What's Happened to RAS?

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

rkbsound
Veteran RRF member

Re: What's Happened to RAS?

Post by rkbsound »

There was a time when all I wanted was 1 Rickenbacker, and I made it to 4. Probably would have gone to 6 or 8, but now I'm down to 3 and trying to get to 1 or 2. I would have bought a white one a couple of years ago, but they were so rare, I'd have paid a premium just for color. Now if sno glow were standard I'd just give it "hmmf". Music is changing and Ricks are sort of stuck in the past. A good past, of course, but you can only eat vanilla ice cream for so long. And staring at guitars I don't play is getting boring, too.

The company doesn't help, either. Most companies that have a "cult" following use it to their advantage and play to that crowd a bit. RIC has always been anti-player and more interested in their dealers. This might not actually be true, but it's what I've perceived or observed over many years. RIC could have done more to keep a positive conversation going, which would spill over to here, but I honestly don't think they give it a thought. Too bad, in my opinion.

I still visit here, but there are way too many categories for the traffic. I liked it better when there were fewer sub-forums.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

rkbsound wrote:Music is changing and Ricks are sort of stuck in the past.

The company doesn't help, either. Most companies that have a "cult" following use it to their advantage and play to that crowd a bit. RIC has always been anti-player and more interested in their dealers. This might not actually be true, but it's what I've perceived or observed over many years. RIC could have done more to keep a positive conversation going, which would spill over to here, but I honestly don't think they give it a thought. Too bad, in my opinion.

I still visit here, but there are way too many categories for the traffic. I liked it better when there were fewer sub-forums.
For part 1, I'd say you could replace "Ricks" with "guitars" and be more accurate. Ricks are actually pretty popular with indie bands these days!

For part deux, I think that's just a symptom of being a very small family-run operation. They don't have a whole outreach operation like F & G do. And with JH taking a step back these days, and Ben with his hands full, I imagine the "conversation" you refer to will go from slim to none. Well, maybe not none, but less. But I've definitely noticed what you say about players vs dealers, although they haven't shied away from punishing big dealers who treat players wrong, like GC with the case mess about 10 years ago.

For part three, the number of subforums was appropriate at the time they were created, but facebook killed the traffic here, and a revamp is probably in order. Heck, one day Pete will get sick of being tied to this thing and I'd love to take it over and see it continue to be the great resource it is. There it is, I said it. big matzoh ball hanging out there lol
wim
Intermediate Member

Post by wim »

rkbsound wrote:
I use the 'new posts' link almost exclusively to deal with this.
So to me it's like one big forum, without sub forums.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

wim wrote:
rkbsound wrote:
I use the 'new posts' link almost exclusively to deal with this.
So to me it's like one big forum, without sub forums.
Same here, makes it very easy to know what is new regarding posts.
rkbsound
Veteran RRF member

Post by rkbsound »

I have no problem reading new posts, but I think the vast number of sub forums could discourage actually starting a post.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

rkbsound wrote:I have no problem reading new posts, but I think the vast number of sub forums could discourage actually starting a post.
Welcome to the Pidgeonhole Forum. :mrgreen:
Pigeon Hole-1.jpg
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

RAS? The last one i bought was a bit of a (too) holy grail,very nice,but i wasn't using it,so back it went.
I have 2 Ricks i love,1 i use sparingly,and another one i like,but consider superflous. My RAS has been replaced recently with "other" bass GAS,buying modern Fenders,and vintage Yamaha BB1200 and even a vintage Guild SB-201 basses. For the first time in years,other brand basses outnumber the Ricks in my arsenal.
Oh,OK,I admit I still want a NT 4001-S..... :mrgreen:
donhank

Post by donhank »

woodyng wrote:RAS? The last one i bought was a bit of a (too) holy grail,very nice,but i wasn't using it,so back it went
And I am still eating ramen noodles and turkey dogs twice daily to afford to keep, play, and love her . . . and well worth it !!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

donhank wrote:
woodyng wrote:And I am still eating ramen noodles and turkey dogs twice daily to afford to keep, play, and love her . . . and well worth it !!
Try some mac & cheese with ketchup once in a while.................
donhank

Post by donhank »

jps wrote:
donhank wrote:
woodyng wrote:And I am still eating ramen noodles and turkey dogs twice daily to afford to keep, play, and love her . . . and well worth it !!
Try some mac & cheese with ketchup once in a while.................
tuna / mac / tabasco . . . Mmmm !
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

woodyng wrote:Oh,OK,I admit I still want a NT 4001-S..... :mrgreen:
What's NT? A company producing copies? :lol:
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

electrofaro wrote:
That's a new color: Neon Tortoiseshell. And, the -S indicate a small.
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

jps wrote:
electrofaro wrote:
That's a new color: Neon Tortoiseshell. And, the -S indicate a small.
You 2 should start a comedy routine! :P
(But don't quit your day jobs!) :mrgreen:
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

donhank wrote:
woodyng wrote:RAS? The last one i bought was a bit of a (too) holy grail,very nice,but i wasn't using it,so back it went
And I am still eating ramen noodles and turkey dogs twice daily to afford to keep, play, and love her . . . and well worth it !!
:D :D

That is a very very very nice bass!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

woodyng wrote:You 2 should start a comedy routine! :P
We've been there done that, already. Here is one of our better known works of art:

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”