sup with all the Japanese stuff on ebay?

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

sup with all the Japanese stuff on ebay?

Post by jdogric12 »

Did the currency have a big shift this year or something? Most of it is overpriced still, but I'm seeing a lot more stuff coming from Japan in my search results these days. And I wonder if a lot of it is "exporter" entities just taking japanese businesses' sale items and trying to sell for a markup... case in point:

Two listings for the same guitar. We can discuss the disgusting clownglo paint job later!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rickenbacker-01 ... SwhOVXeww0

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-Rickenback ... SwtJZXU2Yo
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: sup with all the Japanese stuff on ebay?

Post by jps »

It is quite amazing how identical those two guitars are, given they are being offered by different sellers. :mrgreen:
scotty

Post by scotty »

Noticed that also Jason.
When I saw the the BG330 for the first time I nearly wet the bed...then I realised it was a big headstock. :lol:
Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/272295253800
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

The yen has actually shifted the wrong way - it is much stronger now vs the USD, even with Japan having negative interest rates. For most of 2015 there were 120 yen to the buck, whereas it is back to 105ish now.

There has traditionally been a Japan v World arbitrage in vanilla second-hand (non-vintage) instruments as the domestic Japanese bid on used items is low. With the strong yen this has closed up for the time being. The flood of listings from Japan may just signal a change in policy from a few sellers - many Japanese traders have been reluctant to ship offshore, but I have seen a few change their tune in the last 12 - 18 months.
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
Ric5150

Post by Ric5150 »

Not sure what's up with the different prices. I've seen stuff double-listed - foreign and US (e.g. Music123 and Musician's Friend), but they've been the same price.

The $20 difference between the two examples doesn't seem like nearly enough margin to make 'brokering' the sale worthwhile.

Odd.
Life is suffering; the cause of suffering is desire. Envy is a deadly sin. Save your soul, go ahead and buy another one....
Ontario_RIC_fan
Advanced Member

Post by Ontario_RIC_fan »

There seem to be a pile of Japanese eBay resellers that have a deal with several retail music outlets to list their inventory of guitars.

That is why we seem to be seeing the same instrument listed multiple times by different eBay sellers (often at different "buy it nows" as well).

A few of the listings contain wording such as this... for a 620

" Description

condition : New 100% mint
Don't miss it!!

【Specs】
Body...SolidMaple w/Binding
Neck...Maple ThrouBody
Fingerboard...Rosewood, 10"R w/Bind
Fret Marker...Triangle
No Frets...21
Scale Length...24 3/4"
Pickups...2 Hi-gain Pickup
Machine Heads...Schaller Machine Head
Case...Standard Hard case

※ Images are the sample.
※ Please feel free to contact us if you have any question.

Do not worry! I may be able to find for you if the item you are looking for is not on my online shop.
Bass, guitar, effector, instrument, drum, new or used etc ... at Japanese market.
Please feel free to give me email about the brand name & item number."
Brian Morton
A Rickenbacker Fan
in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
=========================
67 FG 625
74 JG 4000
76 JG 430
77 JG 620
77 JG 320
79 JG 4001
80 FG 620/12