What's Happened to RAS?

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

stringsncords
Intermediate Member

What's Happened to RAS?

Post by stringsncords »

When I first joined the forum several years ago, RAS (Rickenbacker Acquisition Syndrome) was at a fever pitch - lots of discussion, trading, buying, and selling; it seems that our members couldn't get enough...... RAS is down to a trickle now, and it's mysterious. Have all of our prior members gotten older and moved away from Rickenbacker guitars? Is it the current music scene? Is it the lack of new product from RIC? Or are we just in a down cycle that will hopefully revitalize someday? Why the apathy?

Thoughts?
collin

Re: What's Happened to RAS?

Post by collin »

Because Facebook.
xpitt
Intermediate Member

Post by xpitt »

Hubbies :roll:
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

collin wrote:Because Facebook.
Yep. I use facebook lots (mainly to promote my music, but unfortunately visibility requires engagement), so I can't bash it, but I don't use it for RRF. Seems silly and pointless for accomplishing what the forum does much better.
scotty

Post by scotty »

RAS still happens 8)
stringsncords
Intermediate Member

Post by stringsncords »

It does to me too, Scotty!
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

We're all in RAS Therapy, making us more resistant to collect them all! :lol:
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
wim
Intermediate Member

Post by wim »

We're all taking pills against RAS to help reduce the backlog
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

I found a cure...
I moved to a country where the price for a standard 4003 is nearly $4000...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

cjj wrote:I found a cure...
Yep, the antipodes is a place where a new 4003 is very much a luxury item.... and the collapse of the Oz and Kiwi dollars has made the alternative of importing used items expensive as well.... :( :(
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

antipodean wrote:
Yep, the antipodes is a place where a new 4003 is very much a luxury item.... and the collapse of the Oz and Kiwi dollars has made the alternative of importing used items expensive as well.... :( :(
There is a house across the street for sale, and I think for a very reasonable price......................
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

jps wrote:
antipodean wrote:
There is a house across the street for sale, and I think for a very reasonable price......................
Thanks for the tip, Jeff. Sounds very inviting, but apart from the price of 4003s, Sydney is an exceptionally nice place to be, and I vowed never to move again after transplanting back here from the UK. There is still a box in the garage that I haven't opened - and we've been back 14 years!
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

But, think of it, America is the land of the Rickenbacker! And yeah, we have quite a few boxes that haven't been opened since we moved back to Cleveland from California 26 years ago. But back to the Rickenbackers; you can find them on virtually every street corner, all kinds of them and they come with money in the accessory pockets in their hardshell cases. You open the cases and hold the guitars up over your head and turn them over and BEER and WINE pours out of them. The masses come running down the streets (of gold) to drink down the sweet, jangly beer and Dear Prudence wine to the music of Tom Petty blaring out of every house window, and Genesis music pumping out of car stereos. It's a wild scene here, really............................

Did I say that Rickenbackers are much cheaper here, you could have a whole flock of Ricks in your music studios to choose from, and not a single Kangaroo to punch your lights out when walking down the golden streets back to your McMansion in the Chagrin River Valley or Hunting Valley where the welcome sign says: Welcome To Hunting Valley - No Hunting Allowed.................................................
wim
Intermediate Member

Post by wim »

jps wrote:But, think of it, America is the land of the Rickenbacker! And yeah, we have quite a few boxes that haven't been opened since we moved back to Cleveland from California 26 years ago. But back to the Rickenbackers; you can find them on virtually every street corner, all kinds of them and they come with money in the accessory pockets in their hardshell cases. You open the cases and hold the guitars up over your head and turn them over and BEER and WINE pours out of them. The masses come running down the streets (of gold) to drink down the sweet, jangly beer and Dear Prudence wine to the music of Tom Petty blaring out of every house window, and Genesis music pumping out of car stereos. It's a wild scene here, really............................

Did I say that Rickenbackers are much cheaper here, you could have a whole flock of Ricks in your music studios to choose from, and not a single Kangaroo to punch your lights out when walking down the golden streets back to your McMansion in the Chagrin River Valley or Hunting Valley where the welcome sign says: Welcome To Hunting Valley - No Hunting Allowed.................................................
What are you on,? I'd like to try that!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

wim wrote:
jps wrote:But, think of it, America is the land of the Rickenbacker! And yeah, we have quite a few boxes that haven't been opened since we moved back to Cleveland from California 26 years ago. But back to the Rickenbackers; you can find them on virtually every street corner, all kinds of them and they come with money in the accessory pockets in their hardshell cases. You open the cases and hold the guitars up over your head and turn them over and BEER and WINE pours out of them. The masses come running down the streets (of gold) to drink down the sweet, jangly beer and Dear Prudence wine to the music of Tom Petty blaring out of every house window, and Genesis music pumping out of car stereos. It's a wild scene here, really............................

What are you on,? I'd like to try that!
Whatever TC uses................... :mrgreen:

The last part about Hunting Valley is true, though (so is the rest, really :wink: ).

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”