot...
LenMinNJ
Intermediate Member

Post by LenMinNJ »

I'll recommend the Blueridge line of acoustic guitars, built in China.

They're very nicely made, and cover the range from beginners guitars to high-end models, from parlor guitars to dreadnoughts and jumbos.

At the upper end of the range, they have a line of solid wood guitars. If you like the small 0-sized rosewood/spruce guitars (as I do), have a look at the BR-361. You can sometimes find them used for around $500. They have a mahogany/spruce version called the BR-341 for a bit less.

I had a BR-361 for a few years (along with a '52 Martin 000-28 and a '17 0-18k). Loved it enough to find their version of a Martin 0-42 - the BR-371. It's a great guitar for the $700 I paid for it.

If you can spend a bit more, I can recommend a used Taylor 322 (Grand Concert/000 shape). It's all mahogany and never fails to impress me when I play one. It sells new for around $1000. You can find them used occasionally for around $700. (One at that price was just on eBay.)

As you can probably tell, my favorite guitars are usually the smaller ones (0- to 000-sized). For a beginner, I'd recommend the same.

I do have a Gibson J-15 that I love for strumming Everly Brothers songs, but that's an exception to my rule.
wmthor
Veteran RRF member

Post by wmthor »

cassius987 wrote:... I'd like to start playing acoustic a lot more as a songwriting aid. What should I do? Can a guitar tech or luthier patch my Epi up or should I try to buy something nicer? I could probably get away with something up to $500, but any more than that doesn't seem justified at this point.
First, I'd see what a luthier or tech could do with the Epi. Then if you find yourself needing another guitar, I'd recommend that you not overlook a Seagull. A new one would be that would be well within your budget.
'96 1997 LH MG
'98 360 LH MG
'00 360/12 Carl Wilson LH FG
'07 730S Shiloh LH
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I didn't find an Epi H. Bird but I did play a Dove yesterday afternoon at SA. I was surprised at how nicely set up it was and it sounded very nice for an inexpensive guitar. The top was not dished in at all with just the slightest bellying in the lower bout which is normal for just about any acoustic guitar. The bracing above the sound hole kept the upper bout quite flat as it should be.

Get your H. Bird looked at before plunking more money into a different guitar.

If you really want a different, and very nice, guitar, I also played a used Martin 000-28EC that would be an excellent choice!
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

LenMinNJ wrote:As you can probably tell, my favorite guitars are usually the smaller ones (0- to 000-sized). For a beginner, I'd recommend the same.
How do those sizes compare to my cheapo Epi Hummingbird? It seems a smidge big to me, but I never knew dreadnought guitars had sizes.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

cassius987 wrote:
LenMinNJ wrote:As you can probably tell, my favorite guitars are usually the smaller ones (0- to 000-sized). For a beginner, I'd recommend the same.
How do those sizes compare to my cheapo Epi Hummingbird? It seems a smidge big to me, but I never knew dreadnought guitars had sizes.
Dreadnought is a designated size (with some minor variations). it is the "standard look" that most people think of when they think of an acoustic guitar. Smaller body sizes are far more comfortable and generally (IMO+E) sound better depending on the woods, bracing, etc. used. I have come to prefer the 000/OM size, overall; it may not be a "cannon" as many dreds are but for my fingerstyle playing that I do the tone is unmatched.
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

So, after selling my Epi, I did give it another go with a Martin 000X1AE. I LOVE this guitar! You are probably aware it's a bit over my original budget, but I am very happy I splurged on it. Beyond sounding fantastic, the tuning stability is kind of crazy... It could go for weeks with only fine tuning.

Now I'm wondering if any guitarists here have advice for my fat bassist fingers. When I try to add substitutions (like 1-5-8-maj10 on E-A-D-G strings), my ring finger on D usually mutes the G. Is it just that I'm making a bad (if obvious) chord shape or is there something wrong with my technique? At least it sounds great when I play fast enough to ignore this part...
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

You do know that is smaller than a Dread, right? I am favoring smaller guitars these days, especially ones with bevels and a Manzer Wedge™ on them for playing comfort. I just looked up the specs on that Martin and it states the nut width is 1 3/4" so it may very well be technique that needs modifying (or your fingers needs modifying! :shock: ), or perhaps the G is not supposed to ring out when you play those particular chords and you are doing the right thing by intentionally :wink: muting it. There are some guitars with 1 7/8" nut, widths and some wider yet (but those are mostly nylon/classical guitars). Just play it for a while to get used to it, and put your fingers on a diet. :D
Ric5150

Post by Ric5150 »

Play a 360/12 for a while - then your fretboard will seem huge. :)

Give it a few weeks before you decide whether your fingers fit. The way I see it, unless a lot of people somehow magically start paying $100/ticket to hear me play, I'm entitled to a few mistakes and/or muted-note chords here and there. Just enjoy the new toy.

I went Gibson shopping about 10 years ago and came home with a Martin 000C-16RGTE. I had ruled-out Martins as being to "warm" for what I wanted at that point, but that 000C was as bright as anything I played and had a big sound for a smaller guitar. It also didn't hurt that a disgruntled, soon-to-be-former GC employee played 'whats the lowest price I can enter without manager approval'. I've gotten some pretty good 'price matches' from disgruntled employees over the years.

Anyway, I'm definitely a fan of 000s.

(...and I finally got my Humminbird with clearance pricing a few months ago.)
Life is suffering; the cause of suffering is desire. Envy is a deadly sin. Save your soul, go ahead and buy another one....

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”