Hello with a unusual neck question

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Jxff

Hello with a unusual neck question

Post by Jxff »

Hey all,

Just joined and look forward to participating in this very cool forum. A 330 has been on my dream list for many years and I recently came into possession of one to celebrate 10 years as a cancer survivor. Beautiful guitar but the neck profile is the same measurement at the 1st and 12th frets and then it hockey sticks from the first fret to the nut. I would consider it a chunky neck for a Ric, but I find it a bit unusual that it does not slim down a bit as it goes from the 12th to the 1st fret. Is this commonl? Otherwise, it plays beautifully. I understand that necks are basically preference and I have had my share of electrics over the years with all sorts of different neck profiles, this one just seems a bit odd. The interesting part where it thickens up from the 1st fret to the nut feels really weird but you can get an interesting hold near the nut because of it. Has anyone had or played a 330 with a neck like this?

Thanks! Jxff
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Hello with a unusual neck question

Post by jps »

That is pretty common, as it strengthens the area under the neck/headstock joint where the truss rod cavity is.
Jxff

Post by Jxff »

jps wrote:That is pretty common, as it strengthens the area under the neck/headstock joint where the truss rod cavity is.
Thanks, I stopped by my local Ric dealer tonight. You are very right. They have a few in stock with similar profiles. Love the frets and low nut, will get used to the neck.
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

The thickening is to reinforce the structure, since this is where the nut slots for the truss rods are routed out. It serves the same purpose as a volute on other manufacturer's guitar headstocks.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Isn't that a Dean Martin song?

Vo...... lute, whoa oh,
Volute, whoa-oh-oh-oh
no wonder my new guitar sings
Your toasters have given me wings

Right?
:lol:
aceonbass