To case or not to case? That´s the question...

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

juanch

To case or not to case? That´s the question...

Post by juanch »

Hello all, I would like to know if it´s ok to put your guitars on guitars stands? Problem is, I know that the hardcase is much safer but since Rickies are pieces of art I like
to see them all the time!! I play them often and I keep them in the case but I can´t see them when I am not playing them!!!. Any problems with heat/coolness/humidity and stuff? What does Rickenbacker suggests? Where do you keep your Rickies? Thanks all!!!
collin

Re: To case or not to case? That´s the question...

Post by collin »

Search this topic. Discussed SO many times.
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

If you have large pets or small children, I would recommend a case. But I've never had problems with leaving them on a stand in a safe place out of direct sunlight. I even put a Mapleglo 4003S I used to own near a picture window in a stand back in the summer of '97 and it ambered up beautifully as a result! Wish I still had it! I'm a little more careful with my guitars, and my 660/12 AFG usually stays in its case, but I don't hesitate to leave it out on a stand if I am working with it a lot. Your mileage may vary...
DriftSpace

Post by DriftSpace »

Nearly every guitar manufacturer (and even most instrument stand manufacturers) recommend that instruments live inside their cases while not actively being used.
Not only does the case protect the instrument from the obvious hazards -- kids, pets, accidents -- but it also allows the instrument more time to adjust to environmental changes by providing a few layers on insulation from the air. A (properly-fitted) case also keeps stress from other directions off the neck.

It's like parking your car in the garage versus parking it on the street; in a few years you'll notice the difference, and you'll have a lot fewer problems with something that's been protected from the elements than with something that's been exposed.

I've been tempted many times to hang my RIC on the wall, but I think the fact that I'm not always looking at it makes it that much more exciting when I do see (and play) it.
teb
Advanced Member

Post by teb »

My twelves have been hanging on my wall for around ten years, along with my 2030, Pedulla Buzz, '69 Hagstrom eight-string, my Hofner and my old Frankenstein Gibson LP bass. No problems whatsoever. I do keep my acoustics (six, twelve and U-bass) in their cases, so that I can humidify them with Dampits in winter, but as long as you make sure the padding on hangers and stands is not reactive to the guitar varnish you should be fine.

If I think about the days when we were traveling around with the band playing gigs and doing studio work, my guitars now live a very stable, charmed life. No spending the night in a cold van parked on a Chicago or Minneapolis street in January, or being brought in from it and opened up ten minutes later for a sound check or to start a recording session - and back then, they were mostly Martins. We did what we could to protect them, but using them to make a living was a lot different from owning them mostly for recreation.

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”