What's Happened to RAS?

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

cassius987

Re: What's Happened to RAS?

Post by cassius987 »

I'm up to 5 Rics, all basses... It's a bit embarrassing. RAS is clearly doing just fine.

I think special, Ric-specific fora thrived because there wasn't enough of a footprint of Rics on YouTube and elsewhere to sate people's curiosity about them at the time, and they were less plentiful on the market at about the same time compared to now. I remember when I bought my first 4003, it seemed like buying a rare jewel.

Rics are increasingly seen as a perfectly normal bass to own from what I can tell, so there's not as much mystique (nor as much irrational hate). There was a time not long ago when it seemed really like a really polarizing thing to talk about for some reason. I never had any issues with this in the real world (not after I got plugged in, anyway; there was definitely a hater or two over the years who would pester me about wielding a Ric BEFORE their ears got a good thumping).

To me, this quieting down of special fora and normalization of Ric basses (don't know nuffin' bout the geetars) seems like a success for the company and I say good for them. The mystique thing might have worked for a while to burn a searing impression of the iconic sound and shape into our psyche, but now they need to move to the next phase... world domination etc.
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

cassius987 wrote:I'm up to 5 Rics, all basses... It's a bit embarrassing. RAS is clearly doing just fine.
Well,i think a "family photo" is in order,then,right?
:D

IIRC,your collection includes a lot of customised models,which i always enjoy seeing.
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

woodyng wrote:Well,i think a "family photo" is in order,then,right?

IIRC,your collection includes a lot of customised models,which i always enjoy seeing.
Yeah, the 4003S is the only one that's stock, the others aren't even close to it. 8) The 4003S will probably remain stock... probably...

I'll see if I can work up the nerve. I ain't no photog.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

cassius987 wrote:
woodyng wrote:Well,i think a "family photo" is in order,then,right?

Yeah, the 4003S is the only one that's stock, the others aren't even close to it. 8) The 4003S will probably remain stock... probably...

I'll see if I can work up the nerve. I ain't no photog.
So long as you are a rapher your photos will look just fine.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

With 27,000+ Rickenbacker instruments in the active Register RAS is alive an well for those who continue to contribute. Drop us a line!
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Some of us plan to keep it alive! I need to get my post count up, for one thing. It's embarrassingly low for being here as long as I have.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes more posts would be in order, Jeff. :lol:
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
Ric5150

Post by Ric5150 »

admin wrote:With 27,000+ Rickenbacker instruments in the active Register RAS is alive an well for those who continue to contribute. Drop us a line!
Peter - The register and its photos (and price guide) alone would be a huge contribution and resource for those looking to learn about Rickenbackers. (Yes, I realize that's a lot of things to follow with "alone". :wink: )

Add the huge amount of technical information contained within the threads here and what you've created is an amazing resource for all things Rickenbacker (and/or Rickenbacher).

I joined fairly recently but this site has stood out for years by consistently coming up in Google searches for info I was trying to find. I'm glad at least a few 'old timers' have stuck around to carry the torch and help educate us newcomers. You should be very proud of what you and the community here have created.
Life is suffering; the cause of suffering is desire. Envy is a deadly sin. Save your soul, go ahead and buy another one....
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Dan your reply is much appreciated. This site would not have been possible without all of the contributions made over the years by those who love these instruments.

scotty

Post by scotty »

Ive RAS permanently. :mrgreen:
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

admin wrote:Yes more posts would be in order, Jeff. :lol:
+1
xpitt
Intermediate Member

Post by xpitt »

Anyone with more posts than Jeff? :mrgreen:
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

xpitt wrote:Anyone with more posts than Jeff? :mrgreen:
If i were to respond to that all I would be doing is.................. :mrgreen:
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

jps wrote:So long as you are a rapher your photos will look just fine.
Just get up close, point and shoot. Lots easier than taking pictures of people.

BTW, I looked up "rapher." Photographer turned up.
Don't let democracy end democracy.
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

RAS turned to BAMF once I moved back to Los Angeles in 2010):

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”